The Last of Us, Part 1 Remaster Remaster [PS5, PC]

maybe iron galaxy could consult guerilla?

From NaughtyDog's entry @ https://www.naughtydog.com/blog/uncharted_legacy_of_thieves_collection_pc_launch

We also knew this PC release wasn’t going to be a one-off. As you may already know, The Last of Us Part I is in development for PC following its successful launch on PlayStation 5, and with this being, ahem, uncharted territory for us, we knew we have a lot to learn about bringing our games to PC. But we were also determined to bring our careful consideration for every aspect of our games to this new version. So for the UNCHARTED: Legacy of Thieves Collection, we deliberately partnered with Iron Galaxy because we saw in the studio not only a tremendous understanding of PC development we could learn from, but also a team that shared a love for our series as if it were their own. Iron Galaxy offered a partner we could trust would deliver a high-quality version of these two UNCHARTED games, and with whom we could work closely to better understand PC development while internally staying focused on current and future projects and bringing them to PC as well.

Learning all of this through our partnership with Iron Galaxy Studios only helps to bolster Naughty Dog’s understanding of PC development, and allow us to deliver the quality you expect in our future releases. We’re excited to be offering The Last of Us Part I on PC in the future, and know that, moving forward, adding PC development to the way we develop games, which in no way undermines the importance of PlayStation 5 as our primary platform, will continue to benefit our team in the long run.

Who really knows how much Iron Galaxy participated in the development. That marketing speak is meaningless. The only thing we can say for sure is Iron Galaxy certainly doesn't have a tremendous understanding of PC development.

my point was that, Guerilla already got similar issues with Horizon on PC. They finally fixed those issues.

so TLOU PC team (ND+IG) probably could learn from Guerilla's experience. Sure, things may be not directly applicable for TLOU as HZD use totally different engine, but maybe the general knowledge can help.

Extremely high praise from CB:

The Last of Us Part I is a graphics blast with the appropriate settings on the PC, there is no other way to put it. There is currently no more beautiful game, TLoU is the reference.

Seems another game upsetting gamers with shader compilation.

This is so easy to fix: Steam takes 30% for hosting some download servers.
They should do something for the money, which is: Make a new service and API to download precompiled shaders to the users custom hardware automatically.

Average? You've not even played it if that's your opinion.

Yes it's average.

• The geometry count is nothing special
  • The textures are nothing special
  • Most of the special effects are average looking

The lighting at certain places can look quite nice but as an overall package it's nothing special.

When you've played games like A Plague's Tale Requiem on max settings then TLOU does look average.

Last edited:
I wouldnt use the word average, but yeah, Naughty Dog's visual output is so abnormally overinflated. I think in every single year that they released something there were multiple games with better and more complex visual output, if not at the very least on par with them. Yet, the exclusive nature of their games has them singled out and you often see comments online "oh, i cant wait to see the next game from ND, surely it'll be the new benchmark". Well, why can't you wait and see the next game from the numerous other developers that released better looking games in the same timeframe ?

I wouldnt use the word average, but yeah, Naughty Dog's visual output is so abnormally overinflated. I think in every single year that they released something there were multiple games with better and more complex visual output, if not at the very least on par with them. Yet, the exclusive nature of their games has them singled out and you often see comments online "oh, i cant wait to see the next game from ND, surely it'll be the new benchmark". Well, why can't you wait and see the next game from the numerous other developers that released better looking games in the same timeframe ?

I've yet to see a TPS that matches Last Of Us 2 it's still a benchmark single player game and when it releases on PC it will be the benchmark there.

I've yet to see a TPS that matches Last Of Us 2 it's still a benchmark single player game and when it releases on PC it will be the benchmark there.
He’s right though. I’m playing the game maxed out and am thoroughly underwhelmed by its visuals. I recall TLOU Remastered looking way better back in 2016. This looks like a PS4 game and looks worse than GOW, Horizon Forbidden West, Callisto Protocol, Requiem, or even RE4R. It looks fine but calling it a visual benchmark is comical.

I will say though that TLOU has much better faces and animations than most games out there but the animations in the remake look kind of dated. It’s like they just reused them.

Last edited:
I think Forbidden west looks quite a bit better than TLOU Pt 1 and 2 from an assets perspective (textures and model detail).
Agreed. To be 100% honest, ND games haven’t really impressed me since TLOU in 2013. What I found the most amazing in Uncharted 4 were the destructible environments and physics. Hitting those sandbags in that truck chase chapter and watching them pop and deform was pretty great.

Otherwise, I can’t say I was particularly impressed by anything outside of cutscenes. It did look good, don’t get me wrong but people were trying to prop it up as some kind of next-level game in terms of visuals when we had stuff like Battlefront 2. Hell, I found Quantum Break on PC looked better and thought Ryse outdid most PS4 games in terms of visuals but it was heresy to question Sony’s first party games. They win the best looking game awards by default.

PS: Remedy is underrated in that department.

gyjp0lo16rqa1.jpg

OMG haha! 😂

It's very average looking, it just looks better than it should because the lighting is cohesive and does a good job of blending everything together but when you actually look at things you see how average the assets actually are.

Shots are at Ultra settings.

Attachments

• tlou-i_2023_03_30_11_40_09_327.png
    tlou-i_2023_03_30_11_40_09_327.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 18
  • tlou-i_2023_03_30_11_40_20_512.png
    tlou-i_2023_03_30_11_40_20_512.png
    4 MB · Views: 17
  • tlou-i_2023_03_30_11_44_41_429.png
    tlou-i_2023_03_30_11_44_41_429.png
    6.2 MB · Views: 17
  • tlou-i_2023_03_30_11_45_05_239.png
    tlou-i_2023_03_30_11_45_05_239.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 16
  • tlou-i_2023_03_30_11_45_38_191.png
    tlou-i_2023_03_30_11_45_38_191.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 17
  • tlou-i_2023_03_30_11_47_07_951.png
    tlou-i_2023_03_30_11_47_07_951.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 16
  • tlou-i_2023_03_30_11_48_28_892.png
    tlou-i_2023_03_30_11_48_28_892.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 17
Seems another game upsetting gamers with shader compilation.

This is so easy to fix: Steam takes 30% for hosting some download servers.
They should do something for the money, which is: Make a new service and API to download precompiled shaders to the users custom hardware automatically.

To be honest, despite this games many other issues, I'm not too concerned about the long shader compilation step. The reality is that as a very high end console exclusive (for it's day) the artists likely went crazy with the shader variations as they had no need to account for compilation time on the PC. So there's probably just a lot more to compile in this game compared with your typical multiplatform that has been designed for PC from the outset.

They put the pre-comp step in there which is what we've all been asking for, if it takes a while to complete, just accept it as one of the fundamental compromises of PC gaming.

The performance issues on the other hand are unacceptable. Like what could they have possible added from a CPU perspective that makes modern high end PC CPU's struggle to double the PS4's framerate?

Come on man... Calisto and PT: Requiem are two of the more obvious ones.

One of the more interesting aspects of Sony releasing their headline games on PC now is that we'll likely start seeing some more objective comparisons to multiplatform games.

To be honest, despite this games many other issues, I'm not too concerned about the long shader compilation step. The reality is that as a very high end console exclusive (for it's day) the artists likely went crazy with the shader variations as they had no need to account for compilation time on the PC. So there's probably just a lot more to compile in this game compared with your typical multiplatform that has been designed for PC from the outset.
Maybe, but currently all i see is people complaining about compilation stutters for a whole lot of recent games. So i think there is a need for precompilation on PC too, even i agree reducing shader numbers wouldn't be bad either.

Regarding TLoU, i can imagine it's worse than it should be, also mainly because:
Knowing Uncharted on PC, there is a small hint on background compilation on the edge of the screen in the main menu. But you can start playing before it's done, which explains why so many people complain about bad perf.
They should not allow to play until finished. But worse, in german they got the translation wrong. It means: 'Doing something with buildings.' You know, the kind of buildings which have rooms, doors and windows.
So german players who are not into tech will not know that they should wait at all, simply because they won't know what's going on. And english speaking players still need to know wtf 'shader compilation' is as well.
Now i have read they did the exact same translation mistake with TLoU again, and you can still play without waiting on completion too.
No wonder most Steam reviews are negative, but i do wonder why they do such mistake twice. Ruining reputation just because being sloppy on such silly things.

Like what could they have possible added from a CPU perspective that makes modern high end PC CPU's struggle to double the PS4's framerate?
Shader compilation in the background? But people don't know about that going on, so they think the performance is bad in general.

That's what i thought at least. DSOG said it runs almost 60 fps in 4k. Though, on the most powerful PC HW you can get.
UC runs pretty well on my <PS5 speced PC at least. It has some bugs, e.g. showing T-pose characters in cutscenes. And it crashes pretty often to desktop. But it's not really a problem. Still a fine game.

Not true if you put it into proper context. All their games were pushing the envelope on the consoles they were originally released on, to the point where playing other games on the same console it was almost impossible to be impressed.
For example TLOUS2 may have been surpassed today, but when it was released on PS4 for the first time it was indeed one of the most impressive titles ever on the console, with character animations and painstaking attention to detail that was hard to find in other games. It was so good back then that playing on PS5 it felt like it was a current gen game.
TLOUS: Remake got praised for its visuals, but it didnt get nowhere as much praise. Actually it was underrated, and criticized for not being much of an improvement when putting side to side the remaster and the remake, it was indeed much better looking. Yet the game was regarded as being on the same level as TLOUS2 and not above anything else available.

Back