how the enthusiasts feel about ati/nvidia

Mendel said:
Nvidia seems to better support niches such as Opengl and Linux and for that, they get extra props from me compared to Ati.

Neither firm seem very honest though and both seem to resort to secret optimizations. Both also seem to limit user choice for no valid reason (to me) Ati is a bit worse in this respect with no customizable crossfire profiles and no user selectable SSAA bar the small amounts in some crossfire AA modes. Their user selectable higher quality AF pretty much forgives them in this respect though relative to Nvidia.

Ati has currently the fastest non sli/xf card with good image quality and features like HDR+AA too so therefore my money is with them. In the end, what matters is the best product.

another niche for Nvidia is the support of Stereo 3D, even though my pair of edimensional glasses is semi-useless (games's HUD and 2D elements often get in the way, and ghosting, etc. so it narrows the scope of usage), it's nice to be at least able to use them.
game profiles is a plus for nvidia as well, with nHancer it's a good system, whereas with ATI you have to create special shortcuts with a 3rd party tool..
These issues and opengl will keep me on Nvidia, for people who don't care about that (most people I think), nothing wrong at all to go with ATI.

I agree that both firms have their optimisations, the "brilinear" filtering affair on NV3x was a means to compete with ATI's angle dependant filtering, for example.
And now I can forgive lies about filtering. There were way more disgusting lies and fraud about WMDs, terrorist connection etc. which lead in a illegal invasion and occupation, tens of thousands of deaths, etc. so I'll only boycott NV if they are involved in this crap :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Nvidia for 3 reasons
1) Speed.
2) Compatibility with the majority of games.
3) 3DFX technissians work there. ( I sometimes remember what computers were prior to 3DFX thus feel a bit obligated towards them. )

HellasVagabond said:
Nvidia for 3 reasons
1) lard
2) lard
3) 3DFX technissians work there. ( I sometimes remember what computers were prior to 3DFX thus feel a bit obligated towards them. )

Dec engineers work for both intel and AMD, but that sure as hell isn't influencing my purchasing decision.

HellasVagabond said:
Nvidia for 3 reasons
1) Speed.
2) Compatibility with the majority of games.
1) uh, ATI currently has the fastest card. If anything they are more or less equal.
2) I can run every game I've thrown at my ATI card just fine.
3) nvidia was at least partly responsible for 3dfx's downfall. I could be wrong but I think ATI has some ex-3dfx members as well.

Not in the slightest. I don't resent any IHV, I resent bad or simply underwhelming products and frankly I don't see any right now from either ATI or NVIDIA.

Ailuros said:
Not in the slightest. I don't resent any IHV, I resent bad or simply underwhelming products and frankly I don't see any right now from either ATI or NVIDIA.

Me neither, actually. We get caught up in the horse race around here sometimes, and too many people seem to crave disaster for one IHV or other other at any given point. But that's not good for the consumer, or the industry.

I trust ATI more than nVidia. (But neither's marketing :p)
I choose my video card based on each competing product merits.
(Have had Matrox, PowerVR, ATI and nVidia products.)

Ingenu said:

Aw, I really wanted a PowerVR card so I could run POD (remember that futuristic racer) in hardware accellerated mode. Unfortunetely I had a riva 128 at the time, 4MB agp goodness...

From a few (one specifically) I think there is. They have gave NV a free pass, and gave ATi bad press whenever they can. I think if this AEG thing was on ATi's doorstep, they would have pimped it a lot more. But as it is, hardly a peep.

fallguy said:
From a few (one specifically) I think there is. They have gave NV a free pass, and gave ATi bad press whenever they can. I think if this AEG thing was on ATi's doorstep, they would have pimped it a lot more. But as it is, hardly a peep.

AEG thing?

Just do a search for it, Id rather not get into it here.

The simple fact is, its been downplayed by some of the "big" hardware sites. And its my opinion that if it was ATi wrapped up in it, it would have been just the opposite. Plastered all over the front page, probably even with a article about it written up.

fallguy said:
Just do a search for it, Id rather not get into it here.

The simple fact is, its been downplayed by some of the "big" hardware sites. And its my opinion that if it was ATi wrapped up in it, it would have been just the opposite. Plastered all over the front page, probably even with a article about it written up.

Only if your website starts with the letter after "G". :(

rwolf said:
Nvidia supposedly giving free hardware to "Pro" Nvidia forum posters.

i heard about that..... now i have to see why people call it AEG ;-)

you dont HAVE to tell me...... i am a GROWNup and kan luc vor mai thelv. :cool:

but that about ATI not even giving basic 2D support in linux for theire x1000 linup really begs to ask oneself some more questions.

edit: found it... AEG is the company nvidia supposedly hired to "manage" theire community.
hmm.. bad... but in the past and i think nvidia's products speak for themselfs, as do ati's.

Last edited by a moderator:
I trust ATi more than nVidia.

I've owned R9700,R9800,X800XT and now X1900XT and I have always been a happy camper.

When nVidia started massive cheating with their IQ, and then began encrypting their driver I decied never to buy nVidia again.

Last NV card I owned was GF256 DDR (which was nice for the time).

rwolf said:
Nvidia supposedly giving free hardware to "Pro" Nvidia forum posters.

AT put a stop to it. They banned Rollo from posting, which I think is a good thing. [H] seems to like AEG posters, and put up a sticky about it.

Back