PS5 Pro *spawn

Is not as impressive as it seems because FF7R image quality was just atrocious.
That was probably the "best case scenario".
To better judged what PSSR can do you need to see what it does to better original image quality.
I think cases when pro improved atrocious quality are more important ;) I wasnt impresed by lou2 or ratchet that much, games looks already good on base ps5.

Very nice.

AI based upscaler producing better results than native + TAA. Hmmm 🤔
Means their AI upscaler is pretty good. Maybe not up to par with DLSS yet, but it's maybe very close for the first version. What I like here is the super sharp textures! This is a traditionnal Playstation trait of their previous techs, already with most CBR implementations (they had custom silicon on Pro just for that).

Also what's impressive is the almost lack of ghosting in motion including in alpha effects and vegetation. This is the main problem of FSR and likely the main reason why FSR would not be possible on this game because of the prevalence of alpha effects during combat. FSR would mean a vaseline mask in all combats and it would be a disaster (like in Wukong BTW). But here the countless transparency effects look so clean during those moments, it's really a promising tech.

PSSR looks to be quite disappointing so far for an AI upscaler. It is better than FSR, but as DF has pointed out, the image is not temporally stable in FFVII or Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart, compared to what DLSS or XeSS has been able to offer.

When DLSS is updated for Nvidia cards, does it improve DLSS in all games which use it, or are games effectively tied to a single version of DLSS?

I'm just wondering if we might be able to expect system software updates to improve IQ.
Games are tied to a specific version of DLSS, but since DLSS uses a .dll file it can be manually swapped by the user. The DirectSR API is supposed to fix this by tying the DLSS version to the driver instead of the game. Sony can design the PSSR API from the start to tie the PSSR version to the console software instead of the game's software if it wishes to.

Last edited:
This is the main problem of FSR and likely the main reason why FSR would not be possible on this game because of the prevalence of alpha effects during combat. FSR would mean a vaseline mask in all combats and it would be a disaster (like in Wukong BTW)
Yeah, this is exactly what happened with FF16 on PC. DLSS and XeSS didn't exhibit that issue.

In this game, AMD FSR 3.0 suffers from major artifacts. While we did not notice major ghosting, almost all of the particles are a complete mess. Look how pixelated and “low-res” the whole scene looks with FSR 3.0 in the following comparison

PSSR appears to be a genuine 3rd entrant into the ML upscaling race. That's a great thing, and good for the console market.

I can't help but point out that this is what MS made customisations to their hardware for, announced, and then couldn't be arsed to even try even once (on console, they've developed for laptops).

PS5 Pro is looking like a really nice upgrade for people with the readies, with pretty honest expectations being set. Gotta respect that, even if the pricing is a little higher than people were hoping for.

If I was a PS gamer with the money to spend I'd give it a shot.

Taking into account that ps5 use bilinear upscale that is cheap and pro still after pssr use same internal res + has more stable framerate we can defenitly expect increase internal res when base ps5 use fsr2 like in Alan Wake2
That's probably a worse use of the quite small power increase on offer. I'd expect PSSR to provide a larger improvement than upping the internal res for FSR 2.

Back