Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

It's interesting because both approaches were/are to add value, with PS3 there was BC, BR, built in wifi and HDD, various memory card slots (etc) - "it only does everything" was true. They gave people a ~850 unit for ~600. It was an amazing value proposition. MS have reversed that with XSS and concentrated on the software - next gen should be awesome.

Features only actually add value for a consumer if its a feature they are gonna use. Arguably, a lot of the features of the ps3 went unnused by most consumers.

lol I mean, MS spending more, on game pass, on studios, marketing etc. Not the console; investment in the game value.

They might have spent more, but we're not seeing that in the output of games shown so far. I wanted Microsoft to really smash it this gen and they've got the hardware (well, Series X) to do it, it's just the software is really lacking at the moment.

Fundamentally, people buy consoles because for the games and they're lacking in that regard.

Add mixed messaging and giving everyone a reason *not* to buy their high end console (cheap model, game pass for PC, requiring games on XBO, etc.)

Maybe I'm just old school and unable see their foresight, I dunno.

Edit: Sony have shown the goods. Despite what some fanboys have said, they're the ones showing the majority of "next gen" games. MS have only shown Forza and Medium from what I remember.

They might have spent more, but we're not seeing that in the output of games shown so far. I wanted Microsoft to really smash it this gen and they've got the hardware (well, Series X) to do it, it's just the software is really lacking at the moment.

Fundamentally, people buy consoles because for the games and they're lacking in that regard.

Add mixed messaging and giving everyone a reason *not* to buy their high end console (cheap model, game pass for PC, requiring games on XBO, etc.)

Maybe I'm just old school and unable see their foresight, I dunno.

Edit: Sony have shown the goods. Despite what some fanboys have said, they're the ones showing the majority of "next gen" games. MS have only shown Forza and Medium from what I remember.
Seems traditional. People play more than exclusives though. It ultimately shouldn't matter if games are cross gen or not, just because a title is next gen only doens't mean it makes older games bad and vice versa; doesn't make the game any less of a game. The critical components is whether you can
(a) play it the way you want to experience it
(b) afford to buy it

Fundamentally at exactly the same dollar/hr spent there are many more games to play on Xbox's side of things, some of which are definitely quality titles. You're definitely going to extract more value from a gamepass type setup.

But it's hard for me to believe than 100% of the PS4 population wouldn't look at the low barrier entry and gamepass and not view it as good value and not even consider it. That's a really homogenous population, which doesn't make sense to me considering how many left PS2 to 360 and 360 back to PS4. So much of the game library are shared between Xbox and Playstation; Easily over 90% of all titles released.

Like I said, it's not that I don't see your POV. But as someone that looks at stats, the likelihood that Playstation population are 100% homogenous in thinking the same way is unlikely.
There's a big difference between losing some population, to coming second place in sales. That's not what I'm implying. Math often shows that it's increasingly more expensive to keep a larger portion of the pie if your competitor is willing to increase spend to take more away from you. It's a diminishing returns type issues. You're unlikely to satisfy everyone equally in your population.

Day 1 enthusiasts often have problems seeing they aren't representative of the majority. The most popular games are still only played by a fraction of the user base and there are a lot of people who will consider value very seriously. MS certainly have value covered.

ASTRO's PLAYROOM (Pre-installed game. Console may need to be updated to the latest system software version. Internet connection required).

Performance and stability improvements.

Some things never change.

What I want in PS5 OS. If at 4am Sony update the OS, download it, save my save game, install the OS, reboot, re-load the game right where it was and never mention it. Just don't bother me unless you added a feature that adds free blowjobs or something. I don't to need know you made made the buttons slight less round, but also slight more pointy in the Video Capture app. Because I don't care.

Remove friction between me and fun. That's your one job.

It is a preinstalled "game" that's supposed to show off the controller haptic feedback and adaptive triggers
I definitely remember something similar for PS4 which showed off the DualShock 4 and camera. I recall it being quite whimsical and delightful.

Maybe they didn't have time to put all the pieces together before shipping? So all the parts will need assembly? With less labor they will save some money & bring in that $399 price? We already saw pics of case sides. Maybe you get to insert the RAM modules too? :rolleyes::cool:

Tommy McClain

Maybe they didn't have time to put all the pieces together before shipping? So all the parts will need assembly? With less labor they will save some money & bring in that $399 price? We already saw pics of case sides. Maybe you get to insert the RAM modules too? :rolleyes::cool:

Tommy McClain

Ikea style, Build-it-yourself PS5.

£299.

Assembly required.

Back