Sony Playstation 5 Reveal? [The Great Awaitening] [HangOver Day: 2020-03-18]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last time the invitation for PS meeting 2013 were sent only three weeks before the event.
Yes, but it has to be booked in advance. If we assume a late February event was planned, letters would have gone out beginning of February, when there wasn't really cause to cancel on account of SARS-CoV-2 and when it was already booked and preparations in progress. It's implausible the event was planned and cancelled very early due to COVID concerns.

Wasn't there "experience Playstation" event in NYC during February? Like 16th to 18th of February? I also have doubts about February meeting ever existing. Not only did Sony give no hint of it, on contrary, even during January it looked like a stretch.

People expected it because PS4 was announced in February and because Klee told us twice its in February. But if Klee knew back in December, what are the chances no one else knew it? (beside Tommy Fischer)

Wasn't there "experience Playstation" event in NYC during February? Like 16th to 18th of February? I also have doubts about February meeting ever existing. Not only did Sony give no hint of it, on contrary, even during January it looked like a stretch.

People expected it because PS4 was announced in February and because Klee told us twice its in February. But if Klee knew back in December, what are the chances no one else knew it? (beside Tommy Fischer)

This is not a good source... I think out of devs, GAF sources are horrible.

Last edited:
Any conference would have been booked months in advance, and unless Sony were super ultra cautious and cancelled due to Coronavirus long before it could be known it'd become a pandemic, they would have had their invitations go out by the first week of February when Wuhan had only just locked down and hopes were the infection could be contained.

Yes, but it has to be booked in advance. If we assume a late February event was planned, letters would have gone out beginning of February, when there wasn't really cause to cancel on account of SARS-CoV-2 and when it was already booked and preparations in progress. It's implausible the event was planned and cancelled very early due to COVID concerns.
No.

Wuhan lockdown was in Jan.23, then the whole province with 60 million people lockdown in Jan.28.

If you noticed China and Asian news you would know that it was a pandemic in China in late Jan. And the supply chain has been seriously affected.

No.

Wuhan lockdown was in Jan.23, then the whole province with 60 million people lockdown in Jan.28.

If you noticed China and Asian news you would know that it was a pandemic in China in late Jan. And the supply chain has been seriously affected.
It was never suppose to be February. There was no source talking about February. Jason, who has very good sources in industry, said he didn't hear anything about February. Only guy who said February, that is not Tommy Fisher and OsirisBlack is Klee. IMO nothing pointed towards February meeting, and since there was Playstation Experience during February, I doubt they would cancel the entire reveal duo to lockdown in Wuhan. It was too early for that back in January.

This is not a good source... I think out of devs, GAf source are horrible.
I know ;)

It was never suppose to be February. There was no source talking about February. Jason, who has very good sources in industry, said he didn't hear anything about February. Only guy who said February, that is not Tommy Fisher and OsirisBlack is Klee. IMO nothing pointed towards February meeting, and since there was Playstation Experience during February, I doubt they would cancel the entire reveal duo to lockdown in Wuhan. It was too early for that back in January.

I know ;)

But this is logic if the journalist did not receive the invitation. We have a second source saying the presentation was supposed to be in February, the guy who told reveal and probably launch will ne delayed.

So what date do you think the event was cancelled? And where was it going to based? I assume USA, same as PS4. So you think with no COVID19 in the US, and the venue already pre-booked and prepared, Sony cancelled the US event because of the virus in China? Or do you think it was cancelled because Sony fears supply will mean the product won't launch this year?

Last edited:
But this is logic if the journalist did not receive the invitation. We have a second source saying the presentation was supposed to be in February, the guy who told reveal and probably launch will ne delayed.
Sorry, that's a shit source. We need to have a bit of critical thinking here. Saying something like that, after caravan has passed, means nothing. Simply put, no good source said February. Not before February, and not after.

And yes, journalists don't have to receive invitations to get info that big PS meeting was cancelled, issue is - no one has come out with that info. Its not NDA, its not revealing specs a year in advance, its almost worthless info now if indeed it was cancelled. Therefore, occam's razor and all that, nothing pointed at PS February reveal.

Sorry, that's a shit source. We need to have a bit of critical thinking here. Saying something like that, after caravan has passed, means nothing. Simply put, no good source said February. Not before February, and not after.

And yes, journalists don't have to receive invitations to get info that big PS meeting was cancelled, issue is - no one has come out with that info. Its not NDA, its not revealing specs a year in advance, its almost worthless info now if indeed it was cancelled. Therefore, occam's razor and all that, nothing pointed at PS February reveal.

Again we will know something before end of March if he lied. He said they talk before end of march maybe to talk about a delay of PS5 launch. If they said nothing this a plain lie. The truth will not be too long to wait.

If he said okay delay of the reveal and nothing more, we could say easy to say it afterward. Here he said Sony will talk before April...

And this way insiders could continue forever untill release or when they guess something right :)

If he said something and he lied, he will be caught because he will say Sony will talk before end of march, I speak about the guy doing the tweet. This is sure the cornavirus will have an impact on the console. For example after saying they will not going to E3, they said they want to organise hundreds of little events with gamers on Sony side but depending when they wanted to do the events, it seems it will not be possible.

For the moment, the supply chain is not working at all. For example in my job, new people arriving can't have dell laptop because they are unavailable. A bit of a problem when you work as a dev.

EDIT: If PS5 is delayed until March 2021, i imagine they will do a reveal like Nintendo with the Switch(October 2016) maybe October 2020 or if they want to do a bit before September 2021.

Last edited:
I do not doubt situation in China has worsened the situation about, but this would not be good enough case to cancel US reveal back in January.

In fact Sony straight out said, back at CES, that they will talk more in "coming months". With only logo being shown, it was pretty visible they were holding out for reveal a bit longer (as alot of people speculated).

E3 will maybe be cancelled too maybe Microsoft will need to change the full reveal.

I do not doubt situation in China has worsened the situation about, but this would not be good enough case to cancel US reveal back in January.

In fact Sony straight out said, back at CES, that they will talk more in "coming months". With only logo being shown, it was pretty visible they were holding out for reveal a bit longer (as alot of people speculated).

Sony is a japanese company and they had before other country a bigger impact with coronavirus. And they were the first to cancel at PAX East and the first to follow were japanese company. This is not because they announce the cancellation the 19 february than the decision was not take a litlle bit before. Microsoft and other american company took much more time to react.

Sony is a japanese company and they had before other country a bigger impact with coronavirus. And they were the first to cancel at PAX East and the first to follow were japanese company. This is not because they announce the cancellation the 19 february than the decision was not take a litlle bit before. Microsoft and other american company took much more time to react.
Sony cancelled PAX event, but that is completely different then privately organized closed event for journalists which will serve as "bing bang" for your next gen console lifecycle.

PAX East is afterthought for them. If PS5 was to be revealed in February in NYC, it would have been revealed. Absolutely no doubt about that. If Coronavirus is to blame for "stealth" cancellation, did they think it will get better? Because events are now being cancelled left, right and center, so with this cancellation they may wait for November to have PS meeting as far as coronavirus is concerned.

But even with all of that, there is still lingering thought in my mind...How did Klee know about this with such certainty back in December, while not a single journalist in gaming industry has said a word about it (before or now, after February)?

Livestream with clap and laugh tracks baked in works for me.

Bonus points for adding GT5 crowds to the mix:

Unn0LIK.jpg

URL]

Sony cancelled PAX event, but that is completely different then privately organized closed event for journalists which will serve as "bing bang" for your next gen console lifecycle.

PAX East is afterthought for them. If PS5 was to be revealed in February in NYC, it would have been revealed. Absolutely no doubt about that. If Coronavirus is to blame for "stealth" cancellation, did they think it will get better? Because events are now being cancelled left, right and center, so with this cancellation they may wait for November to have PS meeting as far as coronavirus is concerned.

But even with all of that, there is still lingering thought in my mind...How did Klee know about this with such certainty back in December, while not a single journalist in gaming industry has said a word about it (before or now, after February)?

The february 2013 PS Meeting was revealed only when Sony sent the invitations. No One was knowing before.

The week before sending the invitation Kaz hirai told it is better to reveal after the competitor because if it not the case they can copy you.

https://www.theverge.com/2013/1/31/3938830/playstation-meeting-2013

And no one was knowing at least out of the industry.
https://www.polygon.com/2013/1/21/3...y-will-let-microsoft-make-first-next-gen-move

EDIT: This is not that no one was knowing, third party were knowing, people at Havok or Epic were part of the presentation. Journalist were not knowing.

Last edited:
The february 2013 PS Meeting was revealed only when Sony sent the invitations. No One was knowing before.

The week before sending the invitation Kaz hirai told it is better to reveal after the competitor because if it nos the case they can copy you.
We don't know if anyone knew, because apparently people not even in industry knew about 2020 meeting back in 2019.

Of course, and anyone with gram of brain would tell you that reasoning is poking fun at MS. Not only did specs leak by then, there was no change done in last 3 months before you start mass production. That is much different then "We will share more info in coming months".

We don't know if anyone knew, because apparently people not even in industry knew about 2020 meeting back in 2019.

Of course, and anyone with gram of brain would tell you that reasoning is poking fun at MS. Not only did specs leak by then, there was no change done in last 3 months before you start mass production. That is much different then "We will share more info in coming months".

Last generation the full spec leaked because someone hack Sony and MS server. This time we have much more doubt. They don't care if specs have leak before reveal for example PS5 has no RT and VRS and is 9.2 Tlops like in github and Sony Mark Cerny and Jim Ryan lied and AMD product manager guy lied in a press briefing. We all know this. ;)

This time it seems at least on Sony side final configuration did not leak. I don't say that PS5 is not 9 or 10 Tflops but probably not 36 CUs at 2 Ghz without RT and VRS(44 or 48 CUs at a slower frequency is much more credible with AMD RT and VRS). Imo XSX will be faster than PS5. After this is a guess until it is official.

EDIT: On MS side there is leak since January/February 2019 probably on internal side for the first leak.

Last edited:

If Sony were not sure that their supply chain could actually deliver a releasable product - in decent volume - they likely would not reveal that product. For publicly-traded companies, there are strict regulatory rules (US SEC, UK FSA etc) about announcements which can impact stock price where there is reasonable doubt about the announcement being truthful, which certainly includes doubts about supply chain robustness and actually being able to get stock to consumers.

Sony said this, as does Sony's PS5 splash page, but there is no indication of what the content of that future communication will be. Only that right now, they are not ready to talk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back