PS5 Pro *spawn

About bandwidth worth reminding that Sony said the bandwidth available would be comparably more efficient on PS5 Pro, somehow.

On top of better GPU cache architecture (doubled L0 and L1) that could help explain that claim I think memory clock (2.25ghz) been very close to GPU clocks (? 2.18-2.35ghz ?) could also help. On PS5 the difference of clocks (1.75ghz vs 2.23ghz) was not helping bandwidth efficiency according to Cerny.
I think it's good, but I haven't seen any miracles here compared to what dedicated hardware can do.

I think as we've learned more about PSSR, the real comparison point is XeSS DP4A vs PSSR. that is probably the closest we can get to comparing 2 to upscaling networks, running on something like a 6700.

I think it's good, but I haven't seen any miracles here compared to what dedicated hardware can do.

I think as we've learned more about PSSR, the real comparison point is XeSS DP4A vs PSSR. that is probably the closest we can get to comparing 2 to upscaling networks, running on something like a 6700.
What are you talking about? The real comparisons will be with comparing the likes of Ratchet, Spider-man, TLOU1 on PS5 Pro vs 4070 with DLSS.

What are you talking about? The real comparisons will be with comparing the likes of Ratchet, Spider-man, TLOU1 on PS5 Pro vs 4070 with DLSS.
You're not measuring the same thing when you do that though, unless you believe there is dedicated silicon outside of the CUs. I suspect if that were the case, the base resolution would be higher here for the game before upscaling because dedicated silicon should be able to run in parallel.

You're not measuring the same thing when you do that though, unless you believe there is dedicated silicon outside of the CUs. I suspect if that were the case, the base resolution would be higher here for the game before upscaling because dedicated silicon should be able to run in parallel.
since when dlss is free ;)

since when dlss is free ;)
its more free =P

From my POV, it would be setting up PSSR for failure if it is indeed run on compute units. You want to compare it against other algorithms that have similar hardware bottlenecks.

The DF FF 7 Rebirth video. The Pro is running all settings and resolution identically with PSSR being the only differentiator.
Not sure if I'm mistaking your post here...

Pro is running PS5 Fidelity mode at 60fps.
They doubled the frame rate using PSSR maintaining the same (sometimes better) IQ than what you have on PS5.

If you compared both the 60fps mode (Performance in PS5) you will see one a blurry hell and the other pretty good (PS5 Pro)... the difference is huge in that case... and DF states that.

I will never call that being a waste of power lol

Not sure if I'm mistaking your post here...

Pro is running PS5 Fidelity mode at 60fps.
They doubled the frame rate using PSSR maintaining the same (sometimes better) IQ than what you have on PS5.

If you compared both the 60fps mode (Performance in PS5) you will see one a blurry hell and the other pretty good (PS5 Pro)... the difference is huge... and DF states that.

I will never call that being a waste of power lol
The Pro is not running fidelity mode at 60 fps. It's running the performance mode with PSSR applied. Same resolution, same settings and some rare fps drops ironed out.

The Pro is not running fidelity mode at 60 fps. It's running the performance mode with PSSR applied. Same resolution, same settings and some rare fps drops ironed out.
Look at the video... the image of the Pro is very similar (sometimes even better) than Fidelity Mode on PS5... some places has artifacts due the PSSR but that is to be expected from these AI upscaling.
The main difference is you are playing in 60fps on PS5 Pro what you played in 30fps on PS5... that is even stated by DF in the video.
And the promise Sony made with Pro... playing Fidelity/Quality mode at 60fps.

PS5 Performance mode is atrocious bad... near unplayable due how blurry it is imo.
PS5 Pro basically fix this game giving you a playable 60fps mode very similar to the 30fps mode (I still think from the video the Pro IQ is a bitter better than PS5 Fidelity most of time).

That is why I didn't understand your comment because the main gain here is double the framerate... that was where the PS5 power with the help of PSSR was used... the difference between PS5 and PS5 Pro GPU should not allow doubling the framerate without PSSR.

Last edited:
If the base PS5 is running 1080p/60 in performance mode and 4k/30 in quality mode, PS5 pro will use performance mode as the base for its 4k PSSR/60 mode. So it is essentially running the performance mode at 4k, not quality mode at 60fps. Not very apparent in FFVII because the only difference between modes is the resolution, but in other games quality modes also include higher settings other tan resolution.

If the base PS5 is running 1080p/60 in performance mode and 4k/30 in quality mode, PS5 pro will use performance mode as the base for its 4k PSSR/60 mode. So it is essentially running the performance mode at 4k, not quality mode at 60fps. Not very apparent in FFVII because the only difference between modes is the resolution, but in other games quality modes also include higher settings other tan resolution.
If game on ps5 use fsr and rt devs will have room too incerease settings above + pssr. FF7r doesnt use fsr and rt.

A lot remains to be seen. If PSSR is done on the additional 24CU's then there's scope for varying levels of PSSR quality in conjunction with varying amounts of said additional CU's used for rendering.

What is this nonsense?

Lol I'm saying we don't have a die shot yet, so we can't know if there's an NPU/tensor cores in addition to the increase to 60CU's.

I think it's more likely than not that it's all done on the GPU, given that everything we've seen so far indicates the PS5's 60fps mode being PSSR'd to 4K with dialled up ray tracing.

I've seen what you've said about Sony stating "custom hardware," so your position's justified, but I've seen enough instances of bullshit advertising talk from companies which they can "well technically" their way around that I'm always skeptical.

I'd love to be wrong though. I intend on buying one when I'm not skint and it's a better price, so 60CU's in addition to upscaling hardware would be lovely.

Lol I'm saying we don't have a die shot yet, so we can't know if there's an NPU/tensor cores in addition to the increase to 60CU's.

I think it's more likely than not that it's all done on the GPU, given that everything we've seen so far indicates the PS5's 60fps mode being PSSR'd to 4K with dialled up ray tracing.

I've seen what you've said about Sony stating "custom hardware," so your position's justified, but I've seen enough instances of bullshit advertising talk from companies which they can "well technically" their way around that I'm always skeptical.

I'd love to be wrong though. I intend on buying one when I'm not skint and it's a better price, so 60CU's in addition to upscaling hardware would be lovely.
He meant the splitting of CUs between PSSR and rendering. Assuming PSSR is done on the shader core, there wouldn’t be a rationing of cores.

Back