Unreal Engine 5, [UE5 Developer Availability 2022-04-05]

I tried the demo on Ps5 and I was not impressed at all. Serious TAA ghosting, 30fps with frame drops, awful cube maps, no foliage, low resolution with a very poor TAA implementation. I don’t know if we were supposed to be impressed but it’s a no from me dawg.

It definitely doesn't look real, but it looks as good as a lot of pre-rendered cut scenes, which is pretty impressive.

The free roaming is very impressive. Fly by in an open world with that detail? It is kind of funny there are no leaves on the trees though. Hopefully they get that sorted in the engine.

None of it looks as good as a pre-rendered cutscene to me. As soon as the camera moves, the whole illusion falls apart. I still have the “experience” running as I type this and it just looks so poor to me. So very fake.

Next gen is here, and it's awesome, the quality on display here is simply pre-rendered materials.

Some details per Eurogamer...

Part of the vision of this demo is to emphasis that large, realistic open worlds can be generated by a relatively small team thanks to some impressive procedural generation systems. In fact, Epic included these stats with their press release, which apply to PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X renditions of the demo.
  • The city is 4,138 km wide and 4.968 km long, slightly larger than the size of downtown Los Angeles
  • The city surface is 15.79 km2
  • The city perimeter is 14.519 km long
  • There are 260 km of roads in the city
  • There are 512 km of sidewalk in the city
  • There are 1,248 intersections in the city
  • There are 45,073 parked cars, of which 38,146 are drivable and destructible
  • There are 17,000 simulated traffic vehicles on the road that are destructible
  • 7,000 buildings
  • 27,848 lamp posts on the street side only
  • 12,422 sewer holes
  • Almost 10 million unique and duplicated assets were created to make the city
  • The entire world is lit by only the sun, sky and emissive materials on meshes. No light sources were placed for the tens of thousands of street lights and headlights. In night mode, nearly all lighting comes from the millions of emissive building windows
  • 35,000 simulated MetaHuman pedestrians
  • Average polygon count? 7000k buildings made of 1000s of assets and each asset could be up to millions of polygons so we have several billions of polygons to make up just the buildings of the city

So, you can also drive cars in this and there are quite a few physics and sound glitching issues. As a tech demo, it’s very unpolished but 5th at being said, the car deformation is nice. There are also frame drops when driving quickly lol. If we’re capped at 30 fps for ue5 on consoles, there’s no point. They really need to work on optimizations to get this up to par. I’ll be interested to see digital foundry’s comparisons between consoles. Some of the stats posted are quite impressive but, it fails to make a tangible benefit to the general user experience. The best thing so far imo is the lighting. It makes the biggest difference.

Oh by the way, Lumen is hardware accelerated now. Also, UE5 now supports hardware accelerated RT reflections and shadows.

The Matrix Awakens sees Lumen taken to the next level, with extra performance and fidelity in indirect and diffuse lighting delivered by the hardware-accelerated ray tracing hardware in the new consoles, which can also offer up ray-traced reflections and area light shadows.

These systems are exceptionally heavy on performance, meaning that Epic leans in heavily on its TSR (temporal super resolution) solution that injects data from prior frames into the one currently being rendered in order to improve quality

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2021-the-matrix-ue5-demo-is-incredible

Another thing I noticed on the Ps5 version is screen tearing at the top of the screen. It’s again noticeable while driving. In many ways, I’m quite baffled at how this is being hyped.

Edit: It appears that there might be RT reflections in some of the puddles and the car body. So it looks like RT reflections are in? At least the reflection didn’t look like ssr but, I could be wrong. I’m not an expert. I also made a comment earlier about cube maps. I’m not sure if they’re in use but when you walk by the buildings, some of the interiors appear similar to the trick used on building windows in Miles Morales.

Last edited:
Next gen is here, and it's awesome, the quality on display here is simply pre-rendered material.

??? this is bonkers...
The whole thunderdome/UE5 while actors act in it; I totally get it. Just put all the effort into the game engine, skip the full render.

Turning off the matrix filter is an improvement but when observed up close, it’s still not impressive. I hope this comes to PC.

I'm somewhat pissed that there is no PC demo currently. I guess the PS5 version will have to do for now.
It is made by a very small team, they likely didn't have the time or the manpower to do PC optimizations (especially streaming and Ray Tracing), so they skipped PC entirely.

I've always said they should release the console demos, so I'm glad they have this time.
Be nice to also hear what DF say when they have a play, as would like to hear about the XSS compromises also etc.

All things considered looks pretty impressive to me in video.

How good TSR compare to DLSS? Think supposed to be pretty good.

Last edited:
It’s really impressive! The insane draw distance is what really stands out, however the texture resolution is average up close... I expected the textures to have the fidelity of the PS5 UE5 demo reveal.

Really nice overall, almost to mind blowing (which I havent really seen since 2007) but not there.

All I could think is this will be what GTA 6 walking around the city will look like. But, no reason they cant do way better if you think about it. Heck they've still got ten years till release. I kid, maybe.

DAMN!! The demo may not be perfect, but the overall tech is quite impressive.

Only here would be mostly critical of arguably some of the best graphics ever presented. Although as stated by many not perfect, and not even to the point I'd be that amazed to see it in a shipping game.

Can you walk around the city at night? Havent seen that but the bullet points make it seem possible. also never knew you could drive til I just saw the vid.

Anyways, cool surprise.

There’s stutter and frame rate drops that happens when driving +100 mph. I wonder if it can be alleviated by installing the demo on a super fast m2 drive.

Back