Car advice

Frank

Certified not a majority
Veteran
While discussing the new stage of the project I'm working on, my manager told me that "by the way, I've completely forgotton about that", they decided last January to hire me permanently, but that they had so far forgotten about the paperwork...

And that might include a leased car, if I want one. But, the only car I would like is an Impreza WRX (they finally got it right the last facelift), but as cars are very expensive here (add 60% tax), my manager thought that was a bit expensive in full-operational lease. Although our director said he might buy the Impreza 2.0R. And I would be plenty happy with that one. I might even opt for extra money instead and buy one of those myself, or just keep driving my current (extremely cheap) one.

And while pondering the above, my current car breaks down.

Anyway, if that turned out to be still too expensive (unhappy co-workers), I really have no idea whatsoever what other car I might want. No Mercedes, BMW or Audi (which are all less expensive to lease, as they are regarded as premium cars and so keep their value), but otherwise I'm open to suggestions.

I like supeb handling and grip most, sporty, reliable and it has to look acceptable. Any ideas?

Nissan 350Z. :)

CleanZ.jpg

For right around $30k it's about the best bang-for-buck you can get in a sportscar, and it's a HELLA lot of fun! :cool:

Well, nice car, but the cheapest one costs $ 61,000 over here.

An Impreza WRX costs $ 40,000 and is rather expensive in full-operational lease (that's including fuel, taxes and insurance), as they calculate a high fuel expense and a low resale value afterwards. And perhaps a larger chance of accidents for it being sporty.

I have a Legacy GT wagon. Very fast, good handling, nicer interior than the normal Subaru, and decent gas mileage. (Ok, not so decent compared to other less performing euro cars).

Of course, its probably more expensive than the WRX you were talking about...but its faster. :)

RussSchultz said:
I have a Legacy GT wagon. Very fast, good handling, nicer interior than the normal Subaru, and decent gas mileage. (Ok, not so decent compared to other less performing euro cars).

Of course, its probably more expensive than the WRX you were talking about...but its faster. :)
Yes, nice car. ;)

But all the new Impreza models are fine by me. 160 BHP or more, sport seats, leather steering wheel and clutch, AC standard (still not very regular in our chilly country), four airbags and all the other goodies. Although I like the WRX better. A bit more agressive looking, even more sporty seats, etc.

It depends on what you value most, but both are great cars. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Btw, I would really want AWD if possible. But that might make things rather hard, as I don't know of any other car in that price range that has that and isn't some kind of ugly and underpowered mini-SUV.

Can you get the Saab 9-2x over there? I think it's a US only car, but it might be worth looking at. It's 99% WRX, just the front end was changed to look "Saabish"

JBark said:
Can you get the Saab 9-2x over there? I think it's a US only car, but it might be worth looking at. It's 99% WRX, just the front end was changed to look "Saabish"
Good idea!

But it turns out that they're indeed not sold over here: the simplest one is the Saab 9-3, and that is in the same price range as the 350Z.

Honda Integra Type R, Toyota Celica(not super powerful, but good handling), Nissan 200SX, Peugot 206(Wrx version). Any of the WRX car models from any of the manufacturers will be good.

Blitzkrieg said:
Honda Integra Type R, Toyota Celica(not super powerful, but good handling), Nissan 200SX, Peugot 206(Wrx version). Any of the WRX car models from any of the manufacturers will be good.
- Honda Integra Type R: unavailable, and even the Civic is pretty soon more expensive than the Impreza 2.0R. Incredible, but true.

- Toyota Celica: unavailable, the Corolla (hmmm) in sporty fit is more expensive than an Impreza WRX, and definitely less nice.

- Nissan 200SX: unavailable, they have no other sporty models that aren't much more expensive than an Impreza. And those aren't very nice, except the 350Z.

- Peugeot 206 WRX: hm, hard to say (pretty bad site), but what I could find was more expensive for less.

Thanks anyway! But from this selection, it just seems that the Impreza is REALLY good bang for your buck. And it has AWD, more power, much better suspension, sporty interior and such as a free bonus over the competition.

Well, you could try a Volvo S60R. It'll put an Impreza 2.0r to shame and be more comfortable while doing it. I suppose it might be a bit over the top though, at least for your wallet.

How about Mazda6? Also too expensive? These look nice.

Otherwise, an Opel Vectra could do as wel, methinks. Maybe the OPC-version?

DiGuru said:
Well, nice car, but the cheapest one costs $ 61,000 over here.

An Impreza WRX costs $ 40,000 and is rather expensive in full-operational lease (that's including fuel, taxes and insurance), as they calculate a high fuel expense and a low resale value afterwards. And perhaps a larger chance of accidents for it being sporty.

Where are you living?

_xxx_ said:
I think he's in Holland.

Well, then he should check prices in the other EU member states, there're sometimes quite large price differences depending on the model.

hupfinsgack said:
Well, then he should check prices in the other EU member states, there're sometimes quite large price differences depending on the model.
Yes, but you have to pay a quite hefty tax when you import a car from another EU country. We have a special car tax of 40%, for starters.

_xxx_ said:
How about Mazda6? Also too expensive? These look nice.

Otherwise, an Opel Vectra could do as wel, methinks. Maybe the OPC-version?
No Opel Vectra for me. I don't like them and everyone drives one.

A Mazda 6 might work, it's the most popular lease car at our company at the moment (the cheapest variant). Hm.

Back