Unreal Engine 5, [UE5 Developer Availability 2022-04-05]

The game looks sharper and more vibrant, and the colors come into their own much better than we've ever seen in a LEGO game. Well, almost then. There was once a puzzle game called LEGO: Builder's Journey. That game was created by Light Brick Studio and had raytraced lighting effects. That gave the digital Lego blocks in that game a very different look than the Lego blocks in all other LEGO games: sharper, more vibrant. That's a somewhat special way to describe a lifeless lego block, but it's exactly what we see in LEGO Horizon Adventures.

Coincidence? Certainly not, because the game is made with Unreal Engine 5 and also uses raytracing. James Windeler couldn't go into the details of that, but it does explain that there are visual similarities between Builder's Journey and LEGO Horizon Adventures. That's pretty impressive, because Builder's Journey was very small-scale. No world had to be built with all kinds of entertaining visual details. The number of blocks on which light effects had to be simulated was low. LEGO Horizon Adventures does the same, but in a complete game world where you can sometimes see quite large areas within one shot, and in which everything looks equally sleek and colorful.

Lego Horizon Adventures use UE5 and raytracing on PS5 and PC

EDIT:
Performance (60) fps and fidelity mode(30 fps)

Last edited:
Exodus is an epic new sci-fi action-adventure RPG franchise developed by the team at Archetype Entertainment, former Bioware developers.

40,000 years ago, humanity was forced to abandon a dying Earth. Taking to the stars in massive ark ships, we found a habitable galaxy, in Centauri. Here, we are the underdogs, struggling for survival in a cold and hostile galaxy. Teetering on the edge of extinction, our only hope for salvation lies with the Travelers – brave heroes and explorers descended from the early colonists on those first ships that left Earth long ago...

00:00 Prologue
06:12 Cinematic Trailer

Exodus is an epic new sci-fi action-adventure RPG franchise developed by the team at Archetype Entertainment, former Bioware developers.

40,000 years ago, humanity was forced to abandon a dying Earth. Taking to the stars in massive ark ships, we found a habitable galaxy, in Andromeda. Here, we are the underdogs, struggling for survival in a cold and hostile galaxy. Teetering on the edge of extinction, our only hope for salvation lies with the Pathfinders– brave heroes and explorers descended from the early colonists on those first ships that left Earth long ago...

Seems familiar :unsure:

Launches in a week.

Some technical details below from an old WCCFTech article. I wonder if anything has changed. Hopefully DF will take a look.

What was your experience with Unreal Engine 5 as a developer? Is it ready for primetime development yet?

We started developing The First Descendant with the latest version of Unreal Engine 4. Unreal Engine 5 was released during our development, and our Dev team became highly interested in its visual quality. Although I was a bit concerned since the development had already progressed a lot at this point, I decided to boldly upgrade our game to Unreal Engine 5 for the best visual quality.

The main reason for the upgrade is the Nanite and Lumen of Unreal Engine 5. In particular, we believe that the lighting quality provided by Luman, a Real-time Global Illumination solution, is essential for next-gen projects.

Will there be any ray tracing support in the game? What about upscaling techniques like DLSS 3, FSR 2, or Intel XeSS on PC?

We will, of course, support ray tracing. However, for various reasons, the recent beta only supported UE5's software ray tracing. Moreover, for the upscaling, we'll support DLSS, FSR, and Intel's XeSS. FRS and XeSS will all be up to date, and we'll support up to DLSS 2. As for DLSS 3, we have plans to support it at a later date.

there was an open beta almost a year ago, i had tried it, played like some Gears of War with special powers.
it was decent. I liked the characters intros lol

Currently I'am playing Fort Solis. I find the boiling annoying. For me, a game with this amount of noise would not be shippable. It's noisier than the first pathtraced version of Cyberpunk 2077 in low resolution.
I found it extremely annoying as well, especially how the light boiling got significantly worse with upscaling, as the lower internal resolution also appeared to reduce the SW lumen sample rate.

It's extra frustrating because HW lumen fixes it, and it's literally just a checkbox for the developers to enable it. I understand small teams might not want to have a completely separate lighting path to re-QA, but a reasonable compromise to me would be to have the toggle in the settings menu, with a warning and a disclaimer that it's experimental and unsupported, and not to open a support ticket about it if it doesn't work the way you want it to:

I found it extremely annoying as well, especially how the light boiling got significantly worse with upscaling, as the lower internal resolution also appeared to reduce the SW lumen sample rate.

It's extra frustrating because HW lumen fixes it, and it's literally just a checkbox for the developers to enable it. I understand small teams might not want to have a completely separate lighting path to re-QA, but a reasonable compromise to me would be to have the toggle in the settings menu, with a warning and a disclaimer that it's experimental and unsupported, and not to open a support ticket about it if it doesn't work the way you want it to:

They could limit it to a settings file edit to prevent casuals from ever using it.

It can take a decent amount of dev time to make sure there are no bugs and no performance hitches. Thus the cheap enough for consoles software lumen is the default.

This level art walkthrough shows issues UE5 currently faces. On straight architectural edges LOD pops become obvious, limited light bounces cause semi closed off areas to get incredibly dark, I'm also pretty sure there's even faked lights in the interior to make up for a lack of light bounces. Still, pretty good that those are the main issues other than a few vsm tiles not getting drawn in fast enough:

Back