Banjo Threeie

I feel Banjo has the most impressive texture work of any of the exclusives coming out this fall. I'm not really excited for the actual game itself, as I am not sold on the vehicular aspects, but I will certainly give it a look for the aesthetics. Aaah, and vibrant colours!!!

I feel Banjo has the most impressive texture work of any of the exclusives coming out this fall. I'm not really excited for the actual game itself, as I am not sold on the vehicular aspects, but I will certainly give it a look for the aesthetics. Aaah, and vibrant colours!!!

When I look at the gif I created of Banjo running through Showdown Town, it looks more impressive than anything I've seen. Rare has done great with this. Also, this game uses the engine that Rare will use in the future.

I love games like this , they come out of no where and show us how far these consoles can be pushed. Then when reminded these consoles are really from 2005, I start to dream of what current hardware will be able to push out in the future.

This game is really beautifull

Okay, what are people seeing that's so impressive that I'm not? :???: Draw distance is good but nothing beyond the norm from what I've seen. Artwork's okay, though a little messy for my tastes. Textures are on the whole high quality though with some dodgy ones, quite probably as it's still a WIP. On the up-side, there are a lot of unique textures, but on the flip side of that, they aren't the most complex things from what I'm seeing. There isn't a lot of multi-levelled textures. The surfaces aren't shaded in exciting ways, everything being pretty flat. Shadows are excellent, but lighting is uninteresting with very little dynamic lighting from what I've seen.

IMO there are a lot of nicer looking, more technically impressive games out there on XB360. How much difference is there between this and Kameo, even? What is impressing some people about this graphics engine? :???:

Okay, what are people seeing that's so impressive that I'm not? :???: Draw distance is good but nothing beyond the norm from what I've seen. Artwork's okay, though a little messy for my tastes. Textures are on the whole high quality though with some dodgy ones, quite probably as it's still a WIP. On the up-side, there are a lot of unique textures, but on the flip side of that, they aren't the most complex things from what I'm seeing. There isn't a lot of multi-levelled textures. The surfaces aren't shaded in exciting ways, everything being pretty flat. Shadows are excellent, but lighting is uninteresting with very little dynamic lighting from what I've seen.

IMO there are a lot of nicer looking, more technically impressive games out there on XB360. How much difference is there between this and Kameo, even? What is impressing some people about this graphics engine? :???:

I would say it's the combination of a solid engine & great art that seems to resonate with so many over any sense of technical marvel above & beyond what we've seen so far..

It's probably a matter of personal taste however. I like what I see in this game almost as much as my brother hates it for example..

That's what I'm thinking. Enthusiasm isn't actually on technical achievement. The game is resonating (good term!), and that's attracting positive comments in the technical side without actual technical considerations. Which is cool. Just wanna make sure I'm not missing any secret videos of Rare's realtime global illumination engine and spline-based procedural geometry!

That's what I'm thinking. Enthusiasm isn't actually on technical achievement. The game is resonating (good term!), and that's attracting positive comments in the technical side without actual technical considerations. Which is cool. Just wanna make sure I'm not missing any secret videos of Rare's realtime global illumination engine and spline-based procedural geometry!

Rare is doing things like geometric style real time radiosity and other things with this engine. Outside of the normal things like tons of polys, varied textures and huge vistas, I have the 720p vids of Banjo from IGN insider and I don't see a lot of games comparing to this visually.

What do you mean by geometry radiosity? Have you got an example pics? I haven't seen anything advanced in the lighting department in the media I've seen, though of course you want good video to see lighting effects.

I'd have to dig up the info but i read that Rare was using MEMEXPORT and the HW tessellator, to what effect exactly I'm not sure but it's nice to see it being explored. hidef vids show a fairly large map area and seem to expose some awfully attractive elements. Also most previews are describing the use of textures as very good due to each piece of the world being made up of various, easily identifiable unique materials.

When I saw the first footage that came out I wasn't too impressed and assumed that the (supposedly) complex physics might hamper the framerate a bit. However, this is looking more and more impressive each time I see it.

Is there racing in this game? How much do we know about the modes "within" the game with all the customization of vehicles and such? From what I have read it seems you can build vehicles and then compete with friends over live?

@ Shifty: I think you are looking at the game wrong. Putting art aside (which can be difficult because art and technology go hand-in-hand), from the little I have seen of Banjo what sticks out is that it tends to lack a lot of "nasties." In this regards it reminds me of the phenominal looking R&C game on the PS3. Banjo has a solid amount of detail, is colorful, and seems to have a balance of draw distance and quality/variety to the visuals. I personally don't like the art style much (seems very cluttered to me as well), but I can see the attraction visually. The images aren't washed out and a lot of the "common criminals" of graphic eye sores are absent. I am rooting for Rare to use this engine for a racer of sorts. Their old Diddy game mixed kart, boat, and flying racing in a Mario Kart like setting and it was fun (although lacking some of the MK charm and polish).

I'm not sure I agree with you, it is technically and visually more impressive to me than LBP, especially given the scope of Banjo.

Yeah, but LBP isn't a really a showcase for extremely advanced graphics -- Sony certainly isn't selling it as one. I'm not sure if BK3 is (I don't think I've seen Microsoft sell it that way), but I think that's the crux of Shifty's doubt. What exactly is so technically advanced about the engine that has people praising it?

I'm not going to let this thread get derailed into a versus thread, but LBP is a good example of a technically impressive engine, whether you like its look or not. It has 'irradiance slice' or similar advanced lighting, unlike any other game made. It also has advanced 2D fluid dynamic effects. It is certainly doing things in a technically advanced engine.

I haven't seen anything for Banjo that is technically advanced, at least not beyond the norm for this gen. View distance, texture quality etc. aren't way out there. Texture quality is generally good, but it's also simple. If they're not using the memory to store multiple textures per material, such as not having a specular map per texture, the space saving can be used in higher resolution colourmaps for the textures they are using. And draw distance is nice enough, but geometry detail isn't outlandish, so it just seems a normal technical achievement to me. The only feature that's, to me, looked above the norm, is the shadowing that looks artefact free, very clean.

This isn't dissing Banjo at all! It looks good. I just don't see Rare are doing anything that no-one else is doing, and I don't see this engine as an more impressive than a host of others, either in quality rendered or use of the hardware. The only reason to post is because I'm ever looking out for new, exciting graphics technologies in games, and wherever people call out a game as looking impressive, I have a nose to see tricks the devs might be using.

This all said, I have some new stuff to look at when I get chance that may reveal more advanced features than I've found so far.

the reason you dont see anything technically amazing with this game, is for the simple fact is not very special at all.
Whilst I do love the color+artstyle truth be told, I saw the last photo (with the footballs) + thought it was a wii game. looking closer at some other shots its obviously better than most/all wii games but its still in no way what I'ld call amazing

What are you comparing it to? To my eyes there’s a good deal more to the visuals in this than other similarly styled games like Ratchet & Clank, or Kameo (especially Kameo).

935846_20080519_screen001.jpg

Whether it's down to art or technology, the lighting seems very pleasant and natural.

What are you comparing it to? To my eyes there’s a good deal more to the visuals in this than other similarly styled games like Ratchet & Clank, or Kameo (especially Kameo).

Whether it's down to art or technology, the lighting seems very pleasant and natural.

considering the scope it's magnificent. I'm buying it for the eye candy alone and hope it's fun ;). that weave floor is an example of the world's textures referred to in previous post from previewers.

Back