Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem doesnt seem to occur in the pc version, only at the start/once (shader compilation i think he said). I think the stutter once in a while on the xsx shouldnt have to happen, atleast not due to its hardware.

Between XSX and PS5, go with the PS5. Regarding graphics mode, id think halving the framerate to 30fps might not be worth it to everyone. 60fps does make this game really come to live, but on the other hand so does RT as theres so much relfective surfaces throughout the game (almost everything? :p).

A question, what settings do the PS5/XSX versions run when in performance/60fps modes? I assume the low settings was with graphics/RT mode, but the graphics settings do default to higher when running 60fps/no RT mode?

about fps drops @10:43
"they can appear in places different to ps5 in equal amounts" so i dont think the statement "XBSX is GPU limited in certain areas where's PS5 isn't" is entirely correct.

Tom’s actual statement after Alex: “It is an issue, because the GPU related drops are still there and they can appear in places different to PS5, in equal amounts. So, to have the stutter issue stack on top of that is a big issue and it means you get lurches well below 66 milliseconds and you know broaching 100 milliseconds it does register more obviously than a regular GPU related drop which as you say has a very clean gradient to it on the graph where you can see it. So, hopefully in the future something can be done for it because frankly the game looks and runs really well on the 60fps mode on both series X and PS5, but series X does have this extra nuisance I guess.”

So yes, XBSX does have GPU related drops (which the graph shows, where there is no streaming stutter) like PS5, in certain areas and in equal amounts. But there are also additional issues relating to stuttering/streaming which isn’t exhibited on PS5. Hopefully, those issues can be worked out in a future patch.

the same is stated in eurogamer article

"Owing to the dynamic nature of play, 'ranking' the consoles here is not easy - it seems that in some scenarios, Series X can outperform PlayStation 5, while in others the opposite is true. Xbox Series S does seem to be the least consistent overall, but only by a very small margin. The most noticeable issue here is the Xbox stutter, causing hitching on top of the existing frame-rate drops"

Your quoted DF statement actually backs up my prior statements.

Last edited:
it's a tie. With all the dynamic objects and smoke effects during action sequences, it's impossible to reproduce the exact same scenes on both machines.
So for now what separates them is the stutter on XsX.

Some folks will never except this. In their eyes, one system will always have to be the Alpha product, but in reality XBSX/PS5 are going to be performing very similar with third-party software.

Some folks will never except this. In their eyes, one system will always have to be the Alpha product, but in reality XBSX/PS5 are going to be performing very similar with third-party software.
Where as I see at as some people having to say everything is always equal. Instead of recognizing title by title one can perform better than the other, or equally.
Sometimes PS5 will come out on top, other times XSX, equally other cases.
Just a matter of discussing on the merits.

For me they will be equal if the XS bugs get resolved. That doesn't make the XS a bad version of the game, far from it.

They could have laid the resources/money elsewhere perhaps. Most likely its going un-noticed after awhile even amongst plus users.

Destruction All Stars analysis - a game I tried and honestly I do not understand at all.
What is to undertand in this game ? :d its for free in ps plus so I won't be harsh on it but it's not an aaa ex title for sure, looks quite nice, get boring quickly, I think scifi arerna wasn't best choice, something closer to Twisted Metal would be better

Where as I see at as some people having to say everything is always equal. Instead of recognizing title by title one can perform better than the other, or equally.
Sometimes PS5 will come out on top, other times XSX, equally other cases.
Just a matter of discussing on the merits.

For me they will be equal if the XS bugs get resolved. That doesn't make the XS a bad version of the game, far from it.

I get what you're saying, and I agree with recognizing those certain advantages or disadvantages they may (or will) have across various games. My problem is only with those console/PC warriors who pretend their platform of choice is completely infallible to poor IQ and/or performance issues. I enjoy my RTX 3090 and PS5 very much, but neither are perfect products.

Last edited:
Destruction All Stars analysis - a game I tried and honestly I do not understand at all.
Glanced through the video, it seems to be stock car racing
Mindless fun, zero depth to it, just entertainment, and for someone like me who doesnt play games, I reckon I would play this 10x as long as I would an uncharted game.

I've only been to car racing maybe 10 times in my life, and its always been stockcar racing/smashup derby. F1, nascar etc is super boring compared

it's a tie. With all the dynamic objects and smoke effects during action sequences, it's impossible to reproduce the exact same scenes on both machines.
So for now what separates them is the stutter on XsX.
It's not a tie until the stuttering is fixed on XSX, and even then the DS5 features gives PS5 the win by default if you have to pick one over the other.

Last edited:
It's not a tie until the stuttering is fixed on XSX, and even then the DS5 features gives PS5 the win by default if you have to pick one over the other.
the haptic feedback for Control on Xbox is fairly involved as well, probably not as good as the HD level of quality that DS5 has, but it's made full use of the xbox controller.
For me, if stuttering is resolved, Quick Resume would take precedence. Control is very quick resume friendly, you can pull it off anywhere which is pretty nice given how far some checkpoints can be and some bosses can be frustrating.

Control is very quick resume friendly, you can pull it off anywhere which is pretty nice given how far some checkpoints can be and some bosses can be frustrating.
this one didn't understand, so if you die while fighting with boss you go back to this far checkpoint ? how quick resume could help with this

this one didn't understand, so if you die while fighting with boss you go back to this far checkpoint ? how quick resume could help with this
If you need to stop playing before hitting the next check point, you would be able to QR back to that point instead of having to start at last check point.

If you need to stop playing before hitting the next check point, you would be able to QR back to that point instead of having to start at last check point.
this I understand, I thought that there is some additional save option using selective quick resume place ;d

this I understand, I thought that there is some additional save option using selective quick resume place ;d
yea in the middle of combat you can shut your xbox down. And return when you're less frustrated. Some bosses are extremely frustrating, complete the first phase, and shut down. It's easier to break things down into chunks so your mind can process. Return when you're mentally prepped for phase 2 etc. Typically to get this effect you would need to pause, but you can't shut your console off.

Tom’s actual statement after Alex: “It is an issue, because the GPU related drops are still there and they can appear in places different to PS5, in equal amounts. So, to have the stutter issue stack on top of that is a big issue and it means you get lurches well below 66 milliseconds and you know broaching 100 milliseconds it does register more obviously than a regular GPU related drop which as you say has a very clean gradient to it on the graph where you can see it. So, hopefully in the future something can be done for it because frankly the game looks and runs really well on the 60fps mode on both series X and PS5, but series X does have this extra nuisance I guess.”

So yes, XBSX does have GPU related drops (which the graph shows, where there is no streaming stutter) like PS5, in certain areas and in equal amounts. But there are also additional issues relating to stuttering/streaming which isn’t exhibited on PS5. Hopefully, those issues can be worked out in a future patch.

Your quoted DF statement actually backs up my prior statements.

The problem here is my bad english. I fully agree XSX has both GPU issues and (lets call it) bug FPS issues. I think i misunderstood you. The "XBSX is GPU limited in certain areas where's PS5 isn't" i interpreted wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back