NV40/R420 Face-Off - Interesting debate over at FiringSquad

DaveBaumann said:
Regarding Brandons last comments - given that Orton has stated there will be a fourth ASIC and given the known line-up (RV370, RV380, R420) where do we think the fourth ASIC will sit in that line-up??
RV410? Though I assume that isn't due until R480 is alot closer, but still, RV370->RV380->RV410->R42(0/3)/480. The big question is what is RV410?

Fodder said:
DaveBaumann said:
Regarding Brandons last comments - given that Orton has stated there will be a fourth ASIC and given the known line-up (RV370, RV380, R420) where do we think the fourth ASIC will sit in that line-up??
RV410? Though I assume that isn't due until R480 is alot closer, but still, RV370->RV380->RV410->R42(0/3)/480. The big question is what is RV410?

Well I guess it would be a native 8 or 12 pipe part.

AlphaWolf said:

Aargh, i've been trying to come up with reaons for what the best solution would be and i can think of many for both. Depending on the estimated clock speed on both parts and the yeilds on the current 16 pipe card.

But ok, i'm guessing that it'll be a 12 pipe native card. And keep the R9800 and rename it to X700 ? (not a suggestion though :))

Bjorn said:
AlphaWolf said:

Aargh, i've been trying to come up with reaons for what the best solution would be and i can think of many for both. Depending on the estimated clock speed on both parts and the yeilds on the current 16 pipe card.

But ok, i'm guessing that it'll be a 12 pipe native card. And keep the R9800 and rename it to X700 ? (not a suggestion though :))

After thinking about it for a while, I am now pretty certain it will be an 8 pipe part.

I think they would want something to move into the sub $200 price range right away. At ~500 mhz it would be performing close to the 12 pipe 6800non ultra part. It could also transition nicely to a mobility part.

Bjorn said:

Remember what was discussed elsewhere: die size of R360 is similar to R420.

8-pipe, 110m tranny, .15u, 412MHz XSomething
ie re-release the R360 as a new card using the X-naming convention and put it on the R420 PCB using GDDR3 mem

eh?

DaveBaumann said:
Bjorn said:

What if they redid the R360 core with .11 technology. and added DDR2 or DDR3 and released it as the midrange derivative. Would it cost much? and how much die space would they save?

The article was sort of like reading a forum thread, wasn't it? :) Basically the only thing I agreed with Jakub on was the 6800GT's attractiveness at the same retail price point as the X800P. That doesn't mean the two cards will have the same street prices, though, or even the same software bundle (the Sapphire X800P at Allstarshop includes a HL2 voucher, so I'm guessing all of the X800Ps/XTPEs will).

Pete said:
The article was sort of like reading a forum thread, wasn't it? :) Basically the only thing I agreed with Jakub on was the 6800GT's attractiveness at the same retail price point as the X800P. That doesn't mean the two cards will have the same street prices, though, or even the same software bundle (the Sapphire X800P at Allstarshop includes a HL2 voucher, so I'm guessing all of the X800Ps/XTPEs will).

According to ATi during the Toronto launch event they will not have any special bundle deal for the X800's.

ninelven said:
Ante P, aparently Jakub is the Editor-in-Chief of Games over at FiringSquad. Here is a link.

hehe pretty funny
he's the editor in chief of the games section of a hardware/gaming site and he has this rig:

Pentium 4 (Willamette) 2.0GHz
Abit Siluro GF4 4200 OTES

:oops:

Ante P said:
According to ATi during the Toronto launch event they will not have any special bundle deal for the X800's.
Strange.

BTW, Jakub posted here for a little while. I can't remember if he came here b/c of criticism of an earlier piece of his, or just because of word of mouth.

Was about an article he made about NV30/R300 round and his article went almost straight from NVidia PR sources so yes some criticism occured if i remember well :LOL:

I got into it with Jakub on another board about a year ago when I wrote that Doom 3's graphics used mostly DX7 generation tech. and he spouted off something like "dumbest thread evar". It went downhill from there.

DaveBaumann said:
Bjorn said:

Well, if we look at ATI's prior experience with R300, they shrunk the process and cut the number of pipelines in half to get RV350. The problem was that they also sacrificed a lot of performance by going to a 128-bit bus to get as small a die as they could. So in essence I agree with Joe about an 8-pipe R420 derivative on 0.11u, only they'll have to slap a 256-bit bus on it to get performance to around 9800 Pro levels and justify the $200-$250 price tag (considering that's what the 9800 Pro is going for today). But other than the process shrink, I just don't have a clue if or where they'd cut transistors to get the die size down further (wasn't it HyperZ that was dropped from RV350?).

Pete said:
Ante P said:
Strange.
I think for most OEM's and stores, there exist deals they still CAN take advantage of, they just don't HAVE to. The original deal with the voucher pretty much forced all manufacturers to honor it for a limited period of time, but since it costs cash for them to honor it later...? It was dropped from a lot of products.

Since BestBuy for a while was offering it with just about EVERY Radeon they sold (not just the XT models), one can obviously see individual lee-way. I expect we'll get that again, too.

kemosabe said:
DaveBaumann said:
Bjorn said:

Well, if we look at ATI's prior experience with R300, they shrunk the process and cut the number of pipelines in half to get RV350. ...

Couldn't Dave's talk about the similar die size implicate that the missing ASIC actually might be a higher performance part. Say, 20 pipes ?

Sounds good to me if true :)

Back