Predict: The Next Generation Console Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was kind of adorable how Ken would get excited about things like that.

I always wondered if he spec'ed out a gigabit ethernet port on the PS3 with an eye towards something along those lines.

It was kind of adorable how Ken would get excited about things like that.

I always wondered if he spec'ed out a gigabit ethernet port on the PS3 with an eye towards something along those lines.

Pretty condescending towards someone who's probably as responsible as anyone else for the way consoles have evolved to where they are.

Sorry about that. Kuturagi kind of broke my fan-boy heart, I'm afraid.

It's still exciting to read a Sony technologist talking about what may be, but I've been hurt before.

Sadder but wiser I am now.

Also, the notion of Cell being a technology that would enable Internet-scale distributed computation was, specifically, pretty silly. Cell had (has) the promise of more scalable multi-core, even multi-socket computation, but he kind of got out there talking about it.

Sometimes I think these guys get pulled into their own hype, it makes them interesting at least, and I think it's ok to laugh at the stupid things people do and say despite their contributions or someones objections. It's not like you promoting hatred or something stupid.

Ah, I thought some places were maybe skipping 28nm and so it could perhaps be used as a discriminating factor. I guess not though.

I really find it unbelievable that they would go for a design with 3D stacked memory in the launch PS4 unless they are aiming for a 2015 launch or later, but all the rumours of studios working on next gen games already indicates it will come earlier than that. The 3D stacked memory technology is just to bleeding edge. If Sony has learnt anything from the PS2 and PS3 launch it should be that they should not depend on bleeding edge components that can have yield problems.

However, they could maybe launch with vanilla GDDR5 memory that in future models is quickly replaced with more dense 3D memory as a cost down measure when 3D memory goes main stream. He may just mean that their design takes such a transition into account, that would make more sense in my opinion.

It appears to be a she. Pleasant enough looking as well google image search tells me :p

I find the quote hard to believe and surely wild speculation on her part. We already know of Wii U, and I just cant see Sony or MS doing that.

Heck in that roundtable I watched yesterday (posted in e3 hardware thread) Mark Rein specifically said next gen will be "A console, with more compute power", as opposed to facebook, cloud or anything, being insinuated by another guest. And he would seemingly know.

Well 5-6 years ago, MS looked at consoles as crucial, even though they took a bath on Xbox. They wanted to stake their turf on the battle for the living room.

Now, the coveted ground seems to be mobile, so maybe either MS or Sony is ... distracted by trying to be successful in the mobile realm.

I'm sure the other two will dance for joy if that's true. Cloud isn't ready and mobile won't be competing for COD or Madden dollars for years (if ever).

Mobile is a much bigger market, both in unit and dollar volume. It's sucking up a lot of household discretionary income already and it's going to continue to do so.

I'm sure any company would want a big chunk of that. Obviously MS sees mobile as enough of a threat even to their core desktop business so they're modeling Windows 8 to feature the mobile UX.

And Sony would love to move the volume of smart phones and tablets that Apple and Samsung are selling.

Mobile is a much bigger market, both in unit and dollar volume. It's sucking up a lot of household discretionary income already and it's going to continue to do so.

I'm sure any company would want a big chunk of that. Obviously MS sees mobile as enough of a threat even to their core desktop business so they're modeling Windows 8 to feature the mobile UX.

Exxon made like $57 billion in 2010, should they all start drilling oil? The fact is none of them will capture a huge portion of that mobile market just because they throw their hat into the ring (and the mobile software market is still relatively small in comparison to consoles). There's money to be made there and it's going to be spread around over many large players. Someone will be making a next generation console for the people that want COD and the like, because there's still billions to be made in that industry for the foreseeable future.

And Sony would love to move the volume of smart phones and tablets that Apple and Samsung are selling.

Yes and diving into competition with huge established players has always proven to be profitable./sarcasm

Enough competition might wind up being good for consumers, and it could also wind up in a war like LCD TVs, Samsung is by far the market leader in sales, but lost money on their TV sales last year. So big markets don't always lead to big profits. Sony and MS both have established brands with the console space that I just don't see them giving up. MS is certainly big enough that it's not like they are spreading themselves too thin, and I think Sony making an announcement of the sort at E3 would reflect poorly on the future of vita. I wouldn't be surprised if either of them tested the cloud gaming waters, but I don't think they would drop console hardware.

It appears to be a she. Pleasant enough looking as well google image search tells me :p

I find the quote hard to believe and surely wild speculation on her part. We already know of Wii U, and I just cant see Sony or MS doing that.

Heck in that roundtable I watched yesterday (posted in e3 hardware thread) Mark Rein specifically said next gen will be "A console, with more compute power", as opposed to facebook, cloud or anything, being insinuated by another guest. And he would seemingly know.

Come to think of it, while we've heard rumors galore on the MS/xbox front, there has been little to nothing of PS4 rumors/data going on... Indicator, maybe? They have been doing poorly this gen, and did take the largest hit on hardware for a the longest time.

True, there are established players in mobile but there were established players in consoles when MS came in from zero previous presence because they thought it was a strategic market and a potential threat to the desktop OS.

MS shouldn't give up consoles because after a long slog, it's finally making money. But I wouldn't be surprised if they prioritize mobile over consoles. So far, they haven't gone into the HW business like they did with consoles but if they end up buying RIM or Nokia, that would be going all-in, way more of a bigger investment than consoles.

Sony may have no choice but to stay with consoles. They're looking for profitable businesses and the Playstation division was one of their few big successes so they're not going to give it up easily. You're right though, they may not have the stomach to enter a business in which there are entrenched competitors.

Besides Apple, Samsung seems to be the only company making big profits in mobile, as HTC's sales lagged.

Remember , this isn't the thread to determine what business strategy will be tried. There are threads for discussing the future of gaming. This thread should stick to speccing boxes, even if those boxes never see the light of day. ;) Or rather, if your guess is an OnLive box, provide the specs that'll make that OnLive box.

Gaikai is getting desperate it seems. The tech seems slightly better than Onlive (works on a browser directly) but Onlive is pwning them when it comes to device support.

They would be a smart buy for Sony or MS no doubt. This is the future but not mainstream enough still to support millions of users. Sony should put it in every TV they produce.

Pretty condescending towards someone who's probably as responsible as anyone else for the way consoles have evolved to where they are.
I don't miss Ken because he was good to laugh at. There are plenty of people I can laugh at. I miss Ken because he had vision. He may not have been able to deliver entirely on the vision, but he tried his damnedest, and it made the whole ecosystem better as a result. I want to live in the world that Ken believes can exist, just like I want to play the video games that Molyneaux believes can exist.

There are far too few people in the videogame industry now with vision, they're all too focused on quarterly financials. Microsoft lost J. Allard and Bill Gates (Ballmer would never have greenlit the xbox program), Sony lost Ken, and I think both companies are diminished by their absence.

Yes, I can see MS and Sony switch focus to network play, but still continue to release devices in cooperation with partners. They don't really need to make *all* the devices themselves. HTML5, OnLive/Gakai, P2P networks, traditional client server are all doable

A P2P interactive video streaming network (aka Cell network) has indeed been deployed by Cellius (Namco Bandai) for the Japan market for 1-2 years now. I remember Namco (or another Japanese game company ?) also has a game streaming tech similar to OnLive/Gakai when PS3 first launched.

Microsoft definitely has the infrastructure to implement a network-centric gaming experience.

The key challenge should be [drum roll] security. HTML5's canvas and WebGL stuff open up a big hole on the client. P2P network is associated with piracy. OnLive/Gakai subscription needs a completely locked down server environment.

EDIT: I would love a study of the Cell P2P VoD network economics, whether it does save server and network $$$. If so, how much. And is there any performance degradation ? How big can it scale ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back