The Last of Us, Part 1 Remaster Remaster [PS5, PC]

Shader compilation in the background? But people don't know about that going on, so they think the performance is bad in general.

According to Alex who posted on it somewhere here recently, the 3600x can still drop into the 40's even with shader comp completed.

Unless I guess no amount of waiting at the start will prevent shader comp from continuing in the background for later levels say. But that would be a very poor design choice.

Not seen this posted in this thread yet so bringing it in for those that haven't seen it in the Current Gen Tech discussion thread:

Seems like quite a few enhancements on the PC version at Ultra and even high settings (as well as some additional graphical issues which are hopefully just bugs). This is pretty relevant to the performance comparisons and exactly why it would be sensible in games like this (which will be inevitably judged on their performance against the console original) to have an 'Original' setting which exactly matches the console version.

People are just blasting everything up to Ultra and wondering why it's so slow. Even textures at Ultra are above the PS5 it seems, so using these as a basis for VRAM comparisons makes no sense.

According to Alex who posted on it somewhere here recently, the 3600x can still drop into the 40's even with shader comp completed.
Did not see any perf tests at all, but i'd propose to lower gfx settings. : )
Unless I guess no amount of waiting at the start will prevent shader comp from continuing in the background for later levels say.
It can take up to 90min they say, so i assume that's enough for the whole game. :O

Not seen this posted in this thread yet so bringing it in for those that haven't seen it in the Current Gen Tech discussion thread:

Seems like quite a few enhancements on the PC version at Ultra and even high settings (as well as some additional graphical issues which are hopefully just bugs). This is pretty relevant to the performance comparisons and exactly why it would be sensible in games like this (which will be inevitably judged on their performance against the console original) to have an 'Original' setting which exactly matches the console version.

People are just blasting everything up to Ultra and wondering why it's so slow. Even textures at Ultra are above the PS5 it seems, so using these as a basis for VRAM comparisons makes no sense.
Yeah wish it had Original setttings.

Name some TPS's that are better?

I and others already have.

But I'll share one in-game screenshot that shows graphically TLOU Part 1 is no where close to being the best looking game on PC and TLOU2 wouldn't be either.

Attachments

• APlagueTaleRequiem_x64_2023_03_30_14_48_06_663.png
    APlagueTaleRequiem_x64_2023_03_30_14_48_06_663.png
    6.3 MB · Views: 51
Last edited:
I and others already have.

But I'll share one in-game screenshot that shows graphically TLOU Part 1 is no where close to being the best looking game on PC and TLOU2 wouldn't be either.
Naughty Dog are super talented devs but clearly this remaster was designed for the PS4 first before they decided to make it a PS5 exclusive, there's only so much they can do! I'm surprised at how many consider TLoU2 and this remake to be GOAT tier graphics, they are super pretty because great art but top tier? No, and IMO TLoU2 wasn't even the best when it came out, though super impressive for PS4 that's for damn sure.

IMO TLoU2 wasn't even the best when it came out, though super impressive for PS4 that's for damn sure.
What was better than TLOU2 around that time? RDR2 is the only thing that comes to mind as being really impressive for open world.

What was better than TLOU2 around that time? RDR2 is the only thing that comes to mind as being really impressive for open world.
TLOU2 had lots of sore spots, graphically. Not to mention that it was largely fairly constrained environments as well. Even the rare 'open' areas tended to still be quite blocked off, with most of the background scenery being inaccessible(where more tricks can be used).

The Last of Us™ Part II_20210526142809.png
This is a direct capture of mine from base PS4 version, just to be clear.

Just curious, beyond anisotropic Filterung - what settings looked better on high exactly than PS5?

Did not see any perf tests at all, but i'd propose to lower gfx settings. : )

It can take up to 90min they say, so i assume that's enough for the whole game. :O
No graphics settings being lowered in this Game fix how it utilises the CPU and the performance it produced - the Game is strictly CPU bound in an intense way.
Nearly all the settings are Limited to affecting GPU performance only.

Last edited:
TLOU2 had lots of sore spots, graphically. Not to mention that it was largely fairly constrained environments as well. Even the rare 'open' areas tended to still be quite blocked off, with most of the background scenery being inaccessible(where more tricks can be used).

View attachment 8574
This is a direct capture of mine from base PS4 version, just to be clear.
What games are you comparing it with?

No graphics settings being lowered in this Game fix how it utilises the CPU and the performance it produced - the Game is strictly CPU bound in an intense way.
Nearly all the settings are Limited to affecting GPU performance only.
What are your thoughts on settings that claim Moderate/Major VRAM but have no impact on VRAM consumption bar? Do you think they're bugged or how do they function? I'm trying to play around them, putting them to High, Ultra... Seems to make not much of a difference in VRAM usage. I eagerly await your elaborate analysis on this game's graphical settings. They're so extensive, I feel overwhelmed. :runaway:

What games are you comparing it with?

From that year ? Im in complete agreement with the boys over at DF when they did their best graphics lineup at the end of the year. Alyx, Spiderman, Fligh Sim and Cyberpunk are all better. As for later years ? Pretty much any other big game that came out.

What are your thoughts on settings that claim Moderate/Major VRAM but have no impact on VRAM consumption bar? Do you think they're bugged or how do they function? I'm trying to play around them, putting them to High, Ultra... Seems to make not much of a difference in VRAM usage. I eagerly await your elaborate analysis on this game's graphical settings. They're so extensive, I feel overwhelmed. :runaway:
Taking a short glance at the ElAnalistaDeBits video, medium settings with high textures should give a pretty close experience to the PS5.

You could try running these settings on your GPU and look if it runs good.

Back