Predict: The Next Generation Console Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
The original xbox 360 press release claimed the! system had a total of over 1 teraflop FP performance. They'll find some way to claim 8x ;)

Actually they said the box was capable of 1 trillion instructions per second. It takes many instructions to calculate a single flop

Edit. Just realised you said original xbox 360, i only read original xbox!

Still holds true tho. The original xbox was a 1 trip box.

Actually they said the box was capable of 1 trillion instructions per second. It takes many instructions to calculate a single flop

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/8233/Xbox-360-Officially-Announced/

With more than one teraflop of system-floating point performance, a three-core PowerPC-based CPU for the most-advanced artificial intelligence and physics processing...

I'll say no more because my 8TF comment has already severely derailed the topic. :oops:

SSJ1 or SSJ3 :p

SSJ3 of course. So much customization and new tricks that will surprise :)

It wasn't the other way around?

The earliest rumours for PS4 were simply steamroller and a GPU, and then there's that document for Xbox strategy with the APU/GPU config (Yukon) and then the patent stuff surfaced (related or not, it at least puts different ideas into different camps).

China AMD guy is very insistent on a single big APU for 720. I think MS got SoC/APU happy after their experience with the slim model.

I still think PS4 will go Steamroller with Kaveri. Isn't Steamroller supposedly a good fit for Cell emulation?

I don't really like VR stuff. And never really understood the hype for it. Just seems like the next wave of 3D type gimmicks.

Why would someone wear a giant headpiece for gaming instead of just on a monitor/tv?

What, 8 TF you say? :p

Everything is either 8 or divisible by 8. So they'll probably wait until the 8th minute of their E3 presentation to reveal the Xbox. In some ways it seems crazy but in other ways it sounds entirely plausible. Heck they'll probably make the limit for the total number of connected controllers 8 too just for the hell of it. They'll also cool it with an 8 inch fan with 8 heat pipes. Honestly though it really sounds like someone is pulling our legs and the frequency of these rumours is almost as if it is a deliberate misinformation campaign/expectation management so that when they finally release the system we aren't disapointed because we were expecting something ridiculous. Heck if they have us thinking it is going to have a 1.5TF GPU and it ends up with a 2.5TF GPU we're going to be pleasantly surprised at this point.

I don't really like VR stuff. And never really understood the hype for it. Just seems like the next wave of 3D type gimmicks.

Why would someone wear a giant headpiece for gaming instead of just on a monitor/tv?

Because, this way you are COMPLETELY in the 3D game space, you cant see black bars around it, and each eye receives its own image [no flickering, ghosting, bluing, crosstalk]. Its pretty much the best way of viewing 3D content that we managed to create. Cheap tech, extremely immersive, and it can fool our brain very easily into thinking that we are transported somewhere else.

People will say it's more immersive, I just find it more distracting and disconcerting myself. I doubt VR will get any significant attention as long as requires unwieldy hardware strapped to your face. I hope they keep working on it but I wouldn't put any hope on it having any impact in the next gen.

Karak mentioned last he read the edram (escram?) amount was supposedly 300MB, which I'm not sure is accurate or feasible.

No. I stated that someone on Beyond 3d in one of their posts had done some calculation for what edram would be needed. It was in this thread I think. Couple days/weeks ago.

Heh, if only you knew... :)

Interesting. Two pieces of information I had not seen anywhere else. I'd say his source is legit. (And it's not me ;))

BK's revenge: troll the geeks!

Your not an insider...are you?

We keep getting conflicting information from one side and the other, so to definitively say that the GPU will be weak..

No, but he did stay at a Holiday Inn Express. That and he just likes to make firm, absolute statements but won't back them up/sig them.

Someone posted a question about how much was needed if durango had sdram. I remembered reading something here so I pointed them to the forum here and said what I thought I remembered be written. That was about that.

There's this from last year, and some other posts too. There are tons of configs though. :p

I think 80MB would have been a decent sweet spot for various 720p/1080p AA situations with MRT situations, particularly with FP16, but there's always the silicon cost anyway and just how much performance they can actually get out of it. Even if one weren't bloating the space with MSAA data, there'd be room for more buffers or something.

Something around 40MB wouldn't be the end of the world, but... you know, more = less headaches for tiling. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back