CYBERPUNK 2077 [XO, XBSX|S, PC, PS4, PS5]

I actually hadn't realised that my character was in the nude until I was in her apartment. Then it took me sometime to figure out how to dress her.

I am enjoying the game. The keys take a bit getting used to but I think I am on it now after about four plus hours of gameplay.

FPS sits anything in between 50-70 fps avg with everything turned on. Gameplay is smooth enough. I've seen a few bugs but not a lot.

I don’t understand how they can go from the Witcher 3, which looked like a cross gen 360-Xbox one game, to this: which looks like the first next generation game. It’s amazing!

What's interesting is that a friend of mine who games a LOT on PS4 and now PS4 Pro and is getting a PS5 when he can ... he just played The Witcher 3 for the first time a couple of months ago. He's completely blown away and thinks it's one of the top 5 best looking games on PS4

Then I showed him the PC version. And he's now going to get a gaming PC for the first time in his life. :p

Shrug, everyone likes what they like. I get that you and some others weren't impressed, but there are a lot of people who still feel that TW3 is one of the best looking games of the PS4/XBO era.

Regards,
SB

What's interesting is that a friend of mine who games a LOT on PS4 and now PS4 Pro and is getting a PS5 when he can ... he just played The Witcher 3 for the first time a couple of months ago. He's completely blown away and thinks it's one of the top 5 best looking games on PS4

Then I showed him the PC version. And he's now going to get a gaming PC for the first time in his life. :p

Shrug, everyone likes what they like. I get that you and some others weren't impressed, but there are a lot of people who still feel that TW3 is one of the best looking games of the PS4/XBO era.

Regards,
SB

To me W3 is still the best looking game around on PC (granted with some tweak here and there but no mods). The foliage, the view distance, the npc density in some location, the terrain is never flat, the way the game mix woods/city like in Toussaint... It's awesome to me. At the same time I find RDR2 not impressive at all. The environnements are very weak compared to W3, to me.
But I guess at one point it's about tech+art, and not tech only.

Anyway, I'll wait to start CP2077, a few months, I've a lot of games to finish anyway. It seems the HDDs are killing the streaming system on consoles, not only a cpu/gpu problem... I'm pretty sure cdpr réputation will take a hit on consoles. And they deserve it, you can't release this on consoles, it's a shame. If this is all you can get, then don't release it at all on last gen...

Regards,
SB

Sorry but that has to be a mistake; especially with the thing about the PC version as there is little to no difference between ultra and 2013 PS4 non pro.

If he really thinks that game is top 5 PS4 then he has not played God of War, the last of us 2, Spider-Man, horizon, The Order, RDR2, Death Stranding, Ghost of Tsushima, Final Fantasy, just to name a few.
As those games would make Witcher 3 a top 10 game, at best.
I am not trying to diss Witcher 3, just stating technical facts.
The Witcher 3 has weird character proportions, movement, as well as animations. The colors especially look very cartoony. It’s like comparing Forza Horizon 4 versus Forza 7, with Witcher 3 being Forza 7. Nobody is going to claim Forza 7 has better lighting or graphics.

Sorry but that has to be a mistake; especially with the thing about the PC version as there is little to no difference between ultra and 2013 PS4 non pro.

If he really thinks that game is top 5 PS4 then he has not played God of War, the last of us 2, Spider-Man, horizon, The Order, RDR2, Death Stranding, Ghost of Tsushima, Final Fantasy, just to name a few.
As those games would make Witcher 3 a top 10 game, at best.
I am not trying to diss Witcher 3, just stating technical facts.
The Witcher 3 has weird character proportions, movement, as well as animations. The colors especially look very cartoony. It’s like comparing Forza Horizon 4 versus Forza 7, with Witcher 3 being Forza 7. Nobody is going to claim Forza 7 has better lighting or graphics.

God of war, Horizon and death stranding are empty as hell. Look their environnement vs W3. Yeah I played them all. Everything is not about the main caracter model...

God of war, Horizon and death stranding are empty as hell. Look their environnement vs W3. Yeah I played them all. Everything is not about the main caracter model...
Not only character models and skin rendering, also lighting and animations.

the only thing W3 excels at is number of 2D environment sprites, which other games try to avoid as much as possible.

Framerate is a big reason why Witcher 3 looks better on PC, and it's hard to see it in youtube videos, and impossible in stills. The foliage has so much motion in W3, and it's really held back by lack of temporal information on consoles.

if the 3090 is running at 4K and the PS5 can be locked to 1080P then the PS5 might have even better graphics or frame rate.
Some DLSS modes will be at or below 1080p rendering resolution when played at 4k. On my computer with a 2070 Super, everything cranked I get about 4FPS in Cyberpunk2077 at 4k with DLSS off, and 35ish with ultra performance DLSS. Almost 9x the performance at that resolution. The image quality isn't identical, obviously, but it's still cleaner than 1080p upscaled to 4k. The only other games I can think of where DLSS makes a game this much more playable are Quake 2 RTX and Minecraft RTX.

Honestly, if the ray tracing is the same I wouldn't expect much better than 1080p 30fps on Series X or PS5. Although, I doubt they use the "insane" lighting option and maybe even use lower reflection quality. I wish more things were sliders on PC with quality options, instead of the on/off toggles, but honestly, I don't even know if it would make much of a difference. Turing on RT and turning off all of the RT effects still has a performance penalty, and toggling the effects on has a smaller hit than turning on RT to begin with.

Framerate is a big reason why Witcher 3 looks better on PC, and it's hard to see it in youtube videos, and impossible in stills. The foliage has so much motion in W3, and it's really held back by lack of temporal information on consoles.

Some DLSS modes will be at or below 1080p rendering resolution when played at 4k. On my computer with a 2070 Super, everything cranked I get about 4FPS in Cyberpunk2077 at 4k with DLSS off, and 35ish with ultra performance DLSS. Almost 9x the performance at that resolution. The image quality isn't identical, obviously, but it's still cleaner than 1080p upscaled to 4k. The only other games I can think of where DLSS makes a game this much more playable are Quake 2 RTX and Minecraft RTX.

Honestly, if the ray tracing is the same I wouldn't expect much better than 1080p 30fps on Series X or PS5. Although, I doubt they use the "insane" lighting option and maybe even use lower reflection quality. I wish more things were sliders on PC with quality options, instead of the on/off toggles, but honestly, I don't even know if it would make much of a difference. Turing on RT and turning off all of the RT effects still has a performance penalty, and toggling the effects on has a smaller hit than turning on RT to begin with.

I forgot about DLSS. I understand it does not scale like this but, if your 2070 S can run the game with everything at ultra around 4fps, then lowering the resolution by 4 times could produce 16fps, probably higher, correct?
I expect the PS5 to be more powerful than your 2070S, no offense to your rig just stating facts.

the 3090 might cost 4 times as much as an entire PS5, it’s actual performance is not even twice that. Without RT and DLSS; PS5 should run the exact same settings at 1440p as 3090 4K. Below 1440p you should see higher frame rates. Again, not taking into account RT or DLSS. With RT enabled PS5 would need to drop to 1080P to produce the same quality of graphics but with higher FPS.

DLSS might be the game changer though, I don’t expect the consoles to have their alternative ready when the PS5, Series X upgrade drops.

Boy that is rough.

720-900p on PS4 (What the heck is One S going to look like? lol)
972-1188p on 4Pro

Cinematic framerates on PS4. :| Mostly 30 on 4Pro until you get into the car.
I would expect CPU performance impact more the Xbox as well.
GNM is very slim API, apparently even when compared to Vulkan and DX12.
Wait a little to see if Sony has a new reconstruction technology or not. ;)
They already had some nice features on Ps4Pro which should be on Ps5, perhaps they have found some new features to add.
I would expect at least Ps5 exclusive games use id buffer and such quite bit more than they did on Ps4pro. (Due to all machines having it.)

Last edited:
I would expect CPU performance impact more the Xbox as well.
GNM is very slim API, apparently even when compared to Vulkan and DX12.

They already had some nice features on Ps4Pro which should be on Ps5, perhaps they have found some new features to add.
I would expect at least Ps5 exclusive games use id buffer and such quite bit more than they did on Ps4pro. (Due to all machines having it.)

I will be clear it seems they have a new technology into the SDK since this summer but too late to be integrated inside a title.

EDIT:
And Microsoft have an AI based technology in development too and we know AMD prepare something which will been available on PC and console.

Last edited:
Ok I have some major fps drops outside with big crowds down to 30fps or so. (RTX 3070, RTX 3900x, 1440p all ultra with dlss). I dunno if it is the big crowds or what but it continues even when going indoors. A quick save and reload bounces the fps back to around 50-60.

Maybe I should drop RT lightning ro medium. Or resolution to 1080p or crowd size to medium? Tons of options to tweak.

Last edited:
Cinematic framerates on PS4. :| Mostly 30 on 4Pro until you get into the car.

Vehicles are where the game absolutely struggles. I put maybe four hours in Cyberpunk 2077 yesterday, this is the PS4 Pro version running on PS5. I picked the Nomad start which is a massive open dessert and while I didn't have frame rate issues, because PS5/XSX are brute forcing it, the detail at distance is crazily low. There is a weird middle-distance where there is a weird fuzzy blur - where some things turn into cartoon parody version of itself, as drawn by a small child with crayons.

But perhaps my cyberware was playing up. They really could have turned all these visual problems into gameplay mechanics ;-)

I think the issue here is a 2012 average low power CPU. There are some limitations that I don't think you can optimize for.

Generally if you don't have enough CPU time to do something in realtime, you do it at half or a third realtime - think Halo 5's 30Hz animation. It looks like Cyberpunk has made far more aggressive decisions across the board for base consoles.

I put three-to-four hours in on PS5 yesterday, starting as nomad which throws you into a massive open landscape from the out. Apart from some weird middle-distance LOD issues which existed only in the desert - so perhaps a buggy heat haze effect, I've only encountered two bugs.

The first was in the desert and was a guy sitting in an invisible car, only the car wasn't just invisible is wasn't there at all because I managed to clip him with my car which the game interpreted as a hit and run, which initiates a police report. The second was a bit of UI that failed to fade away. Fortunately, the game autosaves a lot and I was able to reload from a point a couple of minutes earlier and the UI reverted back to normal.

I'm still learning the game and the mechanics, the majority of which will be familiar to anybody who has played video games before. I expected the UI and menu to be Mass Effect-level bad but it's not. It's not great either, and there it literally no explanation for a lot of stuff but if you can't work out the UI and menus, you're going to struggle with an RPG period,

Because of the technical state of the game I went in with super-low expectations and I've been pleasantly surprised. :yes: I've only done a few early missions, including the one demo'd at 2018 Gamescom where you rescue a woman from an apartment. Driving is fine (not great), gunplay is pretty good as far as I'm concerned. Putting aside the core graphics - the visual presentation of the game, such as your UI which includes various info from your cyberware implants and the way you interact with the world, feels super good and fluid.

I did the first mission (rescuing a woman) completely non lethal using stealth and hacking. Jackie wasn't too impressed, but it shows that it is down to player how to tackle missions which I'm very happy about.
BTW I play on hard to feel more immersed. Fantastic experience so far, but I play on decently powerful PC with no RT but otherwise Ultra settings. BTW, there is a big cash reward for anyone exploring at Vs apartment building ;)

Ok I have some major fps drops outside with big crowds down to 30fps or so. (RTX 3070, RTX 3900x, 1440p all ultra with dlss). I dunno if it is the big crowds or what but it continues even when going indoors. A quick save and reload bounces the fps back to around 50-60.

Maybe I should drop RT lightning ro medium. Or resolution to 1080p or crowd size to medium? Tons of options to tweak.

Hmm at first i thought maybe my cpu was not up to par but you have a 3900x and see the same drops. Im thinking this just needs more patches. If i remember correctly Witcher 3 got patches every month for like 5 months when it launched

I did the first mission (rescuing a woman) completely non lethal using stealth and hacking. Jackie wasn't too impressed, but it shows that it is down to player how to tackle missions which I'm very happy about. BTW I play on hard to feel more immersed. Fantastic experience so far, but I play on decently powerful PC with no RT but otherwise Ultra settings. BTW, there is a big cash reward for anyone exploring at Vs apartment building ;)

I spent about an hour this morning just wandering around, using the scanner, familiarising myself with the hacking and I'm really digging the work and mechanics now. Some things (mechanics, objectives, things to do) it hands you on a plate, other things are just there for you to discover yourself and to work out yourself. :yes:

And yeah, there is a bunch of money and weapons for folks who want to explore. Even then, I can't help myself by incapacitating folks with bounties. Just never ever try handing their body over to the NCPD! :nope: At some point I may begin o follow the missions but right now, I'm just acclimatising myself to Night City.

Back