xbox 360 confirmed pricing

jvd

Banned
August 17, 2005 - Today at the Games Convention in Leipzig, Germany, Microsoft unveiled the price of their upcoming next-generation system.

The new 'box will come in two flavors, a core and a fully-loaded model, and will carry two separate price points.
The Xbox 360 core system -- priced at $299.99 in the United States, ?299.99 in Europe and £209.99 in the U.K. -- will come with the console, a wired controller, faceplate, standard audio-visual cable and an Xbox Live Silver membership. An Xbox Live Silver membership allows you to create a user id, download game content, access the Xbox 360 marketplace and gives Live users the ability to chat with friends. It does not, however, allow users to play games online. To do this, Silver members must upgrade to a Gold membership.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/642/642656p1.html

man ms messed up big time

The Xbox 360 fully-loaded system -- priced at $399.99 in the United States, ?399.99 in Europe and £279.99 in the U.K. -- will come complete with the console, a wireless controller, a 20GB detachable hard drive, a faceplate, headset, component HD audio-visual cables, an Ethernet cable, Xbox Live Silver membership and, for a limited time, an Xbox 360 media remote.

Sounds reasonable to me.

core system has no packed in hardrive. So your just wasting money picking up the hardrive bundle as few games will support it

Having said that, the price for UK customers IS very attractive. Maybe my dreams of owning both the PS3 and 360 can come true.

jvd said:
core system has no packed in hardrive. So your just wasting money picking up the hardrive bundle as few games will support it

I guess thats why the quote telling devs to keep in mind that the HDD will not always be there was said. I'm wondering what Besida is thinking about this, not to long ago MS WAS making it seem like a HDD would be in the base system (hence alot of the Xbox owners honestly believing that there would be a HDD in the base system).

I'll probably be getting the $399 version...time to start saving up.

I can see why you are smarting over this JVD, it's $100 more than expected, but the UK have got a great deal out if this. Not only is the base model going to attract the right sort or people (If £279.99 is too much, then they aren't the sort of gamer that will use all the other bits so much anyway). £279.99 is still cheaper than expected, and it comes packed with kit.

I think they have done the right thing, Europe is going to be where the next gen is won or lost imo and an aggressive 2 tier pricing strategy, trying to capture casual and 'hardcore' gamer at the same time could pay off.

I take your point that a version minus an HDD could fragment the userbase and make using it to the maximum in games difficult if not impossible. Hopefully developers will find a way to use it when it's there and not restrict the game too much when it's not.

hupfinsgack said:
Somehow, I think this wasn't a wise move. MS biggest selling points last gen were built-in harddrive and better hardware....

Yeah but now they've got huge 3rd party support. Anyway does anybody know how much the HDD will be sold for?

Launching with just a $399 console option would imo have been more suicidat for MS. That would have been really too expensive.
Now the customers have an option for a lower priced console.

Especially considering the HDD is not needed for games, releasing only the more expensive pacage would have been silly.

Now, if it was wise not to make the HD mandatory for (some) games, that's another thing.
But I don't see it hurting sony that much next gen, why should it MS, especially if the console indeed is at least as if not more powerful than PS3 (according to Microsoft's words) they should need no worry :)

Makes you wonder, aside from the nvidia licensing kerfuffle, how much did the loss on every xbox sold this gen scare MS.

Of course this doesn't mean its game over by any stretch. If the PS3 launches without the HD too all it'll mean is one aspect of the consoles being a level playing field. Just that MS have the good fortune to start 6 months ahead.

I can see why you are smarting over this JVD, it's $100 more than expected, but the UK have got a great deal out if this. Not only is the base model going to attract the right sort or people (If £279.99 is too much, then they aren't the sort of gamer that will use all the other bits so much anyway). £279.99 is still cheaper than expected, and it comes packed with kit.

I don't care about the price. I care that now the hardrive is worthless. Its jsut going to be one big memory card and used for a hand full of games if even

think they have done the right thing, Europe is going to be where the next gen is won or lost imo and an aggressive 2 tier pricing strategy, trying to capture casual and 'hardcore' gamer at the same time could pay off.

I take your point that a version minus an HDD could fragment the userbase and make using it to the maximum in games difficult if not impossible. Hopefully developers will find a way to use it when it's there and not restrict the game too much when it's not.

Thats great for europe. However we still loose out on the hardrive because now dev support jsut wont be there like it would be if it was packed in .

Now i'm thinking of buying a r520 this holiday and getting a ns5 when it comes out .

hmmm... I wouldn't bet on the "huge" 3rd party support, it's not that much more huge than it has been for xbox.
Not bad at all, but not something that itself would be enough to make xbox360 the top console or even necessarily help it survive.
Suppor at launc tells little about support later on.

slider said:
Makes you wonder, aside from the nvidia licensing kerfuffle, how much did the loss on every xbox sold this gen scare MS.

Of course this doesn't mean its game over by any stretch. If the PS3 launches without the HD too all it'll mean is one aspect of the consoles being a level playing field. Just that MS have the good fortune to start 6 months ahead.

except u have a 400$ dvd equiped hdd equiped xbox that most likely has no games for the hardrive and a 400$ bluray ps3 .

Ms is in a tough spot . What are they going to do drop the price of the hardrive version and screw the early adopters ?

They made a big mistake .

Heh.

As I wrote HDD is not cheap even though it's 20GB.

Look, the Seagate 2.5inch 5400rpm HDD for Xbox 360 has 2 models, 20GB and 40GB. Xbox 360 full system is 100$ pricier than the core system. Yet the full system has a 20GB drive, not 40GB.

To be honest I'm very surprised by this. The advantages & postive feedback MS must have surely picked up this gen, by the inclusion of the HDD, should've had some input into their current thinking surely.

In an ideal world the debacle over the PS2 HDD should make up everyone's mind for them.

However, Oblivion and the convenience of a HDD aside I don't think it's THAT bad. Gears of War will still play! The biggest drawback is for the dev's. Closed boxes should be exactly that: closed boxes.

rabidrabbit said:
hmmm... I wouldn't bet on the "huge" 3rd party support, it's not that much more huge than it has been for xbox.
Not bad at all, but not something that itself would be enough to make xbox360 the top console or even necessarily help it survive.
Suppor at launc tells little about support later on.

Yeah but do you honestly think support will drop?

one said:
Heh.

Look, the Seagate 2.5inch 5400rpm HDD for Xbox 360 has 2 models, 20GB and 40GB. Xbox 360 full system is 100$ pricier than the core system. Yet the full system has a 20GB drive, not 40GB.

Yeah but that extra $100 gets you other stuff too not just a HDD.

one said:
Heh.

Very true...and this is probably why (sorry to inject Sony into this) Sony was so reluctant in putting a HDD in the system as a package. If it means $100 extra dollars added to the package (and on the PS3, as its already been stated, its not to be used for games in the sense that devlopers intended)..it would be better separetly packaged.

I don't think its a bad move from MS, as one has stated about the price of 2.5" HDDs... its would seem this is ONLY move MS had to make.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if Bethseda new this was going to happen and new a percentage of the user base, probably large percentage, aren't going to be able to play Oblivion? I guess for Bethseda it's not too bad as Oblivion's mainly a PC game. It was never going to sell amazingly well on next-gen consoles as there isn't the userbase.

But really I think this move sucks bigtime as there's even less to differentiate the two consoles. XB360 had the prospect of larger games with streamed/cached data. Now it's going to be operating the same as PS3 - neither console looks set to provide epic games that need large fast writeable storage. Unless they use flash storage (128 megabytes free memory card space required to play this game). Or Sony include an HDD as standard and go with the higher price, meaning slower initial uptake but a stronger future with a more capable system as prices become mainstream. I really think if Sony bite the bullet and take the inital hits they can clear up if the XB360 HDD fails to dominate.

Back