Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2024]

DF Direct Weekly #182: Ghost of Yōtei, Horizon Zero Dawn Remaster, New PS5 Pro Titles Revealed​

0:00:00 Introduction
0:01:16 News 1: Sony reveals new games in State of Play
0:14:04 News 2: Horizon Zero Dawn Remastered analyzed
0:33:17 News 3: New PS5 Pro Enhanced titles announced
0:44:48 News 4: Assassin’s Creed Shadows delayed
0:55:07 News 5: Dragon’s Dogma 2: how is patch 9 on PS5?
1:00:44 News 6: Monster Hunter PC specs spark concern
1:14:01 News 7: RTX 5080, 5090 specs reportedly leaked
1:35:52 Supporter Q1: Should console generations be extended further?
1:42:44 Supporter Q2: Will the upcoming Microsoft handheld rely on FSR 4?
1:45:57 Supporter Q3: Would the Series S/X divide be fine if the S came with more memory?
1:53:47 Supporter Q4: Is there a difference between analyzing provided footage and footage you captured yourself?

DF Direct Weekly #182: Ghost of Yōtei, Horizon Zero Dawn Remaster, New PS5 Pro Titles Revealed​

0:00:00 Introduction
0:01:16 News 1: Sony reveals new games in State of Play
0:14:04 News 2: Horizon Zero Dawn Remastered analyzed
0:33:17 News 3: New PS5 Pro Enhanced titles announced
0:44:48 News 4: Assassin’s Creed Shadows delayed
0:55:07 News 5: Dragon’s Dogma 2: how is patch 9 on PS5?
1:00:44 News 6: Monster Hunter PC specs spark concern
1:14:01 News 7: RTX 5080, 5090 specs reportedly leaked
1:35:52 Supporter Q1: Should console generations be extended further?
1:42:44 Supporter Q2: Will the upcoming Microsoft handheld rely on FSR 4?
1:45:57 Supporter Q3: Would the Series S/X divide be fine if the S came with more memory?
1:53:47 Supporter Q4: Is there a difference between analyzing provided footage and footage you captured yourself?
Good to see Nixxies are use now for little more ambitious projects than doing pc ports. Give them chance to remake some older ps3 game (or Bloodborne ;d) and after that make their own title.

Last edited:
Good to see Nixxies are use now for little more ambitious projects than doing pc ports. Give them chance to remake some older ps3 game (or Bloodborne ;d) and after that make their own title.
Oh yeah... Them making this remaster opens up the possibility of them making a remake of Bloodborne...

Just an update to the previous God of War: Ragnarok updates which broke some things. They had already fixed the analog stick issue with a hotfix, and today they released a full patch fixing various issues, among them being the textures unloading while in the menus AND when fast travelling through realms! @Dictator @Flappy Pannus

Screenshot-2024-10-01-160520.png

Man I kinda love Jetpack Interactive. They're really proving themselves to be a high quality porting studio for Sony. Yes, the game had issues at launch, but the speed and frequency of which they are updating and fixing issues is extremely commendable. I love to see it!

I checked, and it appears to not be true. Tessellation still has strangely bad performance in the Realm between Realms as of this patch.
The one thing that is true though is that the new patch fixes portal transitions to no longer show the texture and model LOD popping.
My presumption from the video is then confirmed: the portals showing bad LOD popping had nothing to do with magical SSD speed, rather all to do with some oversight in the porting process.

My presumption from the video is then confirmed: the portals showing bad LOD popping had nothing to do with magical SSD speed, rather all to do with some oversight in the porting process.

You interviewed the developers and they explained the compromises they needed to make for the PC port so that VRAM and split memory would be less of a bottleneck. They go as far to automatically reduce texture quality regardless of texture setting selected by the player. PS5 doesn't have this compromise because of better i/o performance. As a professional I think you should aim for higher standard of discussion.

It's wonderful the pop in was fixed for PC.

Last edited by a moderator:
You interviewed the developers and they explained the compromises they needed to make for the PC port so that VRAM and split memory would be less of a bottleneck. They go as far to automatically reduce texture quality regardless of texture setting selected by the player. PS5 doesn't have this compromise because of better i/o performance. As a professional I think you should aim for higher standard of discussion.

Like, have you seen the PS4 version? The version on a 10 year old console with a 5400rpm hard drive?

Of all games that could use the io performance of the PS5, I can assure you that God of war Ragnarok is not one of them.

None of that is true. There is no such problem on the PS4 and its slow-ass HDD. That a 7800X3D and a 4090 do get this problem should have told you it has nothing to do with I/O or SSDs.

I'm so glad DF covered this game! It's so pretty, fun and unique. The depth of field specifically has some kind of new wizardry that avoids a lot of the artifacts that plague other games and engines. I've worked with the folks that made it in the past and they are both brilliant and humble; I'd love to see this do well for them.

Last edited:
I'm so glad DF covered this game! It's so pretty, fun and unique. The depth of field specifically has some kind of new wizardry that avoids a lot of the artifacts that plague other games and engines. I 've worked with the folks that made it in the past and they are both brilliant and humble; I'd love to see this do well for them.
I follow them on Twitter, and have basically watched this project evolve over time. It's absolutely gorgeous, and yes, they seem like very lovely people. Glad to see them succeed.

I don't know what legal recourse Nintendo would have to prevent forks of open source software that doesn't contain any proprietary code. Perhaps they can make the same shaky argument that its 'main purpose' is to violate DRM and go after each, but that's dubious both in legality and effort necessary - especially if there is no evidence of a profit motive behind a particular fork, and if any developers working on these forks are outside of the US, which are usually less receptive to DCMA complaints as a whole. Ryujinx devs being based in Brazil is a decent safeguard for example.

Welp, my dinner tonight:

1727888596671.png

😟

....what?!

The PS5 doesn't have to 'reduce its texture quality' because it's a fixed platform and they know exactly how much VRAM is available at all times. PC developers do not, they specifically even mention in their interview that the amount of available vram on Windows will vary even with a known GPU simply because of the variability with usage from other programs. PC developers have a massive range of VRAM configurations to support, and designing an engine that scales gracefully among them is always going to require more work than a fixed platform.

So there's that, but also in DF's video, Alex mentions how the PS4 doesn't have this problem. If that wasn't the nail in the coffin for the argument that I/O is the bottleneck, we have this problem fixed a week after launch.

So you take exception to his jab at a 'magical SSD', then even in the face of overwhelming evidence that it's not the problem...you proceed to attribute it to I/O. Unbelievable. You're literally the type of person he's targeting with that comment.

Last edited:
I checked, and it appears to not be true. Tessellation still has strangely bad performance in the Realm between Realms as of this patch.
The one thing that is true though is that the new patch fixes portal transitions to no longer show the texture and model LOD popping.
Why would you think that? It's a game designed to run on PS4 HDD with max 50MB/s streaming In and incredibly high latencies. And playing the game on PS5, it really feels like playing a game from PS4 era here.

Why would you think that? It's a game designed to run on PS4 HDD with max 50MB/s streaming In and incredibly high latencies. And playing the game on PS5, it really feels like playing a game from PS4 era here.

Because it's an incredibly common response online whenever you see issues like this (see above), hence why he said in his review "I imagine some of you will think this the 'power of the SSD', but that doesn't appear to the case" - then proceeds to immediately show the PS4 version without this problem. So he's aware.

(As you can see below, the texture quality isn't even that lower on the Pro!)

1727895826703.png

Last edited:
Back