Post Xbox One Two Scorpio, what should Sony do next? *spawn* (oh, and Nintendo?)

Sony is going to launch their own vr which will only be used with the ps4.
I hope it will note end same as PS Move.

If it offers a sub par platform that is what customers will remember and they will see content come out for the much more powerful pc and eventually scorpio .
When Xbox 360 came out that didn't stoped PS2 from selling well. Because of a lot of games for PS2. Games is all.

Cancelling neo is not going to happen. They hardware is basically done and dev kits have been sent out. Devs have already started working on it. Sony is not going to take a bath on millions in investments, piss off devs, and then have to dump millions to start the whole process over again.
Ok, I understand that. But for me it just means I skip this generation. :D

How does canceling Neo make any sense?

The difference between 4.2TF and 6TF isn't a lot, and Sony have a lot of momentum. I'm not seeing it causing a big reversal in sales, it will only help MS get back on track..

Not according to the Internet. The difference between XBO and PS4 is 0.5 TF and is somehow the stuff of Galaxy Killers (amaze balls). Now the difference between XBScorpio and PSNeo is 1.8TF, an entire PS4, and now its magically not a lot. Maybe its because it's Sony that is on the wrong side of the comparison.

I'm not disagreeing with what your logic is, that it's the proportions are the same, but if its Galaxy Killer Amaze Balls now, it'll still be that later.

Support and target are different things. Games are generally not targeting high-end system specification. :nope:

Yes, on PC the target varies depending on developer. For instance, Blizzard still targets Dx9 systems, but throws in extras for Dx11 users. On the flip side Avalanche targeted Dx11 systems on PC with their last game. Digital Extremes (Warframe) has moved their lowest supported system to Dx10 (Dx9 no longer supported) but their target is Dx11.

Most developers will target Dx9 or Dx11 and almost no one is going to target Dx12 but they may offer Dx11 (in case of Dx9 target) or Dx12 features (experimentation). Hence why many "Dx12" games are handicapped by a rendering path that is optimized for Dx11 rather than Dx12.

Digital Extreme's (as well as developers like CCP Games - Eve Online, Square Enix - FFXIV) are interesting to look at in terms of a changing platform. Since they know their games are going to be heavily used over the course of multiple hardware changes, they are constantly upgrading their engines. Eve Online started with Dx8 and now uses up to Dx11. Warframe started at Dx9 and now only supports Dx10/11. Square Enix started out limited to Dx9 but has moved to Dx11 on the PC (with some very nice results) which they are looking at attempting to port to Consoles.

Looking at Single Player games. CD Projekt Red (Witcher series) in the past have updated the engine for their Witcher games (The Witcher and The Witcher 2) by targeting a newer version of DirectX (enhanced editions) which required some non-negligible work for free. It remains to be seen if they do it for The Witcher 3, but don't be surprised if the Witcher 3 gets a significant engine upgrade when either Neo or more likely Scorpio (so both consoles can be supported) comes out.

CD Projekt Red is the poster of child of a developer that is able and willing to upgrade the engine for their single player game with hardware upgrades that come out before their next game is ready.

But it certainly isn't rare for games to get graphics upgrades due to the changing hardware landscape on PC. And I don't see a reason why that couldn't or wouldn't happen on consoles as well.

The Witcher and The Witcher 2 despite offering the engine upgrade as free to existing owners of the game still gained a significant number of new sales when their released the enhanced upgrades. Unfortunately, I don't think the majority of console developers or publishers will follow that model. Instead it's likely they'll go the Metro, Uncharted, Tomb Raider, Last of Us, GTA V, Darks Souls 2, etc. route of charging users again for an updated version even if they already own the game. But we can always hope that isn't the case and they'll go with how CD Projekt Red does it.

Regards,
SB

I recall the same argument being made for why games should target 720p over 1080p - because 720p TVs were the majority.
Whole last generation was 720p and what? hardware sold well, games too, everyone happy. And what will be two years after Scorpio release? 5K TV, new console, then 8K TV next console. All this race is useless, it's not different from PC then. You just upgrade all the time, instead of getting piece of hardware for 5-6 years, like it always was and always worked.

Also, Neo was never meant to be this fall according to AMD statements on 3 new contract design wins. The first was to be released in the fall. Everyone assumed it was Neo, but it's not. Its the Xbox One S. The other design win is Xbox Scorpio (fall 2017 release). The third and final win is PS4 Neo.

I believe that is likely set for Spring 2017, after they have launched their PSVR eccosystem.

Also, Neo was never meant to be this fall according to AMD statements on 3 new contract design wins. The first was to be released in the fall. Everyone assumed it was Neo, but it's not. Its the Xbox One S. The other design win is Xbox Scorpio (fall 2017 release). The third and final win is PS4 Neo.

I believe that is likely set for Spring 2017, after they have launched their PSVR eccosystem.

Well, what we do know is that Sony has to put a fairly significant amount of time between the launch of the PSVR and NEO in order to not undercut their message that PSVR works just fine on the PS4, because that makes the PSVR a far more expensive proposition.

As someone who has started stashing extra cash to maybe pay for a new system/ vr solution I will have an interesting choice. Wait for the Scorpio and get the Rift and thus have a base PS4 with access to all those games and the Xbox/ Win10 ecosystem vs. trade in the PS4 for a Neo and buy the PSVR. That is a decision plenty of people, mostly early adopters I admit, will be making.

Wouldn't wider with lower clocks be better? Consoles tend to come in a little below top end GPU speeds, presumably for yield and power reasons. Zen's likely to draw more power than Jag on 14 nm, so that's another reason to be careful about power.

50% more CUs at slightly lower clocks seems like a better option than the same number of CUs at 50% higher clocks. At least from a flops/watt POV.

1.5 x the CUs of Neo, at 850 mHz should give you the 4.14 to 5.8 thing, supposing for just a moment that those were the final figures. 6 TF would be about 880.

I was hoping to see esram or HBM2 in X12, as always thought HBM2 might be too pricey. Sad to see that the esram is probably still not there even in its absence. 320 GB/s for a next gen system is kinda 'meh'.

Might get 64 ROPs though ....
Haven't you paid attention about the whole esram predicament this gen?

Esram was a failure on pretty much all accounts. Unified 320GB/s bandwidth is comparatively heaven on earth on pretty much all accounts.

As someone who has started stashing extra cash to maybe pay for a new system/ vr solution I will have an interesting choice. Wait for the Scorpio and get the Rift and thus have a base PS4 with access to all those games and the Xbox/ Win10 ecosystem vs. trade in the PS4 for a Neo and buy the PSVR. That is a decision plenty of people, mostly early adopters I admit, will be making.

I don't know a whole lot about VR but I think it would be smartest to pair it with the more powerful system. Sounds like every bit of power will count.

I don't know a whole lot about VR but I think it would be smartest to pair it with the more powerful system. Sounds like every bit of power will count.

I am reserving judgement on any of the VR equipment or games until I can demo them.

I was hoping to see esram or HBM2 in X12, as always thought HBM2 might be too pricey. Sad to see that the esram is probably still not there even in its absence. 320 GB/s for a next gen system is kinda 'meh'.

Is it possible to design an SOC with CPU and GPU access to esram? Might be able a way to get BC on Scorpio and have the esram be useful for future titles.

Not according to the Internet. The difference between XBO and PS4 is 0.5 TF and is somehow the stuff of Galaxy Killers (amaze balls). Now the difference between XBScorpio and PSNeo is 1.8TF, an entire PS4, and now its magically not a lot. Maybe its because it's Sony that is on the wrong side of the comparison.

I'm not disagreeing with what your logic is, that it's the proportions are the same, but if its Galaxy Killer Amaze Balls now, it'll still be that later.

It's about 50% (obviously) so, it's about the same as PS4 is over XBO. I'd argue that (sadly?) that's proven to be a lot and a big deal. Oh and top of that Scorpio has 50% more memory, where XBO and PS4 are equal in that area.

I talk about power being so key but sometimes it's scary how much. Like, I think even a 10% difference is REALLY huge as a purchasing factor. It kinda shouldn't be that way, but in reality it is. If you have a 6.6TF system and a 6.0 TF system, the 6.6 one is gonna have a big edge all equal.

Yes, and the opposite is equally true, anyone who previously exaggerated saying they can't see any difference between XB1 and PS4 can't act as if it's a huge deal now. It's always been sour grapes everywhere.

It's not stupid to think xTF should look much better than yTF when comparing specs at launch, but now we have a lot of side by side comparisons from eurogamer etc... It's no longer a valid and informed opinion to claim it's a huge difference. We can see with our own eyes with the same games, 40% more TF is better visually, but not a lot. Not enough to make it the absolute number one concern.

Imagine if XB1 had launched for $100 less than PS4, and didn't do any of the Mattrick launch blunders, I think they would have been very close in sales. The same should happen with Xbox Scrotum versus PS4 Noes.

Another problem for Sony is Neo is positioned differently. Supposedly Neo games MUST run on PS4. MS has already said "it's up to devs" if they want to make Scorpio only games. Which means basically, the floodgates are vaporized.

Even if Sony inevitably loosens up on this, it doesn't solve the big problem of being 50% behind.

Sony isn't really in a good place with all this. At this point they'd be best scrapping Neo and going PS5 (whether they call it that or not). But, I do not think they will. Probably time for dumb Sony to make a reappearance...

Further, I think the way Ms designed Scorpio means it will be almost impossible to outpower for a while. In that they are already using the largest upcoming chip AMD has available, in contrast to Neo which according to DF is using Polaris 10, the mid range chip.. The only possible things that could outdo it anytime soon are using the same Vega chip with higher clock speeds upped and less redundant CU's, both of which Ms could easily match VERY late in the game (We're talking like, a couple of months before release). Which actually shouldn't matter anyway, as long as Neo is coming out first MS has the last word.

Back