New Gears of War Video

Impossible* said:
How could he create it, when killswitch did it first? Maybe perfect it, but create it no.
He knows it's not going to be the first:
Kotaku
Gears of War is certainly one of the most anticipated games for the 360, what gaming innovations do you expect it to bring to the next generation of gaming?

CliffB
I believe that “Gears of War” will be the first game to really establish the “Cover Shooter” as its own legitimate genre. In the past games such as Splinter Cell and Metal Gear Solid established the stealth genre.

Were those the first games to have stealth as a primary element? No, a game like “Thief” was the first title (that I know of) to really REQUIRE stealth but it was too far ahead of its time; ultimately it wound up being more of a cult hit. Games like MGS and Splinter took that idea, put it in a contemporary setting, marketed the hell out of it, and brought it to the mainstream and voila! - we have a new genre.

You can take a director like Darren Aronofsky who innovates with his style and camera work - all the way back to “Pi” and we now see these techniques (such as the chest mounted “vomit camera”) in shlock like “World’s Scariest Places”. It’s audience evolution and it takes time to happen.

Is Gears the first game to feature cover? No. But it’s going to be the best implementation you’ve seen and it will be supported by a publisher who will know how to bring the idea to a legion of gamers who maybe…maybe are be a bit tired of running around deathmatching like chickens with their heads cut off. Gears is to the shooter genre as Tekken is to the fighting genre.
[source: http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/crecen...endo-gears-and-nextgen-with-kotaku-138368.php ]

Last edited by a moderator:
To me, the "cinematic" part of GoW is one of it's weakest, but that should be ok as it is a game first and foremost.
The cutscenes, at least what have been shown, are boring (the camera work mainly).
Don't know, but the main character animation and the camera kinda always ruins the look of the game for me, maybe it would be better if it was a first person game.
And they need to do somehing for the rain effects, doesn't look good enough compared to the rest of the graphics.
Edit: Those above, I think both of them are cutscenes, or PR shots, which are kinda between gameplay and cutscene anyway ;)

Nicked said:
It looks great, and should be fun.
But in-game looks significantly worse than cut-scenes...
Cut-scene:
http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/2332/11300082875qk.jpg
In-game:
http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/2688/11300078457tc.jpg

The difference in quality of the model and the environments is day and night :/
Really makes comparisons to other games tough, cutscenes = best on X360, ingame is not IMO.
?????These 2 shots are from different levels,the "cutscene" one is from a daylight level that's why it looks better.It's not even a cutscene in the traditional manner,the camera zooms in the soldier(to say some mumbo jumbo) and then it zooms out in reall time and the game starts.(well in the trailer that is).So the "cutscenes" graphics are 100% in game graphics just zoomed in the people's faces.

fulcizombie said:
?????These 2 shots are from different levels,the "cutscene" one is from a daylight level that's why it looks better.It's not even a cutscene in the traditional manner,the camera zooms in the soldier(to say some mumbo jumbo) and then it zooms out in reall time and the game starts.(well in the trailer that is).So the "cutscenes" graphics are 100% in game graphics just zoomed in the people's faces.
Well I can't argue what I don't know. But as for being "2 different levels", doesn't really affect the outcome. The engine is the engine. There are some horrible textures in the "gameplay" one, the guys suit looks muddied instead of metallic (which it is in the "non-gameplay" picture), and some of the suits parts appear to be textured on instead of modelled on as they are in the first picture.

Edit; I'm not saying they aren't in-game, I KNOW they're in-game. So are the cutscenes in RE4 GC, yet the models, textures, lighting etc. are significantly improved because the engine doesn't have to deal with any action/AI.

From what i've seen the model in that close up is different to the actual model you play with, i think it's obvious they're both realtime though.
Overall i think the game looks sweet, but for some reason the games just not pulling me in, i'll definately check it out when it's released though.

Indeed that second pic doesnt look at all as good as the first.Textures and models seem downgraded.I noticed this also in past gameplay screenshots in which some of the models and textures were so downgraded that the game looked like it was a current gen PC game.

I hope they arent using different models and textures during gameplay than the ones from the cut scenes.

Could it be just lod?
In gameplay more agressive lod for models and textures, in cutscenes theý use the best textures and models, would be nothing new... for example Final Fantasy X on PS2 used this.

rabidrabbit said:
Could it be just lod?
In gameplay more agressive lod for models and textures, in cutscenes theý use the best textures and models, would be nothing new... for example Final Fantasy X on PS2 used this.

To me it looks like the geometries a bit different too.

I hope i don't get my head bit off for this, but i'm using one of the worst screens of the trailer, but both images are from the same direct feed trailer, with the 'ugly' image featuring in a cutscene of the trailer in this thread also.

but..

http://img446.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gow16jb.jpg

http://img446.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gow26vd.jpg

Comparing the armor.

Stillmatic said:
To me it looks like the geometries a bit different too.

I hope i don't get my head bit off for this, but i'm using one of the worst screens of the trailer, but both images are from the same direct feed trailer, with the 'ugly' image featuring in a cutscene of the trailer in this thread also.

but..

http://img446.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gow16jb.jpg

http://img446.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gow26vd.jpg

Comparing the armor.

There are also a part in that same trailer that is clearly shot in 480p, does this mean GoW switches from 720p to 480p on the fly? You cannot compare scenes in that video because clearly they may have come from different sources and the two examples you give have vastly different amounts of motion which effect the video quality immensely.

Nicked said:
Well I can't argue what I don't know. But as for being "2 different levels", doesn't really affect the outcome. The engine is the engine. There are some horrible textures in the "gameplay" one, the guys suit looks muddied instead of metallic (which it is in the "non-gameplay" picture), and some of the suits parts appear to be textured on instead of modelled on as they are in the first picture.

Horrible textures? That's called motion blur, if you've ever downloaded this video and tried to capture frames from it, you would know this. It's hard to get a 'crisp' shot in that trailer as everyone is always moving around so quickly.

Some screens I took a long time ago, illustrates the consitancy betwen cut-scene and game:
GOW_Screens.jpg

Current gen PC game MY ASS

mckmas8808 said:
To me the thing I liked the most was the CNN camera view. Did any of you guys also like the CNN view?

Yeah, that was when he entered the mine shaft building. It's a nice touch. Movement has a more sense of "weight" with the more ruggard movement.

Ttowards the begining of the video I like the "arc line" that comes out for tossing a grenade.

scooby_dooby said:
Some screens I took a long time ago, illustrates the consitancy betwen cut-scene and game:
Are you just grabing those out of a video and guessing that the ones you labled actually are, or?

kyleb said:
Are you just grabing those out of a video and guessing that the ones you labled actually are, or?

How many cut-scenes do you know of that feature the main character running and gunning at enemies? I don't think I've ever seen one in my life.

I'm pretty sure everything I labelled is basically in-game(not a cut scene), although they may have used free camera controls to get some nice frontal angles.

I haven't watched the video but from the pics all the bad looking pics or 'gameplay' seem to come from the video that came from around E3, but the better looking of them or 'cutscenes' seem to be from the X05 vids I think that is plenty of time to have that small bump in quality

and to me the only thing that looks better is the textures, which just looks like the uped the filtering or normal map resolution, and maybe the lighting but I won't say anything about that since they are two different scences

Back