Famitsu gives FFXII a perfect 40/40

the summons effect better be worth it.

You can summon a demon in the dungeon part of the demo that comes with DQ8. I'll go out on a limb and say you probably won't be disappointed with the effect :smile:

GB123 said:
LMAO what were you expecting from this game?

You complain that its not realistic for a horse to walk back and forth waiting to be attacked yet would it be realistic to have something attack you that is invisible?

I never complained about it not being realistic. I complained because it just looks dumb and out of place. One of the things that made recent FF games great was the beautiful, highly-detailed environments that drew you in. Random battles definitely are annoying and silly, but (for me at least) they didn't kill the suspension of disbelief. However, seeing a giant killer horse pacing back and forth at random in a big stone corridor definitely kills it. It looks completely out of place. What the heck is a horse doing indoors anyway? The whole thing has a cheap dungeon crawler feel to it.

For the record, I'm not against the idea of seeing your enemies on the map before you fight them. I think that Chrono Trigger is the only RPG that has pulled this off successfully, however. Usually the enemies are either waiting to amubsh you or just playing in their natural environment. They actually feel like they belong there, unlike a horse wandering in a dungeon for no reason.

If you had a sword as your weapon of choice and continually hacked and slashed at something at some point you would become featigued and unable to fight, so ATB paces a character, different weapons effect your attack speed also.

Yeah I think ATB is cool. The thing I didn't like about FF XII is that you can run up and start humping your enemies, but your character just stands there with their weapon at their side until the gauge is filled. Again, it looks dumb, and more importantly it just feels weird. I would've preferred something like FF X-2 or Skies of Arcadia where, even though it's turn-based, it still looks like one continuous fight and not just a bunch of characters patiently waiting their turn. Even the KOTOR games pulled this off somewhat successfully.

Shark Sandwich said:
I never complained about it not being realistic. I complained because it just looks dumb and out of place. One of the things that made recent FF games great was the beautiful, highly-detailed environments that drew you in. Random battles definitely are annoying and silly, but (for me at least) they didn't kill the suspension of disbelief. However, seeing a giant killer horse pacing back and forth at random in a big stone corridor definitely kills it. It looks completely out of place. What the heck is a horse doing indoors anyway? The whole thing has a cheap dungeon crawler feel to it.

For the record, I'm not against the idea of seeing your enemies on the map before you fight them. I think that Chrono Trigger is the only RPG that has pulled this off successfully, however. Usually the enemies are either waiting to amubsh you or just playing in their natural environment. They actually feel like they belong there, unlike a horse wandering in a dungeon for no reason.

Yeah I think ATB is cool. The thing I didn't like about FF XII is that you can run up and start humping your enemies, but your character just stands there with their weapon at their side until the gauge is filled. Again, it looks dumb, and more importantly it just feels weird. I would've preferred something like FF X-2 or Skies of Arcadia where, even though it's turn-based, it still looks like one continuous fight and not just a bunch of characters patiently waiting their turn. Even the KOTOR games pulled this off somewhat successfully.

Chill out man I think you take these details way too seriously.

FF7 had more issues that looked more stupid and unrealistic.

There were tons of visible bugs when you summoned a monster (or in some limit brake occasions) and the characters were like lego people during exploration and normal during fights.

Oh I forgot.Some monsters could turn you into a frog :p

And when you faught underwater it didnt feel like you were underwater.Characters just stood in the depths of the see as if there was no water at all.And they could breathe too...underwater....

Shark Sandwich said:
I don't agree with the rest you say but this I can understand. Seeing the slow paced combat gameplay footage reminds me of Baldur's gate (the first one) and more recently neverwinter nights. They improved Kotor by adding fighting animations between turns but still, it just a visual detail.
They could solve this by increasing the numbers of attack as you gain more experience or become more proficient with your weapon.

Anyway, I'm not complaining since I'm already happy that S-E left the old school turn based battle system from the 90's behind and finally tries TRUE 3D gameplay.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back