PS Business Briefing 2006 March official info

PS Biz Brief '06: High-Def PS2 and PSOne Games
Legacy titles to be displayed in high-definition.

Sony today announced that not only is the PlayStation 3 to be 100% backwards compatible, but all legacy titles played on the system will be displayed at high-definition resolutions. The Xbox 360 currently does the same thing and the result on that end is much sharper image quality for older games.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/696/696055p1.html

also

Basic online service will be free; will begin same time as PS3 release date

Last edited by a moderator:
Yo, Alpha and Xbot, save it for another thread. ;)

We've been waiting a long time for this info - let the celebration take place and the questions can be addressed when we're all hung over tomorrow. ;)

What's the point in trying to stick your finger in a dam that's breaking?

Xbot360 said:
I love how a huge delay is now "INCREDIBLE GREAT NEWS!!!" All because of the lowered bar set this morning.

Think about it. We're getting the system as late as anybody rationly expected prior to today. Meaning, late fall. How is that great?

Also if Sony includes a HDD, I'm here to tell you they just screwed up bigtime.

But knowing Sony, they'll just change it later and nobody will criticize them for that. Just like nobody criticized them for not including a HDD standard from the start.

It is great news, particularly if you live anywhere but Japan. When were you expecting PS3 to come out in your territory? Here (Australia) I was expecting Christmas at the earliest but more likely March 2007. A worldwide release (praying that Australia and New Zealand are considered part of the world) is awesome in my book, and also a good boost for Blu-ray.

I'm curious to know, why would including an HDD in PS2 be "screwed up bigtime"? That makes no sense!

Xbot360 said:
Looks like MS sets the trend again.

Course when MS does it they're stupid when Sony does it a year later they're brilliant :smile:

If Sony pulls it off with plenty of units, unlike the X360 launch, then it will be brilliant. I always thought launching globally is a great idea, but MS just had very poor execution. The ball is now in Sony's court to see if they can do it right.

Xbot360 said:
Looks like MS sets the trend again.

Course when MS does it they're stupid when Sony does it a year later they're brilliant :smile:
QFT.

Watch all of the "worldwide launch is stupid" naysayers now praise Sony for doing it.

typoEDR said:
God, I'm actually shaking because I'm so excited. Maybe it's because I finished my proposal.

Imagine if something actually happens! :LOL:

On supply, 90nm should have a lot more time..it's entirely possible to produce more I suppose. Basically they have more time (theoretically).

Hey I got nothing against the Euro guys here.

But I'd rather that they make sure we get ours first here.:devilish:

Alpha_Spartan said:
QFT.

Watch all of the "worldwide launch is stupid" naysayers now praise Sony for doing it.

Well it'd be a slightly different situation if they managed to get anywhere near 6m units out in 06..

While we're on the subject of the hard drive - since it was raised - unless somethign turns up today indicating otherwise, like many have always said, I would expect a compulsory bundle a la the PSP 'value pack' that includes an HDD rather than the HDD actually being a requirement to the PS3's operation. I guess we'll see what happens, but truly making it an integral part of the base system really would be a serious albatross hanging over future cost reductions.

Alpha_Spartan said:
QFT.

Crying bitter ****** tears?

6M units at launch is NOT stupid.

1.5M in 2 months IS.

Sorry if Sony can do it in a way that is actually not stupid. But please, keep trying to shit on this with pathetic damage control.

Babelfish to rescue:

Concerning the specifications of PS3, it made that 60G byte HDD of 2.5 inches and Linux OS are loaded clear. In addition, we assumed that the game for PS3 makes BD-ROM entirely, arranges the system which can produce month 1000 ten thousand BD-ROM in the entire world.

Back