Need for Speed (2015)

I'm confused as to why this matters? My PC is always online anyway. I agree it's a pita when you lose your internet connection or their servers go down and you're unable to play, but I'd rather deal with those pretty rare instances than see an awesome game get pirated to the point that the publishers choose to skip the sequel on that platform.

Because knowing EA they'll pull the plug on the servers after 2 years and tell you to buy the next installment.

Anyway tuner crap so don't need this. EA can come back when they make a real NFS. The first 5 games were awesome.

I'm confused as to why this matters? My PC is always online anyway.

Maybe we should be asking another question: why is online mandatory in a $60 game for its single player mode?

As for why it shouldn't have mandatory online, a little history over the very troubled launches of high-profile games in the same situation (SimCity, Diablo 3, StarCraft 2) should be pretty much self-explanatory.
Not to mention the inevitable pulling the plug from authentication servers to force people to buy the next game.

Piracy on PC is the main reason I'd assume, seeing how Denuvo was pretty much cracked in less than a year. I don't think console version will be always online, they only pull that crap on PC.

Why is no-one talking about this amazing looking game? For me it's a wash between this, Battlefront and Ghost Recon for best graphics of the show (with honourable mentions for Doom and Uncharted 4):

Probably because its NFS (series has long past peeked in popularity), and once the game get to the actual gameplay areas the graphics aren't as impressive. Not hating on the game at all, still looks good (I am hard to impress these days by graphics) but it looks more of the same open world NFS we have seen in the past with new graphics and I don't know if thats enough to impress a lot of people these days. They haven't shown an evolution in the gameplay department to warrant everyone going nuts just yet.

Also, always online... so it better be damn good to warrant that.

Nocturnal only racing could get boring pretty fast if there's no other TOD or varied environment, the lack of a cockpit view also kills the experience somehow and I'm not even getting into the always online BS. If this is a $20 title then it might be worth my money, besides the graphics don't look like something unattainable in DC either.

Plus, developers can hide a certain amount of graphic discrepancies and IQ imperfections with night scenes, much more than daylight scenes.

If it were carbon copy of NFSU:2 with updated graphics I'd be a happy camper. All the boy racer culture bullshit was pretty embarrassing but the game itself was solid.

I am in the beta, check your emails (19gb file size).

Presentation is really PP heavy (film grain and CA especially) and really soft looking overall. Framerate is solid though. Lighting is really impressive too, many light sources. They are also using tessellation (adaptive?) for cars, especially shows when you change rims in the garage. Always online already messing up with my gameplay, can't pause and when you upgrade your car you have to wait for the server to sync...

Last edited:
Running a long race => being first place => CONNECTION LOST => goes back to menu.

I don't know how anyone can defend this, it's a deal breaker for me.

It's only really noticeable when you're changing rims in the garage

Played some hours of the beta, i am digging it. Game feels like a combination of Underground (types of events, night racing, heavy customization), Most Wanted (story is very much like it, cops chasing you around) and Carbon (the map design and drifting mechanics). My only real issue with the game is the always online gimmick and that my experience with the game heavily depends on how stable the EA servers are. Game runs smooth on Ps4 and is for the most part a looker as well (only real downside graphically being the skyline/cloudscape, very static and 2d-like, and maybe the smooth presentation + heavy PP if you don't like that, personally i think it looks fine for NFS).

Is the game 1080p on PS4?

I can't really say, IQ is too soft but maybe it's the AA + PP, i can't take pictures either.

Edit: Okay i think i finished with the beta (reached the max level or rep, the beta is capped at 20). I enjoyed it, this is the car i beat the beta with (off-screen):
imag0707ptk5r.jpg

On a second thought, i think this is 1080p, but it looks a lot like Batman Arkham Knight due to all the PP effects added on top, i think that's the best comparison visually, both take place during night, always raining, heavy motion blur/CA/film grain use.

Last edited:
Back