Current Generation Games Analysis Technical Discussion [2024] [XBSX|S, PS5, PC]

Nixxes has released patches for their various ports on PC to include FSR3.1.

Horizon: Forbidden West also got some interesting improvements. "Added a Cinematic Face Detail option"... hmmm, I wonder what that does? lol. I'll have to check it out when I have some time. I also want to check out Ratchet and Clank again with FSR3.1. Nixxes are so good when it comes to post launch support and continual improvements. I really wish more and more studios could do what they do.

Screenshot-2024-06-27-161703.png

Nixxes has released patches for their various ports on PC to include FSR3.1.

Horizon: Forbidden West also got some interesting improvements. "Added a Cinematic Face Detail option"... hmmm, I wonder what that does? l

It "adjusts the facial detail during cinematics between Performance and Quality modes". And it was set to quality when I launched the game. So I'm assuming this is simply a new performance tweak to allow quality to be lowered on systems that struggle as opposed to a new higher quality setting.

Outlaws gameplay footage is getting justifiably criticized for looking janky and dated. The particle effects and animation in particular look pretty bad.

That's funny, because I think looks excellent, totally looking forward to it. Then again if Star Wars fans weren't bitching about something I think they'd literally implode.

Looks fine, although the visuals seem a fair bit less impressive than Avatar. The particle effects are meme worthy though.

August 1, 2024
The PC system requirements for Star Wars Outlaws are broken up into four recommended configurations. The usual minimum/recommended specs, as well as a ‘High' spec for 1440p and an ‘Ultra' spec for playing the game at 4K. The interesting part is that each of these configurations includes a note that Upscaling methods like DLSS, FSR or XeSS should be used across the board to achieve smooth performance.

Do we have any footage of the game with Nvidia's full RT?
It only uses RT shadows, which is whatever as the engine already has a very nice spec/diffuse GI.

There's like 2 seconds here, nice enough improvement though I suspect any distant shadows will become static while shadow maps would continue to animate the same shadows (yay BVH rebuild cost):

I'm more worried about the game being fun at all, some of the previews made it sound literally broken in the demos, basic gameplay stuff like not properly latching onto parkour objects and just falling to your death repeatedly. Game might be Watchdogged and get released fucked, because Ubisoft.

It only uses RT shadows, which is whatever as the engine already has a very nice spec/diffuse GI.

There's like 2 seconds here, nice enough improvement though I suspect any distant shadows will become static while shadow maps would continue to animate the same shadows (yay BVH rebuild cost):
I could have sworn there was an announcement months ago that the game was getting the full RT treatment.

RT shadows, reflections, and RTXDI
It only uses RT shadows
I tried to google the announcement I thought I remembered and came up empty. Oh well
RT shadows (RTXDI), reflections and global illumination.

enhanced with NVIDIA RTX Direct Illumination (RTXDI), plus ray-traced reflections, ray-traced shadows, and ray-traced global illumination

Same engine as Frontiers of Pandora, there's already RT reflections and diffuse GI so... RT shadows is really all they're adding. Neat that it works with DLSS 3.5 though.
looks like that isn't even new. so it's all the same stuff as Avatar

Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora will include raytraced reflections and shadows for more immersive environmental exploration, and extended graphic settings that allow for granular tweaks to a multitude of visuals such as environment reflection quality, and distant shadows.

I have checked infos about RTXDI. While with other technologies the frame rate drops rapidly with every danamic shadow casting light source RTXDI offers very high performance.
RTXDI gives you freedom while in other technologies you have to keep a very close eye on performance for each dynamic light source. You don't need to bake the light soucres with RTXDI. Any light source can be a hero light. Compared to what we have normally in games RTXDI is a game changer.

In Cyberpunk 2077 we saw the advantages of RTXDI in RT Overdrive. The game looks far more impressive in RT Overdrive when every light source works in hero light quality. Previously, the lighting quality of the game fluctuated greatly. I actually found it best during the day and outdoors because there wasn't the problem with the lack of shadows and so on.

When someone just says "RT Shadows" my first association of it is RT Shadows for direct light only. But RTXDI is accurate RT for each light source.

One of the most impactful additions in the technology preview of Cyberpunk 2077’s Ray Tracing: Overdrive Mode is NVIDIA RTX Direct Illumination (RTXDI), a free SDK that enables developers to closely replicate the appearance of light in scenes with numerous light sources. With RTXDI, thousands of objects can emit ray-traced light.

In Cyberpunk 2077, each neon sign, street lamp, LED billboard, car headlight, and other source of light is now ray-traced, bathing objects, walls, passing cars and pedestrians in accurate lighting.
With full ray tracing and RTXDI, now practically all light sources cast physically correct soft shadows, a feat previously unimaginable using previous approaches. Players will experience enhanced shadowing, with better depth, detail and realism.

Last edited:
There's another Starwars game just been released on pc starwars bounty hunter don't know anything else about it.

So Star Wars: Jedi Survivor is getting an upcoming PC performance patch after all this time. They've said they'd patch performance before, and the improvements were subtle at best.. so here's hoping this time they're finally pushing to iron out the PC issues.

Additionally, EA says the PC version - which Digital Foundry called "the worst PC port of 2023" - will be recieving an update "in the coming weeks". This promises "enhancements to the game's technical performance, controls and more", as well as various quality of life improvements.

It's almost certain that @Dictator and the DF crew calling it one of the worst PC ports in recent times and generally bringing the game up from time to time reminding players how bad the PC port is, has much to do with why anything is being done at all on it after all this time. Once again, if this genuinely improves the situation on PC, we'll be indebted to Alex and DF for using their voice to amplify our issues with games. They're quite frankly an invaluable asset when it comes to that.. and we all just have to keep speaking up.

Back