Sony Playstation 5 Reveal? [The Great Awaitening] [HangOver Day: 2020-03-18]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd really quite like the PS5 to be able to play music CD's. I don't know which annoys me more: the omission of CD playback on the PS4, or the omission of UHD-BR on the PS4Pro.

I'd love for them to announce that the PS5 contains some form of HBM. If that happens, I'll fellate everyone (that's over 18) on this board. Whether or not they want me to.

Probably the royalties aren't worth it. And some countries apply an "IP Tax" to players capable of reproducing Audio CDs. I can't say I miss that feature, I have a Spotify Premium account since 2009.

And, regarding UHD BR, PS5 will have it for the games but I doubt many people will use it for movies. It's a dying format, not even regular BR took off. DVD was the last optical format to truly succeed. It's all digital now.

Why though, GDDR6 or HBM, you won't notice any difference playing games.

I'm an HBM fanboy. And like any fanboy, logic doesn't enter into the equation.

There wouldn't be any appreciable difference when playing games, true, but there may be some differences depending on the setup. For example, four stacks of HBM, even if clocked relatively low, would easily reach speeds of 1TB/s.

I'm not saying it's likely or anything of the sort, just illustrating that it's possible for an HBM setup to better GDDR6.

Nice timing I guess.
https://www.khronos.org/news/press/khronos-group-releases-vulkan-ray-tracing
https://www.khronos.org/members/list#promoterMember

"Standardizing ray tracing in Vulkan is an important step towards making ray tracing available across a wide range of devices, as well as enabling developers to use this technology to its full advantage. AMD intends to provide support for all of the major features in this extension, including ray shading, ray queries, and CPU acceleration structure management. We will be working with developers to ensure great performance from our Vulkan Ray Tracing implementation; these efforts will help us to provide end users with even more visually stunning graphics on AMD Radeon™ GPUs,” said Andrej Zdravkovic, senior vice president, software development, AMD.

I'm an HBM fanboy. And like any fanboy, logic doesn't enter into the equation.

That's it. I don't have to argue with anyone why MGS2 is one of the best games ever made.

Probably the royalties aren't worth it. And some countries apply an "IP Tax" to players capable of reproducing Audio CDs. I can't say I miss that feature, I have a Spotify Premium account since 2009.

Same, to an extent. I have and use Spotify, but I have a CD collection, and plenty of it isn't available on Spotify. Hell, it's only in the last year or so that Skindred's best album, Roots Rock Riot, came to the service. Frankenstein Girls Will Seem Strangely Sexy still isn't on there. Movie soundtracks are pretty hit and miss.

I like the convenience of Spotify, but I like to buy and own my media, and not be dependent upon the whims of some twatty fat cats managing to broker a deal which can collapse at any moment. And actual artists hate the service, so I'd rather give them my money directly rather than, as I've heard a few artists describe it, stealing their work.

And, regarding UHD BR, PS5 will have it for the games but I doubt many people will use it for movies. It's a dying format, not even regular BR took off. DVD was the last optical format to truly succeed. It's all digital now.

True, but I hate that it's true. Streams are always at the mercy of internet speeds, and every service I've used seems to have done away with buffering. If I could download a full fat 4K movie to my console, I'd be happy buying all digital. But I can't, so I have to hope that no-one else in my neighbourhood is using the internet if I want to get the most out of the £20 movie file I bought.

Fuck the bigwigs! Viva la medios físicos!

I'm considering the timing of this event.

Is it a reaction to MS last drop? Possibly, but I'm sure they didn't slap this video together in 24 hours. It had to be canned and ready to go.

Where they planning to reveal on March 17, and Ms dropping some Series X info on March 16 was pure coincidence? Honestly, I suspect this is the case.

Is it a reaction to MS last drop? Possibly, but I'm sure they didn't slap this video together in 24 hours. It had to be canned and ready to go.

Where they planning to reveal on March 17, and Ms dropping some Series X info on March 16 was pure coincidence? Honestly, I suspect this is the case.

Supposedly it was a GDC talk...

Really looking forward to see what is revealed about the PS5 architecture. Not sure how much will be revealed, but at this point, I'm excited to see anything they care to divulge.

Far more interested in more information on the storage subsystem, audio, and backwards compatibility. I wouldn't be sad if all information for the GPU was missing if they went into more detail about that other stuff.

Regards,
SB

It's GDC week. I'm guessing both had conferences planned. You need to prepare demos, produce videos, etc. You can't do that in a day.

Really looking forward to see what is revealed about the PS5 architecture. Not sure how much will be revealed, but at this point, I'm excited to see anything they care to divulge.

Far more interested in more information on the storage subsystem, audio, and backwards compatibility. I wouldn't be sad if all information for the GPU was missing if they went into more detail about that other stuff.

Regards,
SB

Well then sir, you and I are on different sides of the matter. En garde!

Man one things for sure by announcing an announcement, Sony amped the hype.

I dont recall but I dont think MS pre announced any of their Series X infop drops. They just kinda dropped them, thus the hype was much less. That and Series X info has trickled out, so there's an order of magnitude less mystery around it by now anyway.

In contrast PS5 reveal stream probably going to get crashed tomorrow!
There was an interview where Phil’s team came together and said to try being bold and different from the usual. So he trusted them on it. Which is why we got the VGA drop and the other info drops with no warning. It’s just different. Phil wasn’t sure at first apparently but they are still going with it.

There was an interview where Phil’s team came together and said to try being bold and different from the usual. So he trusted them on it. Which is why we got the VGA drop and the other info drops with no warning. It’s just different. Phil wasn’t sure at first apparently but they are still going with it.

I think it's working. Rather than announce anything, they just drop it apparently out of nowhere with minimal notification to anyone not immediately involved so that details are less like to leak. Internally a lot of preparation went into each one, but from the outside looking in it comes across as more spontaneous than it actually is.

What they ended up with are these surprise moments where people are like, "WTF did MS just do?" It certainly got people talking about MS and Xbox more than I think would have happened with a traditional press conference or reveal.

Regards,
SB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back