Nintendo announce: Nintendo NX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wuu failed pretty much immediately after the initial sales spike at launch. First year sales was way below Nintendo's projections and it's only gone down further each year since then.

Wuu failed pretty much immediately after the initial sales spike at launch. First year sales was way below Nintendo's projections and it's only gone down further each year since then.

You base this on what industry experience/expertise exactly?

Anyone can make statements with random bullshit unfounded claims in them.

You base this on what industry experience/expertise exactly?

Anyone can make statements with random bullshit unfounded claims in them.

The thing is nintendo should follow the market leader, and make system less heterogeneous as least for the desktop part of nx system.
I remember there is GDC session about the "Tame jaguar" . I guess the developer already try to push envelop as to the Jaguar capabilities. the code developed and optimised on the x86 would not run great on nintendo nx desktop automatically. where the half assed pc port come from? Given nintendo market status , how much effort third parties developers would put into it.
And consumer always want premium product, pick up a nx copy among sony and microsoft multiplet would be hard. except like before nintendo give up third parties again.

New interview with Nintendo's CEO Kimishima translated by someone at GAF:

-What are your thoughts on your next-generation console, NX?
It's something very new. The hardware, the software lineup, all of it is something I'd like to play for the first time myself.

-By releasing in March 2017, you're missing end-of-year sales. Isn't that a bit late?
It's for the purposes of our game development schedule. When people finish the launch titles, they'll want things to buy in spring, on summer break, at Christmas. As such, it's not simply a question of when the hardware's ready; rather, we need to ensure our software lineup is also in a good place.

-Is that in response to criticisms that the Wii U stalled out due to lack of games?
That was indeed a learning experience for us. However, it's also true that we were struggling with the exchange rate at the time as well.

-Given the NX will be released next March, won't that cause people to stop buying consoles this year?
Our business is a lively one. Of course, if you compare the Wii U to the Wii, you understand that situation. When the NX is released, the Wii U business will slow. But the 3DS has Pokemon coming this autumn, and that's such a big hit that I can't imagine the NX will have a negative impact on the 3DS.

-It seems more to me that the NX will have an effect on the Wii U due to the fact that both will be consoles.
I suppose it can be seen that way. However, the NX is neither the successor to the Wii U nor to the 3DS. It's a new way of playing games, which I think will have a larger impact than the Wii U, but I don't feel it's a pure replacement for the Wii U.

-The forecast for the fiscal year ending March 2017 remains unchanged from last year. However, projected Wii U sales are 240,000 units behind. Do you feel the NX will sell enough to make up that difference?
The NX is still an uncertain quantity, so any numbers are tentative. However, it's true it will be difficult unless we foster a strong interest in the NX in our customers. In addition, I have high hopes for the sales of our smartphone apps.

-I am curious about the price. Nintendo has a history of value-focused consoles.
It's true there is a certain expectation for the prices of Nintendo consoles. Our developers put a lot into them, but we can not sell at a loss. The final price is determined by balancing these two conflicting ideas. I don't believe it's as simple as "because this is a new platform, we can make it more expensive."

TLDR:
1 - Late release is for more games available during launch window
2 - Despite what he says about being "a new way to play games", the NX is definitely a Wii U replacement (he admitted the Wii U's sales will slow down but the 3DS' probably won't).
3 - Won't be much (if at all) more expensive than the Wii U and won't be sold at a loss either. A launch price of $350 is probably the highest they'll go with.

Taking away ~$100 for the rumored equivalent of a Wii U tablet controller but with a low-end SoC (not that it'll make much of a difference because SoCs on that range cost close to $10), we can try guessing what Nintendo could make with $250 worth of hardware.

It's NVIDIA Shield, GameStream, Remote Streaming and maybe GRID

"The Wall Street Journal reports that development kits have already gone out to developers making games for the new system, and according to The Verge, which picked up the story, the new console will feature a home unit, but with a "mobile unit" that can either be used with the console or taken away and used separately."

gamestream_pc-600x332.jpg

streaming_metrowtmk-820x420.jpg

It's NVIDIA Shield, GameStream, Remote Streaming and maybe GRID
I don't see where your conclusion here is supported by your quoted text. ...Which added nothing new btw, Nintendo said like what, two years ago or something, that their next console would be a stationary unit and a portable unit.

I don't see where your conclusion here is supported by your quoted text. ...Which added nothing new btw, Nintendo said like what, two years ago or something, that their next console would be a stationary unit and a portable unit.

You took the post too literally and twisted the point.

"PC" = NX home console
"Shield" = NX handheld

There will be two consoles.. stationary home console and portable.. portable will access home console games on the go via Remote Streaming. NVIDIA tech fit neatly with NX patents.

By "nvidia tech" you mean a low-latency H264 encoder on the content processing device, a H264 decoder on the content consumption device and a video+audio streaming protocol probably using UDP through a network?
Like the Wii U (AMD) had, the PS4 (AMD) has with the Vita, Vita TV, Xperia smartphones/tablets and PC, the XBone (AMD) has with windows PCs and Steam has between practically any two windows PCs?

Okay then, nvidia tech it is.

portable will access home console games on the go via Remote Streaming. NVIDIA tech fit neatly with NX patents.
Tech patents don't necessarily translate over into actual tech products though. And NX specifics are unannounced of course, so it's a bit early to nail down its capabilities because of a patent.

Anyhow, remote play back to your home console seems a fragile, low-quality solution for a mobile console. Even if you're on wifi somewhere you're going to add several tens of milliseconds of lag to your actions. It's easy to see how that could interfere with classic Nintendo gaming formulas. Not to mention if your stream gets caught up in an internet traffic jam or corrupted mid-transit... :p

Running the game locally is a much safer proposition.

Things nintendo always says with every new product about to launch:

-We will work better with third parties this time;
-We will avoid delays in key titles and long periods with no new software releases;
-This new product won't necessarily replace its predecessor, we think both can coexist in the market and be well supported simultaneously;
-We will be creating more new IPs and work on more new ideas.
-There will be plenty content for hard core gamers.
-We will have great on-line.
-And finally, just generally: This time things will be different.

No kidding, they've been saying this for more than 10 years now about every new hardware they are about to launch. Usually full of nintendoish japanese humble "we will try"s and "attempt"s. I don't know how people still take them seriously.

And things have been different for some of their consoles, including good third party support at Wii U launch, Splatoon (new IP), online works fine but is different from the norm...

Last edited:
-We will avoid delays in key titles and long periods with no new software releases;
-This new product won't necessarily replace its predecessor, we think both can coexist in the market and be well supported simultaneously;

Just one more:

- It will be a completely different way to play videogames

Which we all now translate as :
- It will have some gimmick that we think will make you look away from the terrible graphics quality / performance the games will have".

And things have been different for some of their consoles, including good third party support at Wii U launch, Splatoon (new IP), online works fine but is different from the norm...
All launches come with half a dozen lukewarm third party games and a few multi-plats (many of which are 1 or 2 years old) and then things revert back to nintendo being nintendo. And yeah, there is splatoon. Nice! One new ip! Nintendo must be sweating blood working that hard. How did I forget that one. Maybe because its almost the only one.

Things nintendo always says with every new product about to launch:

No kidding, they've been saying this for more than 10 years now about every new hardware they are about to launch. Usually full of nintendoish japanese humble "we will try"s and "attempt"s. I don't know how people still take them seriously.
You forgot the "we missed the holiday season but it is ok if not for the best", but great sum-up

Last edited:
"Working better with third parties" is not the same as parachuting expertise into third party teams (something we know both Microsoft and Sony do) nor the same as having a really good dev system with detailed documentation.

It's like a murder promising to murder less.

so Nintendo still keeps the spirit of Satoru Iwata then. Or those were the things that Iwata-san wanted to chase/change but turns out its just too bloody hard to do. Even the new boss can do nothing.

According to Digitimes, mass production of the NX has been delayed from mid 2016 to early 2017.

Nintendo's next-generation game console, the Nintendo NX is scheduled to enter mass production in early 2017, delaying about half a year from the company's original mass production plan in the mid-2016. Sources from the related upstream supply chain pointed out that the delay was because Nintendo wished to enhance the game console's video-game/handheld-game-integrated gaming experience and add virtual reality (VR) function into the system to gain advantages in the upcoming video game and mobile game competitions.

The sources pointed out that the Nintendo NX combines the video gaming experience with the mobile gaming experience. The device features a 5- to 7-inch display, controller and joystick for users to play as a mobile gaming product, but it is also able to connect to a TV for users to play as a video game system. Nintendo is now planning to add VR function to the device to satisfy the popular trend in the gaming market.

Nintendo's order volume for the game console has also been reduced. Nintendo originally planned to order 20 million units for the first year, but its shipment target is now only 9.5-10 million units. The sources believe the reduction was due to the fact that video game console market has been shrinking and concerns triggered by its Wii U's unsatisfactory shipment performance of two million units in 2015.

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20160530PD201.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back