Best Graphic EVER [Full Gears of War Vids]

Status
Not open for further replies.
And the PS3 wont be out for a few more days so I avoid that debate (though personally I think Gears still beat all the current PS3 launch titles, Resistance being imo the strongest competition)
Can you expand on this further, please. What are you measuring for the 'best looking' title? Is it the detail? Art direction? Lighting? Animation? Combinations thereof?

In my mind, as visuals are made up of different aspects, static and motion and update speed and art style, I don't know how a 'best looking' can be determined. You just get good looking and not so good looking. One game might have the detail sky high, but another less detailed be superbly animated and lit. I don't have an idea of how those different aspects can be consolidated into a 'best' award. How do you come up with that (which I understand is just a personal view)?

Edit : BTW does this game have weapon upgrades and stuff? Most games increase the variety over time. How much more content is introduced over time in GOW?

In my mind, as visuals are made up of different aspects, static and motion and update speed and art style, I don't know how a 'best looking' can be determined. You just get good looking and not so good looking. One game might have the detail sky high, but another less detailed be superbly animated and lit. I don't have an idea of how those different aspects can be consolidated into a 'best' award. How do you come up with that (which I understand is just a personal view)?

There is such a thing as a general consensus.

This video has some of the best quality footage i have seen at 640x360 but its about 500mb to download.
I separated the gow footage which is only 5 minutes 118MB.
Graphics wise looks incredible , though , gameplay will remain the big :?: until the first reviews.

DOWNLOAD HERE

thnx for the link :D

firing sound is awesome in this game :devilish:

I agree with the thread starter.Best graphics in 2006 BY FAR,nothing even comes close to this ,it looks like CGI.The great thing is that they are still improving the graphics,the level 1 video looks better than the E3 level 1 video which allready looked amasing.

I laugh when people bring up games like Crysis,when is this game getting released again???

The gameplay looks brutal and a nice change of pace from the usual "run and gun" shooters.Slow and methodical.

I can't wait to see what the huge monsters will look like in this game.Bravo epic,bravo.Best selling game of 2006 in the U.S market by a mile,i think....

Technically, best looking game of 2006 (IMO).Artistically its pretty average and generic.

It does look better than the E3 demo, biggest difference looks like Lighting, maybe this build has HDR?

Right now I don't think that any game can really compare with it graphically, atleast during 2006 and maybe quite a bit into 2007 as well. What I really like about it is that it has amazing detail and things look "solid" somehow, especially the characters. All that parallax mapping and what not really adds to the whole thing, it feels like there is no straight line or a flat surface anywhere. And for the art, I can understand that people might think it is generic, but I have to say that I like it, especially that whole futuristic but "realistic" feel...

"I agree with the thread starter.Best graphics in 2006 BY FAR,nothing even comes close to this ,it looks like CGI.The great thing is that they are still improving the graphics,the level 1 video looks better than the E3 level 1 video which allready looked amasing."
u dont get out much do u? crysis, lair, alan wake and afew others are easily as good or better looking. of course these are unleased titles, aside from those it is indeed the best looking game about to launch.

Right now I don't think that any game can really compare with it graphically, atleast during 2006 and maybe quite a bit into 2007 as well. What I really like about it is that it has amazing detail and things look "solid" somehow, especially the characters. All that parallax mapping and what not really adds to the whole thing, it feels like there is no straight line or a flat surface anywhere. And for the art, I can understand that people might think it is generic, but I have to say that I like it, especially that whole futuristic but "realistic" feel...
Though that's true, it's also in confined play areas with limited views, and only a few characters. So graphically it's great, but only in a subset of total graphics aspects. If I draw up a list of graphical points that any game will have...

Mesh complexity
Number of objects
Texture resolution
Multiple Textures (normal maps, diffuse, specular etc.)
Dynamic Lighting
View Range
Shader Complexity
Frame Rate
Animation quality (smoothness, nuimber of motions, etc.)
Particle Complexity
Post Effects

Generally speaking a game that excels in some areas will lose out in others. By creating a more enclosed game, you free up resources that would be spent on draw distance that you can focus into the close scenery. This means more RAM for textures and mesh quality, etc.

As such, objectively speaking, I don't see any game that stands above all others. If we take for comparison HS, the detail isn't as high as GOW, but then it's managing hundreds of characters whereas GOW only has to handle a dozen or so.

For one person looking for detail, GOW would be the better looking game, whereas for someone who is missed impressed by epic situations, HS would be preferred.

Scooby said:
There is such a thing as a general consensus.
Definitely. I'd just like to know what it is the majority who agree are agreeing upon ;) For me, I couldn't say whether LocoRoco is the best looking PSP game or Tekken is. Both look good, but in very different ways. Likewise for me, GOW isn't the best looking next-gen title. It's a great looking title in different ways to other great looking titles. I don't mind at all if some people rate GOW the best-looking next-gen title - I'd just like to know how they come to that decision.

Definitely. I'd just like to know what it is the majority who agree are agreeing upon ;) For me, I couldn't say whether LocoRoco is the best looking PSP game or Tekken is. Both look good, but in very different ways. Likewise for me, GOW isn't the best looking next-gen title. It's a great looking title in different ways to other great looking titles. I don't mind at all if some people rate GOW the best-looking next-gen title - I'd just like to know how they come to that decision.

Absolutely agree. And now that you mention it, I have to say that I was a bit surprised/impressed by Monster Kingdom, while watching the latest episode of 1Up. So far it hasn't gotten a lot of attention, but it seems to have some very nice visuals as well as interesting gameplay ...

And at any rate, it would be pretty hard to compare that game with GoW, unless you have some very specific details you are going to compare the games on.

Most statements of "best" are purely aesthetic and visceral... you dont know why... but its appealing like a sexy woman... not quite model quality but just oozes attractiveness...

Gears is pretty in a "tough" kind of way...:)

Anyone else tired of trying to determine whether someone is talking about Gears of War or God of War when they see GoW? Lets just call Gears of War "Gears" from now on to alleviate the confusion! :D

Anyone else tired of trying to determine whether someone is talking about Gears of War or God of War when they see GoW? Lets just call Gears of War "Gears" from now on to alleviate the confusion! :D
That one got me for ages, but now I see it as a Brain Training thing, exercising the little grey cells on acronyms in context.

Guys, the only reason for all this debate over GOW is that it's the flagship title for a Microsoft console. It's that simple. Would it be released on the PS3, or only on the PS3, we wouldn't have nearly as many people questioning its qualities.
It's been the same with Halo 5 years ago, and it'll be the same with whatever game MS pushes the most on their next console.

I have seen a lot of valid points.

What it all comes down to is this, come emergence day, someone tell me a game that has been released at that time, that rivals almost all aspects of Gears.

This game has clearly gotten better over the months and hot damn I am psyched!

"I agree with the thread starter.Best graphics in 2006 BY FAR,nothing even comes close to this ,it looks like CGI.The great thing is that they are still improving the graphics,the level 1 video looks better than the E3 level 1 video which allready looked amasing."
u dont get out much do u? crysis, lair, alan wake and afew others are easily as good or better looking. of course these are unleased titles, aside from those it is indeed the best looking game about to launch.
And you can't read.I wrote IN 2006,none of the games you mention will be released in 2006(oh and Lair looks like a piece of shit)

Guys, the only reason for all this debate over GOW is that it's the flagship title for a Microsoft console. It's that simple. Would it be released on the PS3, or only on the PS3, we wouldn't have nearly as many people questioning its qualities.
It's been the same with Halo 5 years ago, and it'll be the same with whatever game MS pushes the most on their next console.
Exactly.It's funny how people are trying to say that it's not that good looking cause it's not pushing a million enemies on screen or something.The same people never gave enough credit to the Halo games for what they were trying to achieve.I,also,don't remember such criticism for games like RE4.

For GOW it's been like this:
E32005:"GOW looks great cause it runs on a pc with dual 6800"
X06:"GOW looks great and runs on the 360 but has frame rate and animation problems"
In Between: "Bullshots,no way it will look like that"
E32006:"GOW looks great and the animation is much improved but frame rate blahblahblah"
X06:"Gow looks great,has good animations,solid 30fps frame rate but the.....dialogue is meh and the art is not so good"

I wonder where all these art critics are on trully hideous games in that department like resistance.

Anyway GOW is the 1st game to approach the killzone CGI,whether some people like it or not.

Best Graphics ever? Well yeah imo atleast if PC exlusive like Crysis are counted out. I mean here is my take on the matter...

After I watched all the footage that came out from TGS I was blown away by the quality of the PS3 titles. It's clear that PS3 developers have had lot's of time to polish their titles and the new worldwide company policy where sharing of technology and information seems to really pay off for them. Almost all the games I have seen on PS3 are atleast 9/10 graphically, or atleast higher percentage than on the X360. So I think so far it seems that PS3 games on average have better graphics than 360 games imo.

I believe that it has more to do with the deveplopment community sharing their ideas between studios than the machine itself, although it's clearly a beast.

However at the end of the day in my book Gears is graphically 10/10 and it spanks everything I've seen on PS3 or on X360 by a margin that is clearly seen. I'm super excited about this game, I just hope that other X360 developers can match or exceed this in the future. I know the "huge" titles are going to accomplish that, but I want the quality to spread more evenly across all games.

Though when I look at the titles that are coming out next year, I must say I'm not too worried about all of this really. Great times ahead indeed...

Last edited by a moderator:

I wouldn't have expected you to post such a silly comment. Can't you concieve that other people could have a different perception? I, myself, am not impressed with this game (especially animation and art style that I find fugly as hell's servant. For me, once the characters move, the magic evaporates), but I know of people who disagree heavily. I wouldn't go as calling them trolls... (Yes that's what you meant...).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back