NV40/R420 Face-Off - Interesting debate over at FiringSquad

I really don't know the point of that article, it was obviously one-sided - given Jakub's idiocy. Other than making the point that Jakub is a dumbass, what information was provided there that could not be found in FiringSquad's X800 review? Anyway, Jakub's so-called responses were very annoying. I'd rather read Chalnoth's posts.

Edit: Just read Joe's post - guess that answers my question.

This was the most interesting IMO...and our own Dave Baumann has been hinting around at the PCI-E refresh / launch as well:

I wish I could tell you the background story on how the Platinum Edition board came to be, it had nothing to do with the 6800 Ultra or NVIDIA, but trust me, this isn’t a special edition, for a limited time only type of part. Don’t worry, the truth will be revealed once the PCI Express boards hit retail.

Regarding Brandons last comments - given that Orton has stated there will be a fourth ASIC and given the known line-up (RV370, RV380, R420) where do we think the fourth ASIC will sit in that line-up??

DaveBaumann said:
Regarding Brandons last comments - given that Orton has stated there will be a fourth ASIC and given the known line-up (RV370, RV380, R420) where do we think the fourth ASIC will sit in that line-up??

would it not be the r423 pci e card with a higher clock than the r420 xt

Re: NV40/R420 Face-Off - Interesting debate over at FiringSq

Helevitia said:
Forgive me if this was posted. I searched before posting.

http://www.firingsquad.com/features/nv40-r420faceoff/

To me, the most interesting line was:

Valve is doing the same with Half-Life 2; they plan on implementing ATI’s 3Dc to by the way.

Dave

I really needed some comical relief - thanks for given it to me.. This article is so full of it - it is really pitfully.. I don't believe I ever been to that site before - I surely going skip it in the future.. its good laugh! :LOL:

I speculated in another thread on a theoretical "RV420".

Basically an R420 "cut in half" if you will. (A true 8 pipeline R420, rather than an R420 with 2 pipelines disabled.) Considering the market segment, I'm guessing it won't be 0.13 low-k, but 0.11u instead to minimise cost at some expense in performance.

jvd said:
DaveBaumann said:

IMO, that really the "same" ASIC as the R420...in terms of the market space it goes after.

Joe DeFuria said:
jvd said:
DaveBaumann said:

IMO, that really the "same" ASIC as the R420...in terms of the market space it goes after.
I guess your right. You do know more about this than i .

Personaly i think aside from the pci e part the xt will be the highest part from ati till the refresh replaces it like the 9700pro - 9800pro

DaveBaumann said:

Dave Orton said:
We think that there still is a market for a $10 part. Integrated isn’t taking over the world, so there’s a huge opportunity for discrete parts out there for about a $10-$12 selling price. So, with that at the bottom end and you’re high end part you ask if one will fill the gap, and the answer is probably not, you might need two.

I'm not sure about the exact price category of the RV370... if 0.11 really is that cheap, it might be the $10 part mentioned above - then the forth, missing ASIC should be between RV380 and R420 and it would take the place of the X800SE. If the RV370 is more expensive, than we're looking at an RV280 replacement.

DaveBaumann said:
A mobile part? :)

Back