Sony @ E3

AFAIK there are studios working hard on current PS3 dev kits (so no final GPU..) to show something.
Dunno if just demos or playable games..

I heard:

sony
hardware talk
no playable games
rolling demos
vip only presentations...
lost of ps2, PSP games
jack daxter first person shooter and
lots of moore ps2 and psp games anouncments

edit: rumour: NO bleuray in ps3 ***

MS:

xbox360

eeh giving highdev screens again 8)
DOA4 shown , and playable behind closed doors

nintendo:

lots of talk... dunno for the rest ;)

thats it for now

Last word from Sony on the PS3's unveiling was an explanation for why they didn't show it by the end of March - apparently such a deadline would place too much pressure on software developers to have something ready to show. So presumably stuff is being worked on by various parties for E3 now, and presumably we can expect more generally at E3 than we would have gotten in a March unveiling. I would expect it to be non-playable, or at least non-playable for the masses. I'd expect specs (or at least initial "subject to change if MS piles in more RAM" type specs ;)). One could hope they'll demonstrate next-generation eyetoy and its useability in general games. One could hope for details on their online plans. One could hope for MGS4 :) (but hey, they could turn up on any platform - i don't really mind as long as it's there :)).

Ask DeanoC if he's unusually busy of late - that may indicate something about a certain, supposedly exclusive PS3 title and how, if at all, it might relate to E3 ;)

Expect plenty of PSP and PS2 on the showfloor. Expect slides in the pre-show conference emphasising PS2's continued dominance (and as a timely reminder of the profitability for third parties on Sony systems ;)).

DaveBaumann said:
Sony are doing an event before the show?

Yes, on the first monday, 3PM at a soundstage in the Sony Pictures Complex in Culver City, IIRC. If it's PS3's debut, it should be one of Sony's biggest ever, if not the biggest.

yea i don't see a cell chip , next gen nvidia gpu , 512 megs of ram and a bluray going into that box for less than 700$ when it launches So i was figuring the bluray would be much like the 1tflop .

Here is hoping that both systems have a hd-dvd drive which should be cheaper when they both launch

but wouldn't it be funny if its nintendo who is the only one to ship with a next gen optical drive ?

I'm pretty sure it'll ship with whatever next-gen format Sony is supporting at the time :LOL: Although it'd be more expensive, I think they'd view it as strategically important to helping establish their favoured medium. There's a chance things will change with blu-ray, and thus PS3, if a compromise is reached with the hd-dvd camp, but hope of that happening seems to swing back and forth with every passing day now.

Besides, Sony has already formally announced PS3 will use Bluray, so switching to anything other than another next-gen drive would be a very difficult decision to make, I'd think. It'd be very very surprising.

jvd said:
Here is hoping that both systems have a hd-dvd drive which should be cheaper when they both launch
LOL
Blue-laser drives cost almost the same money be it blu-ray or HD-DVD (Sony develops blue laser diode with Nichia so it's cheaper than the market price anyway). What's different is the cost for disc manufacturing.

Titanio said:
I'm pretty sure it'll ship with whatever next-gen format Sony is supporting at the time :LOL: Although it'd be more expensive, I think they'd view it as strategically important to helping establish their favoured medium. There's a chance things will change with blu-ray, and thus PS3, if a compromise is reached with the hd-dvd camp, but hope of that happening seems to swing back and forth with every passing day now.

Besides, Sony has already formally announced PS3 will use Bluray, so switching to anything other than another next-gen drive would be a very difficult decision to make, I'd think. It'd be very very surprising.

I agree - remember also that there's a sort of spiraling situation (in a good way) as far as including blu-ray in PS3 and the costs of the blu-ray itself. Inclusion of blu-ray will decrease the costs of blu-ray later on, thus lowering the costs of including it in PS3, etc etc...

LOL
Blue-laser drives cost almost the same money be it blu-ray or HD-DVD (Sony develops blue laser diode with Nichia so it's cheaper than the market price anyway). What's different is the cost for disc manufacturing.
Hd-dvd drives will already be manufactured in very large quanitys by october of this year and def by quater 1 2006 if they hit thier targes . Bluray wont be So what would be less something already being produced in the 10s of thousands of units or something that hasn't been produced on a large scale yet ?

jvd said:
LOL
Hd-dvd drives will already be manufactured in very large quanitys by october of this year and def by quater 1 2006 if they hit thier targes . Bluray wont be So what would be less something already being produced in the 10s of thousands of units or something that hasn't been produced on a large scale yet ?
PS3 is supposed to have a BD-ROM drive in it. It's a read-only drive, so it has a laser diode which has a lower power output (so cheaper) than a diode for a recorder. Blu-ray recorders are on sale in Japan from 2003 for the mass market while no HD DVD products are currently on the market.

jack daxter first person shooter
Nope, you got that one wrong. Insomniac (developers of Ratchet & Clank) are working on a very high budget, high profile FPS game, however, it's almost certainly not based on Ratchet and Clank characters or universe.

Really? :\ Where did you hear that?

If the PS3 is anywhere near the PS2 in success, it will ship in greater volumes than HD-DVD. At least early on. In which case, economies of scale will work for Sony rather quickly. Besides, as mentioned, you have a cheaper laser, and the logic is already gonna be in the CPU/GPU/IOP anyway, so drive costs shouldn't be an issue. This was the same argument with the PS2 and its DVD drive, and that turned out to be a non-issue. PEACE.

Hehe......I remember those "PS2 is gonna cost $700" stories simply because it had a DVD drive; can play DVD right out of the box.

Now with these "PS3 is gonna cost $500+ US" I kind of get the feeling of
deja vu.

DigitalSoul said:
Hehe......I remember those "PS2 is gonna cost $700" stories simply because it had a DVD drive; can play DVD right out of the box.

deja vu.

Yeah, but that was also when it was able to render Pixar and ILM Quality CG in realtime. When Sony overhyped some of the capabilities of the EE-GS alot of people expected that type of price tag. Now Im getting DejaVu too. ;)

It would be in Sony's best interest to draw upon their strengths as an appliance manufacturer and offer hardware features at costs others can't. Just like its in MS best interest to draw upon their strengths and offer a more polished SDK and software support that an appliance maker can't.

DigitalSoul said:

deja vu.

I expect the PS3 to launch in the US in fall 2006 at $300. (UK/Japan are a different story).

BUT, the $500-$700 was not made up by fans of the gaming industry. When CELL was announced a couple months back industry analysis conjectured that a PS3 with a nVidia GPU, XDR, BR, and CELL processor(s) could cost as much as $500-$700.

Whether it costs $500+ or not it wont hit the streets at that price. What should be more worrisome is that if it is costing $500+ Sony may not be able to match MS if they throw a ton of RAM into their system. Another option is making the BR drive a separate SKU: PS3 and PS3 HD. MS has limits to how much they can lose (and they have no debt and $40B+ in the bank), so we cannot expect Sony to lose a ton of money.

That said I expect that by fall 2007 PS3, with a BR/CELL/XDR, will have dropped a lot in manufacturing price so I dont think we will be seeing a cut up PS3 or a $500 price tag.

Sony will make it work. Everyone in the past has (less MS... which is related more to bad licensing)

nAo said:
AFAIK there are studios working hard on current PS3 dev kits (so no final GPU..) to show something.
Dunno if just demos or playable games..
B...but how can they show anything if its non-final HW with no GPU!?

I say pre-renders done on PC. :devilish:

After they are posted, this forum will spend about one week or more arguing over whether the dev kit is involved at all in their creation, whether it qualifies as 'indication of final performance', blah blah blah.

No but it cost close to 500$ and was sold at a launch and did not render ff tsw in real time like was claimed or the toy story claims or the OMG i'm george lucas and we are going to use ps2s to render the next star wars movie crap that was going around at launch

Back