NVIDIA Maxwell Speculation Thread

To anyone who's now dissapointed to be owning a 970 because of this and is considering swapping it out for a better GPU - I'll buy it off you for half price! :D
Why don't you want to buy it at full price? Or a normal used price? Because there is something wrong with it?
Stop trying to get a steal because Nvidia lied to consumers.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6159/the-geforce-gtx-660-ti-review/2

Is that relevant to this, in that nVidia had this option but chose otherwise? I feel like I should stay out of this conversation, it's way (way) over my head, but I'm curious as to why the the story of the 660-Ti gets no mention. Does it have no bearing?
Not really. It is sorta similar but Maxwell has a very different architecture that allows more fine-grained disabling of units. As to no-one complaining about the 660Ti memory subsystem is because Nvidia actually disclosed it to consumers, through the tech press.
So just thought of this. If the marketing team assumed about GM204's memory sub-system, why didn't the assume the same about the GK104 in the 660Ti?

First time I knew 660Ti had asymmetrical memory arrangement, never noticed it though, and my VRAM usage is always above 2.7GB, it reaches 3GB quite often too.

Could that be because my card is 3GB instead of 2? thus it's memory is arranged symmetrically?

First time I knew 660Ti had asymmetrical memory arrangement, never noticed it though, and my VRAM usage is always above 2.7GB, it reaches 3GB quite often too.

Could that be because my card is 3GB instead of 2? thus it's memory is arranged symmetrically?
Yes. a 3GB 660 Ti would have a symmetrical memory arrangement.

Why don't you want to buy it at full price? Or a normal used price? Because there is something wrong with it?
Stop trying to get a steal because Nvidia lied to consumers.

It was actually a mild dig at those people who would actually swap out what is still one of the best GPU's out there for the money based on what is effectively a technicality. I'm more than happy to benefit from that action. As for buying it at full price, yeah I'd do that too if I was looking to upgrade right now.

It was actually a mild dig at those people who would actually swap out what is still one of the best GPU's out there for the money based on what is effectively a technicality. I'm more than happy to benefit from that action. As for buying it at full price, yeah I'd do that too if I was looking to upgrade right now.

http://techreport.com/news/27755/deal-of-the-week-a-radeon-r9-290x-for-233
AMD is aiming for share right now and discounting R9 290X.

You can now refund 970, buy a R9 290X and maybe an SSD on top or pocket the difference? AIBs could take a huge loss with this and things could get ugly for nvidia.

http://techreport.com/news/27755/deal-of-the-week-a-radeon-r9-290x-for-233
AMD is aiming for share right now and discounting R9 290X.

You can now refund 970, buy a R9 290X and maybe an SSD on top or pocket the difference? AIBs could take a huge loss with this and things could get ugly for nvidia.

I'd love to see some hard numbers, but I'm very skeptical that the whole 970 "scandal" will amount to anything more than a very minor financial blow for a few AIBs, and maybe NVIDIA.

The long-term damage to NVIDIA's brand might be more significant, but they've recovered from much worse.

Not all that long ago, this was a fun thread to watch... news about Nvidia.Maxwell !
Now, not so much. Apart from gamesplayers on a budget, and accountants, does anyone really care about salvage parts? What happened to all that juicy speculation about GM100/210?

Hyperbole.

Post the direct links for returning a 970 for a full refund in the US and Canada, EU and Asia.

I have only seen one news site showing one country in the EU that was allowing a few to be returned.

googled nvidia 970 refund and got this https://forums.geforce.com/default/...up-even-if-you-ve-been-told-no-/post/4443972/
I didn't read it all but on the beginning there's a chat that's supposed to be between a retailer and nvidia where nvidia says " If Direct Customer has an irate customer that wants to return the board, let the customer return it".

What I find baffling is that we are here worrying that nvidia will stop providing technical specs if this escalates, but the answer isn't less information, it's more. Customers would still be upset with this issue if nvidia uphold memory specifications at launch. This could be prevented only if they were more open about it, not less.

I said my opinion before, we don't need to pander nvidia. If they don't want to share, then they won't. But should we care, then? No. They need to convince us to buy their products and in this day and age upholding specifications will backfire.

Thats called marketing.... We are going extremely deep in technical question, when all this story can be resume by a simple term " marketing"

Hyperbole.

Post the direct links for returning a 970 for a full refund in the US and Canada, EU and Asia.

I have only seen one news site showing one country in the EU that was allowing a few to be returned.
All EU countries allow it, false advertising is enough. EVGA is the only one that officially announced that they allow it (in Sweden), but it's not really up to the manufacturer
In Finland Jimm's allows returns on all GTX 970's due this, some shops are being somewhat hesitant on it, but if they refuse returns, they get a call from .. er, not really sure what's the word in english, but some organization that looks after customer rights anyway

All EU countries allow it, false advertising is enough. EVGA is the only one that officially announced that they allow it (in Sweden), but it's not really up to the manufacturer

In Finland Jimm's allows returns on all GTX 970's due this, some shops are being somewhat hesitant on it, but if they refuse returns, they get a call from .. er, not really sure what's the word in english, but some organization that looks after customer rights anyway

So the US, Canada and Asia are not accepting returns only the EU and at that it is a few countries and even they are hesitant because they really don't know if the memory segmentation issue even applies as false advertising.

As I previously stated to firstminion's statement "You can now refund 970, buy a R9 290X and maybe an SSD on top or pocket the difference? AIBs could take a huge loss with this and things could get ugly for nvidia." is Hyperbole.

KFA2, Inno3D, EVGA, Palit and MSI so far are accepting returns at least from OcUK:
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=27557332&postcount=5028

I now have a final update on all brands:

YES BRANDS! (Supporting OcUK)

OcUK Brand: We support these ourselves as customer is king.
KFA2 (Formerly Galax): Supporting OcUK to keep our cost minimal.
Inno3D: Supporting OcUK to keep our cost minimal.
EVGA: Supporting OcUK to keep our cost minimal and offering step up for customers contacting them directly.
Asus: No decision but their support in past has being legendary so we are confident they will have our backs.
Zotac: Looking into it but want to support but need final decision to come form big boss, looking good though!
Palit: Now supporting OcUK with our returns!
smile.gif

MSI: MSI are covering OcUK for all our returns!
smile.gif

NO BRANDS! (Refusing to support as still waiting for a decision)

- Gigabyte: Will not accept returns yet, but have not come to a final decision. As such OcUK shall still take them back and cover all the cost ourselves should Gigabyte decide not to support.

I am really hopeful the NO brands decisions next week will be to support us and I am sure they will as Gigabyte are a great company.

In short OcUK will now accept returns on all brands should you be unhappy with your purchase, the window for returning a 970 is between now and end of February.

Last edited:
So the US, Canada and Asia are not accepting returns only the EU and at that it is a few countries and even they are hesitant because they really don't know if the memory segmentation issue even applies as false advertising.

As I previously stated to firstminion's statement "You can now refund 970, buy a R9 290X and maybe an SSD on top or pocket the difference? AIBs could take a huge loss with this and things could get ugly for nvidia." is Hyperbole.

Saying that "US, Canada and Asia aren't accepting" returns isn't saying too much, too early, A1xLLcqAgt0qc2RyMz0y? From that topic some retailers are analyzing the issue and an nvidia rep on their forums offered to help talking with AIB's and retailers. So there's hope.

Saying that "US, Canada and Asia aren't accepting" returns isn't saying too much, too early, A1xLLcqAgt0qc2RyMz0y? From that topic some retailers are analyzing the issue and an nvidia rep on their forums offered to help talking with AIB's and retailers. So there's hope.
Actually the NVIDIA rep edited his post removing the help offer

Back