Screen grab of the nextgen Madden football.

pahcman said:
the jump from xbox to xenon is much bigger than 32bit to 128bit!

i can say those shiney textures is insane realisticty....... for now! great textures make more real life things. thats just what i want to see next gen!

I tend to disagree, if these shots are anything to go by, but well we have different eyes and brains so...

London boy, why did you get edited and warned for trolling on your other post?

Just being nosey, I know you like to joke around sometimes, but Ive never seen you troll, just joke around ?

kyetech said:

Just being nosey, I know you like to joke around sometimes, but Ive never seen you troll, just joke around ?

Heh, that's what i was trying to find out too. My post wasn't even a joke, not to mention trolling, i only wrote that when the guy finds old PVR threads, he should not bump them, cause bumping year-old threads is a pain, and there's not much to add to old PVR discussions anyway.

So yeah, the "stop your incessant trolling" did surprise me a lot, first cause i wasn't trolling, second because i certainly don't incessantly troll these boards, as everyone will be able to testilfy. In court. This is serious! :LOL:

Oh well...

london-boy said:
kyetech said:

Heh, that's what i was trying to find out too. My post wasn't even a joke, not to mention trolling, i only wrote that when the guy finds old PVR threads, he should not bump them, cause bumping year-old threads is a pain, and there's not much to add to old PVR discussions anyway.

So yeah, the "stop your incessant trolling" did surprise me a lot, first cause i wasn't trolling, second because i certainly don't incessantly troll these boards, as everyone will be able to testilfy. In court. This is serious! :LOL:

Oh well...

Must be time of the month m8...... wouldnt worry bout it !! :LOL: ;)

Anyway, to stay on topic, the incessant troll will now make an intelligent post.

I can already see poeple bitching about one or two screens.

I imagine most of the difference we'll notice in the next generation will be in the animation. Those shots don't look a million times better than this generation, but i firmly believe (err.. hope) that when we see Madden200whatever in motion, we'll know it's next generation, cause it will move in a much more realistic way than in the current generation. And our brains are much more susceptible to movement than to plain IQ, after a certain lever of course.

That is, obviously, unless EA play lazyass and decide to recycle animation routines from current gen games.

I expect (hope) to be wowed by how things move in the next generation, not necessarily and not only by how things look. Cause to be honest, apart from nice AA, DOF and Motion Blur, those 2 Madden shots aren't exactly earth shattering as it stands.

london-boy said:
I can already see poeple bitching about one or two screens.

I imagine most of the difference we'll notice in the next generation will be in the animation. Those shots don't look a million times better than this generation, but i firmly believe (err.. hope) that when we see Madden200whatever in motion, we'll know it's next generation, cause it will move in a much more realistic way than in the current generation. And our brains are much more susceptible to movement than to plain IQ, after a certain lever of course.

That is, obviously, unless EA play lazyass and decide to recycle animation routines from current gen games.

I expect (hope) to be wowed by how things move in the next generation, not necessarily and not only by how things look. Cause to be honest, apart from nice AA, DOF and Motion Blur, those 2 Madden shots aren't exactly earth shattering as it stands.

I agree with every point there LB. :oops: Anyone know a good shrink?

Acert93 said:
I agree with every point there LB. :oops: Anyone know a good shrink?

Yeah, agreeing with an incessant troll is not good, you should visit your doctor.

(I'll keep this up for a while, i'm still upset about being called and incessant troll :devilish: )

Maybe its just me but I think I will get a better idea of what to expect after seeing the commercial on Saturday.

Don't know if EA has people reading threads here or at places like GAF.

But if they do and they show footage that is not gameplay, they will be crucified. :D

Iron Tiger said:
nAo said:
Sorry if I'm going to repeat myself but..
In the shot we have seen so far AA is PERFECT (imho), it can't be a realtime shot!
Unless next generation consoles are far better in AA than current hw..
It may not just be AA, but whatever post processing they applied to get the blooming from the specular highlights. A little blur filter to squash what remaining jaggies were left after heavy AA. If you've got a DX9 ATi video card and the Catalyst Control Center, turn AA all the way up, and run a blur SmartShader and you'll see what I mean. Prince of Persia is also pretty low on jaggies because of the post processing haze.

Bingo, I guess everyone missed my thread about bluring and insists it's some kind of Super Hyper AAing. :LOL: :rolleyes:

Ooh-videogames said:
http://images.ea.com/sports/games/06/madden/nextgen/day3.jpg

This should add to the excitement, I'm starting to have my doubts about it being realtime.

Why it looks perfectly achieveable in realtime. Ever seen VF4's Monk or Jacky with specular highlights?

If blurring could magically reduce AA and don't cut details (high frequency data) at the same time we would be using blur instead AA algoritmhs.
Since I can observe high frequency details and very good AA I'm sorry to inform you that kind of image quality can't be reached with some blur, and never will.

madden2001_b6.jpg

Psone

nflf042pz.jpg

Xbox

madden.jpg

Xbox2

All i can say is, if this is not proof of diminishing returns, i don't know what is. I mean, the last shot is amazing, but the gap from 32bit to 128bit is many times bigger than the gap between the last 2. Or at least, that's what my brain is telling me.

nAo said:
If blurring could magically reduce AA and don't cut details (high frequency data) at the same time we would be using blur instead AA algoritmhs.
Since I can observe high frequency details and very good AA I'm sorry to inform you that kind of image quality can't be reached with some blur, and never will.
In other words, at worst it's a pre-render. At best it's a realtime render blessed with PhotoShop(or whatever tool) magic.

nAo said:

Uh no. Maybe you should look at the picture again. See how it's all blurred and soft not just the edges? Ever play that fighting game on PS2 from Square with all that blurring? These are closeups of a footbal game with blur. In game there will be no blur get it?

london-boy said:
All i can say is, if this is not proof of diminishing returns, i don't know what is. I mean, the last shot is amazing, but the gap from 32bit to 128bit is many times bigger than the gap between the last 2. Or at least, that's what my brain is telling me.

Well you have to remember that there was about 7 years between PS1 and Xbox and only 4 years between Xbox and Xbox 2. Obvioysly the leap won't be as big this time, but I think it's quite big anyway.

What you don't understand is that no kind of blur/glow etc will be able to reduce jaggies so effectively without making that image a total low frequency/soft looking mess.This it's not a opinion, it's math.
BLur is so cheap on current hw that I wonder why current games don't use is to have a so perfect AA as in those shots.

nAo said:
What you don't understand is that no kind of blur/glow etc will be able to reduce jaggies so effectively without making that image a total low frequency/soft looking mess.This it's not a opinion, it's math.
BLur is so cheap on current hw that I wonder why current games don't use is to have a so perfect AA as in those shots.

Slight blur + high resolution = that picture.

It's the same aspect ratio as a 1280x720 image so I think
it's highly likely that it was resized downwards.

Back