The Complete List of PC Ray Traced Titles with Classification

We may finally get the Ray Tracing effects (shadows and reflections) that Rockstar added to the PS5 and Xbox Series X versions.

it has been 84 years....

but seriously, I also will take that with a grain of salt like John says in the article. I would like it, but Rockstar is very slow to move on PC for anything... if ever!

Personal anecdote time: I have literally zero interest in sports games. Futbol (soccer), NBA, NFL, NHL, and whatever baseball is called at the national league level... Zero interest in them whatsoever. But man, if NBA2k25 is indicative of "good" animation for sports games, JFC I'm sorry for all of you who do enjoy those games :(
This is as good as it gets in sports games unfortunately.

That’s pretty random. It may be a test bed for their exploration of RT. Hopefully they update the more recent games too.

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024 is launching with ray traced shadows (and possibly reflections).

Now we just need to know if they'll finally show crashes with properly self shadowing smoke when you try to fly Bojoing (finnish term for crashing Boeings, meaning more or less the sound of "bouncing")

GOW Ragnarok may be getting some RT support in the future:
Matt DeWald: For the cube map reflection stuff, we tried to get DXR working properly with that, but we just weren't able to do it, so that's falling back to just basic cube maps in that area. What we realised is that due to the number of reflective surfaces and overall environment, ray tracing is most noticeable in the one scene that Stephen McAuley called out in his GDC talk [around 23:00 in the Realm Between Realms. Given the time of the project, we've pushed that to the side for now. We're hoping to get to that post-launch if we can get DXR working the want we want it to.
From the phrasing it sounds like they weren't able to transfer the way PS5 does reflections to PC and tried to do them with DXR RT instead but that didn't work either for some reason (time/budget probably).

I'm going to presume the RT shadows don't have the billinear-filtered-huge-pixel-edges of the current shadow technology, which would be a welcome thing.

The performance of ray tracing is inherently scene-dependent, isn't it? Some scenes will have less ray coherency or more bounces, others will have more geometry to test against. If developers wanted to ensure consistent performance across a game, how would they do so? Find every scene with frame rate drops and ask artists to change it? Scale the number of samples per pixel? Just implement dynamic resolution scaling?

Back