Sony VR Headset/Project Morpheus/PlayStation VR

Hmmm... Kinect can't do this with any kind of precision from the couch. The camera is too wide-angle and it can't do the selective light method. But this is completely off topic.

SCE also have recent patents indicating they are working on far-field eye tracking. They seem to be experimenting with three different methods: selective, dynamic position, and visible lights. But none of these are really applicable to VR, they are far-field which arguably is the most difficult.

Gaze tracking variations using selective illumination
http://www.freshpatents.com/-dt20150326ptan20150085097.php

Gaze tracking variations using dynamic lighting position
http://www.freshpatents.com/-dt20150326ptan20150085250.php

Gaze tracking variations using visible lights or dots
http://www.freshpatents.com/-dt20150326ptan20150085251.php

OTOH, with VR they can use many many shortcuts, and very low-cost addition, possibly even using the light from the screen as illumination.

I only brought up the kinect because i've used the first gen one to do it on the pc. So your right it might not work from the couch , my computer chair is only about a foot or two from the kinect on my pc.

SCE developped an omni-directional HDR camera to film VR movies.

http://www.freshpatents.com/-dt20150430ptan20150116453.php
2015011645320150116453-00000004.gif

I want camera that can film not only 360 videos in 3D, but also videos that allow slight transitional head movement.
There's a company (I forgot the name) that is doing something like that, they have a software that takes an array of viewpoints and can playback the scene in VR with a clever interpolation of the camera streams. But I think it cannot be done with live cams, what I heard about was only full-CG streams. Trying to do this physically with cameras would place them in front of each other. If it needs multiple 360 viewpoints, it's an obstruction nightmare. Maybe just a big ball of 180 cameras could work?

I don't think Sony would be interested, but Facebook has spoken to Sony about bringing Occulus Rift to consoles.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/ocul...and-microsoft-about-rift-for-consoles/0149158

I could only get a glimpse and move around in a very twitchy manner, but the experience was great. My laptop didn't like it as much as I did though, because I throttle the CPU most of the time and it literally crawled -like when I play a native 4k youtube video on it-.

But it was very nice overall.

Last edited:
I could see oculus coming to the xbox one. That saves Ms development time and oculus has been approaching a lot of content creators for custom experiances.

I certainly think its in sonys best interest to lock the ps4 down to Morpheus. Split focus wont help them

I could see oculus coming to the xbox one. That saves Ms development time and oculus has been approaching a lot of content creators for custom experiances.

I certainly think its in sonys best interest to lock the ps4 down to Morpheus. Split focus wont help them

Whose focus is being split (in the hypothetical scenario of Rift + Morpheus on the PS4)?

It depends, if the APIs are similar and the capabilities are comparable I would say it's in Sony's interest to support Oculus. But it seems like some of the clever 120Hz hardware is in Morpheus and Oculus doesn't seem to include this so Oculus may not offer as good an experience as Morpheus - were both connected to the PS4.

We're not sure exactly what the final version of Morpheus external processor will be doing, at least it has an audio processor and manages the geometry correction. Supporting two VR HMD is more of a driver and GPU support on PC, and fiddling until it works is the PC master race prerogative. But on consoles, each game would have to support different controller, different audio subsystem, different frame rates and resolutions as Occulus is 1440p/90 while Sony is 1080p/120, it's would be a mess for the developers. This is not going to happen just for the nightmare game testing.

Next week will be interesting , oculus will release their specs . They already announced a q1 date which is similar to Morpheus and they have been seeding the press with news that the rift can work on the xbox and playstation.

So it wont be long.

Mr Fox remember that the newest prototype of the rift is crescent bay and its dual screen. We don't know the resolution but it will be more than a screen size cut in half. Since we are talking about q1 I think 1080p per screen is a lock but 1440p per screen could be possible. I would think the rift would need to be upscaled and I don't know if it has hardware to self upscale an image.

Next week will be interesting , oculus will release their specs . They already announced a q1 date which is similar to Morpheus and they have been seeding the press with news that the rift can work on the xbox and playstation.

So it wont be long.

Mr Fox remember that the newest prototype of the rift is crescent bay and its dual screen. We don't know the resolution but it will be more than a screen size cut in half. Since we are talking about q1 I think 1080p per screen is a lock but 1440p per screen could be possible. I would think the rift would need to be upscaled and I don't know if it has hardware to self upscale an image.
1080x1200 per eye.

It looks like they are aiming for cost reduction.

All 3 competitors are at the edge of 297MHz HDMI. About the same pixel per seconds all around. Morpheus have a bit lower res, but a proportional higher refresh. Quite a nice competition with each it's small advantage over the others, but Morpheus is the one looking good as a polished product.

Quote from Shu that they experimented with a VR version of driveclub and it was uncomfortable. I though in cockpit experiences were something that should work well in VR? Movement too fast perhaps.

Could be frame rate issues?
Or a too long pipeline, which causes reprojection problems?

Could be frame rate issues?

VR is supposed to be uncomfortable at less than 90fps so with Driveclub running at only 30fps it's not suprising it was uncomfortable. I know Morpheus can do some kind of frame interpolation to display 60fps at 120hz but I can't see that helping much with a 30fps game.

Back