AMD RyZen CPU Architecture for 2017

I don't get where this is from?
From AMD stating that the Naples 2p platform only has 64 PCI-E lanes per proc not 128 like the 1p, so each zepplin SOC is using 16 lanes of phy , my assumption is that xGMI will be PCI-E 3.x based in terms of encoding etc ( AMD have said they can do infinty fabric over PCI-E as well) because of distance, i guess it could be 802.3 based but then there wouldn't be any inter proc issues like neilz hinted at.

so each zepplin SOC is using 16 lanes of phy
But its 64 lanes between each Naples socket not 16.
16 per 8core unit but its still 1/2 the off-package bandwidth so I don't see how thats a bad thing?
I dunno, does Intel have stupid bandwidth sitting idle on a 1P? May be the trade-off of AMD making a 4-core unit scale up so high.

But its 64 lanes between each Naples socket not 16.
Yes and each Zepplin SOC has a possible 32 phy lanes so 128 in total. That is one of the big interesting point for Zen. On 1P very large amounts of all flash NVME attached storage is very nice, combinations of GPU's and storage is very nice etc. But you go to 2P and you loose 16x4x2 or 128 lanes out of a possible 256 lanes.

16 per 8core unit but its still 1/2 the off-package bandwidth so I don't see how thats a bad thing?
I dunno, does Intel have stupid bandwidth sitting idle on a 1P? May be the trade-off of AMD making a 4-core unit scale up so high.
You have to remember its more then just CPU->memory. that bandwdith is for all PCI-E attached devices, the ethernet controllers, encryption units, CPU and memory. Intels omni path is ~100Gb/s.

I think its just a trade off of die space, if they thought that the extra die area for ideal 2P scaling + allowing 4S was worth it they would do it. Maybe we will see it in future releases now they know where they stand in terms of performance and or it might become more feasible with PCI-E 4.

= 12.5GB/s vs 15.7GB/s for 16* PCIE3 so...
yes but omni path goes significantly further and thats for just 1 link you can have more then one. I dont know what QPI does these days.

edit: https://www.nextplatform.com/2015/05/26/intel-lets-slip-broadwell-skylake-xeon-chip-specs/
according to this UPI with 2-3 channels per proc @ 10.4 GT/s so 40-60GB/s. So about he same then but then ends up with less PCI-E lanes per proc then skylake-EP or whatever its called now.

edit2: man i cant count...lol.. Naples still has more PCIe lanes.

Last edited:
Got the CPU to a stable 3.910 GHz
cpu_3.9ovu49.png

Probably my max 24/7 setting till I get a better cooler (using the Wraith Spire). It's good but above 1.35 the Spire just can't handle the heat produced. Total power draw remains in the same range when all cores are maxed, 105-110 watts for the core and another 15-20 for the soc. Pretty impressed overall, this has been my first real experience with an AMD processor on a daily use system.

AMD Releases New Windows 10 x64 Ryzen Chipset Drivers
According to AMD, this release is primarily intended to make good on the company's promise to include the latest AMD Ryzen Balanced power plan in the chipset driver package. The new 17.10 driver is specifically designed for systems with an AMD Ryzen CPU running Windows 10 x64. This update automatically installs and activates the AMD Ryzen Balanced as a fourth power plan.
The company explained that the new AMD Ryzen Balanced power plan prevents your CPU cores from being "parked" in an idle state that could have a negative impact on gaming performance. The plan also allows your AMD Ryzen processor to more quickly raise clock speeds by reducing the timers and thresholds for P-state transitions.
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-ryzen-chipset-drivers-windows-10-x64,34254.html

How many pci-e gen3 and pci-e gen2 lanes are currently available on Ryzen/AM4 platform and how does that limit the expandability of the platform?
I thought it was 20 free gen3 lanes and up to 8 gen2 lanes but I've seen motherboards that appear to have more than that, even after accounting for things like x16 slots working at x4 or x2 speeds. Looks like there's either more lanes available or there's some serious sharing/disabling of lanes slots and ports happening on the motherboards, which is not always mentioned by the manufacturer.
Is it normal to have one x1 pci-e lane serving 4 SATA 6Gb/s ports?

There are PCIE switches that effectively add more lanes. Similar to adding a switch to a typical network. Sharing works because seldom is a system saturating the available bandwidth of all links.

id is closer to AMD at the moment because AMD and Bethesda have a large marketing agreement.

This started long before the marketing agreement. I think it has more to do with consoles being the primary target which makes them develop closer to AMD hardware strengths. AMD centric shader intrinsics, for example. Vulkan then allows them to more closely port the techniques used on console versus having to change how things are done in order to fit Dx11.

I'd argue that the marketing agreement between Bethesda and AMD is a result of how well Doom performed with Vulkan on PC. AMD saw an opportunity there. And Bethesda seeing how well Doom Vulkan turned out, saw no reason not to commit to Vulkan for their future titles.

Regards,
SB

There are PCIE switches that effectively add more lanes. Similar to adding a switch to a typical network. Sharing works because seldom is a system saturating the available bandwidth of all links.
AFAIK Kaby-lake + Z270 chipset provide 40 gen3 pci-e lanes while Ryzen + X370 chipset provide 20 lanes, which are insufficient for a x16 videocard + two x4 M.2 drives like the Samsung 960 Pro. And things get worse with APUs compared to Ryzen CPUs.

I think it has more to do with consoles being the primary target which makes them develop closer to AMD hardware strengths. AMD centric shader intrinsics, for example. Vulkan then allows them to more closely port the techniques used on console versus having to change how things are done in order to fit Dx11.
I'm not sure consoles were the reason as much as a need for lower CPU overhead. Busy areas in Fallout 4 were rough and modding doesn't help the situation. DX12 should still be an option, but Vulkan would have wider support.

It will be interesting to see the outcome as many Bethesda games are more or less DX9 with newer features tacked on. They could be rolling a whole new engine.

AFAIK Kaby-lake + Z270 chipset provide 40 gen3 pci-e lanes while Ryzen + X370 chipset provide 20 lanes, which are insufficient for a x16 videocard + two x4 M.2 drives like the Samsung 960 Pro. And things get worse with APUs compared to Ryzen CPUs.
That's still sufficient for a mainstream platform. The video card probably isn't using all that bandwidth and that would still rely on maxing the M.2 drives and GPU simultaneously. APUs may be interesting, so I wouldn't call them worse yet. There's the potential they consume zero lanes or are attached to chips with extra lanes lacking the ability to get off package. A situation could exist where an APU on AM4 has a mid range GPU and all the lanes. For more lanes there should be larger sockets.

In terms of PCI-E lanes able to be saturated concurrently:

Broadwell-E: 40 (some SKUs are locked down to 28 lanes)
Summit Ridge: 24
Kaby Lake: 20 (As far as I can tell)
Bristol Ridge: 16 (But it is an outdated and budget-orientated product, hopefully the upcoming Zen-based APU will have more)

All then use chipsets to multiplex 4 of those lanes into various storage, LAN, etc. connections but those will all share the 4 lane bandwidth.

Last edited:
It is a bit funny to see that since Carmack have leave id, id team seams closer than never to AMD ( ATI )....
Id-software has always been lobbying OpenGL, and Vulkan is the successor. AMD has traditionally had pretty bad OpenGL drivers, but Vulkan changes this completely. Vulkan design is based on Mantle, so it suits AMDs hardware very well. Consoles obviously are important in bringing AAA developers closer to AMD. Vulkan is the platform that allows Id-software to bring AMD console features to PC, such as async compute and cross lane ops. This collaboration benefits both parties.

As for Ryzen CPU, all game companies are really interested about it in general. Currently game companies are buying 8-core to 12-core Xeons. Compiling and data baking needs lots of cores. Time lost in waiting is very expensive. All Ryzen models have ECC memory support (like Xeons). 8-core (16 thread) Ryzen with comparable performance is 3x cheaper than comparable 8-core Xeon (single socket 1680v4 = $1723). Also Intel's 24-core (48 thread) Xeon model costs $8898. AMD has already announced their 32-core (64 thread) competitor (Naples). If the price is right, Naples could become a big thing. Perfect for build servers and build networks.

It goes without saying that AMD benefits a lot if game developers start using Ryzen CPUs. This would guarantee that games have been profiled on Ryzen and the biggest performance problems solved. We have seen that Ryzen needs a bit special care to beat Intel's higher clocked + higher IPC quads in games. AMD has already benefited a great deal from the consoles (AMD GPU). Getting Ryzen CPUs to development workstations would be an even bigger deal for them. No wonder they are starting collaborations with the biggest names in the industry.

Last edited:
All Ryzen models have ECC memory support (like Xeons). 8-core (16 thread) Ryzen with comparable performance is 3x cheaper than comparable 8-core Xeon (single socket 1680v4 = $1723). Also Intel's 24-core (48 thread) Xeon model costs $8898. AMD has already announced their 32-core (64 thread) competitor (Naples). If the price is right, Naples could become a big thing. Perfect for build servers and build networks.

I'd say actually 5+ times cheaper since 1700 can be OC to same recuency and cost 330 bucks. Also taking into account cheaper boards the price for the system drops drastically.

Back