Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion Archive [2016 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
And yet the feeling of immersion mostly wins it, imho.

Oh yeah I agree it's totally worth it. But people need to be prepared for the crap image quality. It's by far the biggest negative of VR right now IMO. Probably followed by field of view.

Field of view is worse than the resolution, I think. But when I played with the oculus dev kit, I was still kind of enamored with it. The whole effect is pretty remarkable.

Doing some VR on my iPhone, for me the field of view was just fine. The resolution is the bigger one for me for sure. It's very clearly has a lot of room for improvement. But the immersion is definitely awesome. I definitely look forward to 12k, but before that, just keep cool content coming ;) (and get that PC price down ... I didn't expect that I would end up going with PS VR first, but the price combined with not being readily available in Europe has kept me from going PC VR so far - which I still intend to do).

They're all from Digital Foundry, so check the eurogamer site maybe? Otherwise, I can't really tell you much or where to go, sorry.

Assetto Corsa: PS4 vs Xbox One Gameplay Frame-Rate Test

... pretty poor performance on both consoles
X1 version kinda sucks in that sense, I hope they fix it because I don't see the point of trying to achieve 60 fps and come out short. Forza series is a bit stagnant as of late, but the programmers and artists always manage to get the most out of the hardware without a single fps hiccup in the entire game.

Another kind of game whose name is Forza, but it's not a Forza game....Forza Horizon examined in detail.

They talk about the emulation bug too, fortunately I haven't experienced it as of late, it seems to be fixed, but I haven't tried Dirt 3 yet, where the bug occurred to me too.

DF: Three Hours with the PS4 Pro
I went into the PlayStation Meeting today as a sceptic, believing that the hardware may not be up to the task of powering a 4K display. The good news is that several hours later, I emerged from the event impressed with the quality of the experience and respectful of the wizardry utilised to make this GPU punch above its weight. However, fundamentally, there's little doubt that PlayStation 4 Pro is going to be a tough sell. Traditional gaming media simply can't capture and communicate the quality of the imagery I saw today, as there's no real way to showcase HDR meaningfully. And this is actually a key component of the PlayStation 4 Pro experience. 4K is impressive and a worthy upgrade in its own right, but HDR takes it to the next level.
More in the article.

X1 version kinda sucks in that sense, I hope they fix it because I don't see the point of trying to achieve 60 fps and come out short.
Perfection or nothing eh? I hope you adopt this high standard in your personal life and career! :yep2:

Perfection or nothing eh? I hope you adopt this high standard in your personal life and career! :yep2:
i also hope you achieve your goals, as perfect or imperfect as you might be. We are not talking here about happiness, but more about personal well-being, which is one of the most difficult things to achieve in this life.

Happiness is an entirely different matter.

DF: Hands-On with the PS4 Slim

Damn that's a bigger difference in power consumption and noise than I thought. They say it's even slightly quieter than the XB1S when running digital content (no BD drive noise).

I'm actually tempted to get one now. I kind of wanted one of the new controllers anyway.

Last edited:
63W with Rocket league (instead of 130W for OG PS4), max 83W with AC Unity title screen + spinning disc.

In fact, in the tests we ran using digital content (ie no BD drive noise), it's up there with the original Xbox One and marginally quieter than the Xbox One S.

Bluray drive is as noisy as the 1200 drive though.

Slap in an SSD and get rid of HDD noise too...
yes, that's the only bane of my current laptop. It's fanless and all, but it has a classic HD. :( When it stops it is heaven, but... As for the Slim noise, I would be cautious on DF impressions because as Gllobalisateur said, whether it is the drive or not, I've seen a video from someone playing Uncharted 4 and the slim sounded like a hairdryer. It might depend on the conditions..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back