Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
BC looks great, this was my main point. How will BC be because I want my games to work over multiple gens, glad it looks as good as it does. Hitman is interesting, locked 60fps 1440p, 50-60fps on XSX in 4K resolution.

Sekiro locked at 60fps! Will replay this thing as soon as I get PS5.

EDIT.
ACs drop heavily in PS5 version hmm
It's actually locked 60fps in CPU limited scenes but drops when it's GPU heavy. They think Ubisoft (or the BC team) deactivated the GPU overclock on PS5 on this game (they can do it if they think there could be BC problems).

It's actually the only game where XSX has the performance advantage (but you need the unpatched game though).

Great news for this future ps5 owner. But one problem. They didnt check nioh or nioh 2 :/ the main two games in terms i wanted to hear about since they have dynamic res, uncapped fps modes as well as both at the same time
Yeah I've been wondering that too! I'll give Nioh 2 a try in a couple weeks.

The Sekiro portion of the DF video really reinforced how disappointed I am that checker-boarding isn't a thing on the PC. Ever since I saw a technical breakdown at how it works I was hoping Nvidia or AMD would do something with it on their respective driver packages. IMO its a really great performance enhancement with a minimal hit to visual quality, especially at 60+ fps.

I thought their PR leading up to PS5 was very good, similar to R*. They could have talked a bit more about BC, because it is a nice surprise + GPU tech (which they always talked about but not for PS5).

I'm mostly talking about Sony's poor messaging on cross-generational game exclusivity (PS4 / PS5) and cross-platform game exclusivity (PS / PC). Their PS5 messaging has gotten better towards launch, but early on was less-than.

The Sekiro portion of the DF video really reinforced how disappointed I am that checker-boarding isn't a thing on the PC. Ever since I saw a technical breakdown at how it works I was hoping Nvidia or AMD would do something with it on their respective driver packages. IMO its a really great performance enhancement with a minimal hit to visual quality, especially at 60+ fps.
Checkerboarding is on PC of course - born there basically in Ubisoft games.

Just like on console, it is impossible to implement "checkerboard rendering" in an agnostic way where the game machine, or driver forces it into a game. It has to be implemented by the developer on a game by game basis, on console or PC.

Checkerboarding is on PC of course - born there basically in Ubisoft games.

Just like on console, it is impossible to implement "checkerboard rendering" in an agnostic way where the game machine, or driver forces it into a game. It has to be implemented by the developer on a game by game basis, on console or PC.

Yep they refer to it as Temporal filtering I believe.

Also curious how BC mode translates to the DualSense in terms of the haptics...
DualShock 4 vibrations will presumably be approximated on DualSense, it'll likely feel different but not necessarily better. I am sure Sony recommended using a DualShock4 for playing PS4 games on PS5 as it gives a better (more accurate/authentic?) experience.

I think DualSense is different enough for games to feel different and that's not necessarily a good different. YMMV.

And some of the titles may still be withholding the next-gen Series X|S upgrades until launch day.

And I'm sure DF will want to ensure that their tests are running on final release firmware and as much as they can, day 1 game code. It's pointless doing a bunch of testing only for a firmware and game patch to significantly change things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back