Star Wars Battlefront

Spawn locations are indeed terribly wrong in the Hoth level.
At a certain point, the rebels will only spawn from inside the hangar, which is at the same time when 2 of the hangar entrances can be attacked by the AT-AT. This means that rebels can only leave through one single and very narrow entrance, so they just die like lemmings towards a cliff, specially because all A/X-Wing powerups can only be caught outside.

The game is indeed terribly unbalanced. The Empire has two "invincible" AT-ATs that can call airstrikes every 45 seconds, two AT-STs that can grind troops under cover because its laser blasters have splash damage and a mortar attack. The Rebels have no ground vehicles and their ground turrets (which the Empire can also use..) are very fragile and overheat way too fast.
Air vehicles are a bit more balanced, except for the Rebels' Airspeeders which have terrible maneuvering (limited pitch, slow yaw) so they become useless as soon as TIE Fighters/Interceptors are in the terrain.
The heroes are both useless in an open space because they have no decent ranged attack so they're killed within seconds - and most of the Hoth level happens in open space.

Yeah, the game has many flaws and the arcade-ish part of it (random terrain power-ups, teleporting to vehicles, non-selectable spawning points, etc.) is what hurts the experience the most.

But at the same time, it's by far the best Star Wars experience there is.

The Rebels have air superiority on Hoth while the Empire has ground superiority. The X-Wing and A-Wing are hands down significantly better than the Tie Fighter/Interceptor. Assuming your pilots are at least equal skill to the Empire pilots. Once you have air dominance the AT-STs are worthless.

Basically the Rebels are screwed if bad pilots get the X/A-wing power ups.

The snow speeders as far as I'm aware, are only really useful against the AT-ATs. Which means you must establish air superiority. Which means don't let bad pilots get your X/A-wing powerups. Which is hard to do in random pub games. :p

Basically on Hoth, the Empire can kind of stumble onto victory without meaning to. The Rebels actually require a bit of teamwork.

In many ways that reflects the lore in the games. The Rebels have to make the most of superior hardware (not counting Super Destroyers. :p ) but inferior numbers requiring more tactics (teamplay) and judicious use of resources. The Empire just brute forces their way with superior numbers.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Well, i dont know if it is really a good idea to watch balance on the map during the beta. max level is 5, i dont think all ameliorations weapons was available at this moment ( i could be wrong ).. later the difference could be quite big.

personally i will be for something more challenging.. ofc if this dont mean the team who loose see half of his guys leaving the party in the middle of the fight ( was happend quite offtly on the Drop Pod map )

The Rebels have air superiority on Hoth while the Empire has ground superiority.

You do know DICE themselves have admitted that the Hoth level is very unbalanced in favor to the Empire, right?

As for the air superiority part, I disagree.
Both the TIE Fighters and the TIE Interceptors can almost circle around the X-Wing at lower speeds, and the boost special doesn't seem to hinder maneuverability at all. Plus, the Interceptor's homing missile can almost kill the X-Wing with one shot. The A-Wing does seem like a better fighter, but its firepower seems to be similar to the TIE Fighter's and lower than the Interceptor's.

The best thing with the X-Wing is its firepower for attacking ground targets, but you'll need to get rid of the Empire's fighters first, which is not easy at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems like a big missed opportunity, such a pretty environment & great models but stupid fast gameplay so you don't actually get to pay it any attention.

It seems like a big missed opportunity, such a pretty environment & great models but stupid fast gameplay so you don't actually get to pay it any attention.

Yeah, the gameplay is not as deep as I would have liked. It is an arcade shooter.

I still do not regret buying because I paid 60 euros for everything (DLCs included). Technology and performance are spectacular. Shading and explosion effects are among the best. I really like the TAA. No more aliasing and shimmering. The post processing effects have a Crysis 3/ Ryse level of quality in highest settings (ultra). Below that it is visible worse.

A new free patch will be released in January.

It will include:
  • New map: Tatooine.
  • New clothes for Luke and Leia based on the movies.
  • Daily Challenges.
  • Private Matches.
  • Special Community Events
Some nice screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/ZIX0B

Aaand the game is pretty much dying for the PC. For consoles the picture isn't great either:

Those are absolutely horrible numbers but since EA sold game like mad, I'm not sure if it's good or bad thing from their perspective. They conned the sales and now they don't even have to run massive amounts of expensive servers. Heck, it's not even their IP. I remember in old MMO days (Ultima Online, Asheron's Call, Everquest) when 1 in 4 players would be online on patch days and 1 in 10 (at least) all times. Now that daily peak for this game is something like 1 in 100 (10+ million units sold).

Back