PS5 Pro *spawn

I mean, haven't heard anyone, be it users or tech outlets, lamenting poor image quality when the game came out.

And after forspoken, Jedi Survivor pre patch and ff7 rebirth, I know pretty well what bad image quality looks like.

TLOU 2 has this really uniform image quality, there aren't any scenes where you think you'd like more sharpness or where it becomes a shimmering mess. It's really optimized for the content it displays.

There's a difference between having a blurry image and having blurry in surface detail.

You can see how bad it is in the DF video, look how much the games TAA is destroying the surface detail on the bag.

I mean, haven't heard anyone, be it users or tech outlets, lamenting poor image quality when the game came out.

And after forspoken, Jedi Survivor pre patch and ff7 rebirth, I know pretty well what bad image quality looks like.

TLOU 2 has this really uniform image quality, there aren't any scenes where you think you'd like more sharpness or where it becomes a shimmering mess. It's really optimized for the content it displays.
I wouldn't call it poor image quality, but they're certainly blurry. There's a reason why they're doing this upgrade and making the IQ super sharp now.

Oh yeah that was nice for the time when there were lots of alpha surfaces. Not so much these days where more stuff is rendered using real geometry (fences, trees etc). Nothing beats temporal oversampling for IQ.

That's where the MSAA would come in.

I also think there's still more transparency in games than you think.

By that logic the existing performance mode was 4k too. It upscales 1440p to 4k using TAA.
Yes it was 4k as well at 30 fps!!.

That's the point of PSSR. rntonga is saying PS5 Pro delivers on better PS5 gaming - '4K quality modes at higher framerates' - because PSSR enables it. He did not say PS5 Pro is rendering native 4K60 and there's no need for it to.
Exactly somehow it became an argument about native vs upscaled, which was besides the point that the game runs at 4k 60 fps

You got your wording wrong.

It's not the same resolution.

Pro is still running at 1440p and using PSSR.
Nope I got my wording right, its running natively at 1440p and its running upscaled at 4k. What the consumer sees is a 4k image. Whether a person likes"native" or upscaled is imho another argument altogether. But the game runs at 4k 60 fps.

To be fair, your exact words do suggest PS5 Pro is rendering at the same internal res. However, the Amateur is rendering a higher base resolution, 2160p, than the Pro's 1440p. I got what you meant, but I can see how others didn't. ;)

If someone didn't get your point, you didn't get it right.

But it's curious that Pro is using lower settings that the quality mode on base PS5.

However minor, it's as if developers have to choose between PSSR and better settings.
But thats honestly besides the point that the PS5 pro runs the game at 4k 60 fps and 4k that looks arguably better than the base console which runs the title at 4k 30 fps.

If someone didn't get your point, you didn't get it right.

But it's curious that Pro is using lower settings that the quality mode on base PS5.

However minor, it's as if developers have to choose between PSSR and better settings.

Lower settings or lower resolution? I think on TLOU2 it’s just lower resolution, but the end result is quality on par of the base model native 4K mode but at 60fps instead of 30fps.

Settings.

Do you know which settings have been lowered? I watched the video and might have missed that bit.

If you have the timestamp would be great.

Edit: Oliver mentions this at minute 6:41 on their video. Although he says it doesn’t seem to affect it much, he did notice instances of pop in but seem pretty minor.

Last edited:
When it comes to TAA there's five areas for me..

1. Coverage - How well does it handle jaggies/shimmering
  2. In surface detail - How much has the TAA has trashed the surface detail in pursuit of good coverage
  3. Sharpness - How sharp does the game look and is it over-sharpened
  4. Clarity while stationary - How blurry is the game when the camera isn't moving (This is the best case for TAA and is when it looks the best)
  5. Clarity while in motion - This is where most TAA implementations fall apart and why I don't like comparisons with TAA that only use a still camera

Every TAA implementation will vary with all five areas, some will offer great clarity while in motion, but have poor coverage.

Others (like ND's) will offer good coverage and decent clarity, but destroy surface detail.

Back