All purpose sales and sales rumors/anecdotes thread next gen+

Status
Not open for further replies.
what was Patcher's "revelation"?

Back before E3 and the XB1 reveal, EA's top brass and MS were thinking that the XB1 would totally own this generation and John Richfellow (or what ever his name is!) from EA was convinced that MS would eat Sony's lunch this gen. That's why they signed the deal with MS over Titanfall without Respawn's knowledge. They absolutely believed they were backing the winning horse from the beginning.

I can't image how they felt with the rolling PR disaster that followed...

Aren't they making 1.2M a month of these things?
Yeah. :shrug:

I think stores are being replenished, they're just not big shipments and they usually go pretty quick. If you look at recent stock history at nowinstock.net, you can see that it goes in and out of stock (at least in the US/UK).

Last edited by a moderator:
We have to remember that they air freighted quite a bit in the early days and it will end up with the following months receiving a bit less units to compensate for transitioning to sea freight only.

Newest UK charts look unusually strong (so far) for Xbox One. Such as we see Xbox Fifa beating PS4 one, though of course it could not propel Thief over PS4 version. Best XBO UK charts I've yet seen I think. Between one and 360 we have fair Xbox domination (8 of top 10 are Xbox titles!). If Microsoft can get One going a little they will be in a healthy spot. And if they can get USA+UK going, those twin pillars propelled 360 to a worldwide sales tie with PS3 (to be non controversial) last gen. I'm not sure how much the price cut factored in here cause I dont know all the dates, but it's easy to see why MS implemented it, UK certainly isn't beyond saving for Xbox.

GAF discussion centers around a PS4 hardware drought in UK this week. Which jives with what I've noticed of late, PS4 hardware seems to have really dried up everywhere, even Japan. I'm even wondering if there's a GDDR5 issue (this would be the component, if any, I'd expect to bottleneck PS4 production, due to the sheer amount required). Still, it seems kind of disappointing for software sales to depend so much on new hardware sales. Also, 75% of Thief sells on PS4/XO? Next gen is already nearly dominant!

Here is a gaffer sales nut's estimated of Thief sales (they work these out from various past numbers and percent declines and they should be pretty accurate)

According to Mpl90's estimates, Thief sold between 53.500 and 62.400 units.

01 (NE) PS4 THIEF (SQUARE ENIX EUROPE) - Between 24.600 and 28.700
02 (NE) XBO THIEF (SQUARE ENIX EUROPE) - Between 15.500 and 18.100
06 (NE) 360 THIEF (SQUARE ENIX EUROPE) - Between 7.500 and 8.700
11 (NE) PS3 THIEF (SQUARE ENIX EUROPE) - Between 4.300 and 5.000

Between 53 and 62k just in UK for Thief seems pretty nice to me. Tomb Raider DE only did what, 75K in the whole USA it's first month IIRC (yes 2 plats). So it looks like a poor game to me and critics arent kind, but somehow it maybe is selling a bit. Software drought I guess. I would guesstimate this would push Thief towards a million wordwide lifetime eventually, especially with PC.

Text

Thief Steals Crown

03/Mar/2014

Square Enix take their second All Formats No1 in 2014 as ‘Thief’ takes top spot.

Developed by Eidos Montreal it smashes the week 1 of predecessor ‘Thief: Deadly Shadows’ last seen on Xbox & PC in 2004. It also achieves the second highest sales for a No1 title in 2014 behind FIFA 14 with 75% of those sales coming for Xbox One & PS4. ‘The Lego Movie Videogame’ (-33%) drops to No2 after two weeks at the top but stays ahead of ‘FIFA 14’ (-15%) which drops to No3.

Another debutant lands at No4 this week as ‘Plants Vs Zombies: Garden Warfare’ arrives for both Xbox One & 360. It pushes ‘Call of Duty: Ghosts’(-36%) down to No5 while the third of EA’s Top 10 titles ‘Battlefield 4’ (-17%) also slides two places to No6. Konami’s ‘Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2’ is another newcomer this week creeping in at No10 and becoming the second biggest week 1 in the franchise behind the original Lords of Shadow which released in 2010. Elsewhere in the Top 40 Bandai Namco’s ‘Tales of Symphonia: Chronicles’ is new for PS3 at No13 while 3DS title ‘Senran Kagura Burst’ sneaks in for a debut at No38.

Week 8, 2014 - Individual Formats (Units)

01 (NE) PS4 THIEF (SQUARE ENIX EUROPE)
02 (NE) XBO THIEF (SQUARE ENIX EUROPE)
03 (01) 360 THE LEGO MOVIE VIDEOGAME (WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE)
04 (NE) XBO PLANTS VS ZOMBIES: GARDEN WARFARE (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
05 (NE) 360 PLANTS VS ZOMBIES: GARDEN WARFARE (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
06 (NE) 360 THIEF (SQUARE ENIX EUROPE)
07 (02) 360 MINECRAFT: XBOX 360 EDITION (MICROSOFT)
08 (05) 360 FIFA 14 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
09 (10) XBO FIFA 14 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
10 (03) PS3 THE LEGO MOVIE VIDEOGAME (WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE)
11 (NE) PS3 THIEF (SQUARE ENIX EUROPE)
12 (06) 360 CALL OF DUTY: GHOSTS (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
13 (11) PS3 FIFA 14 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
14 (NE) PS3 TALES OF SYMPHONIA: CHRONICLES (BANDAI NAMCO GAMES)
15 (NE) PS3 CASTLEVANIA: LORDS OF SHADOW 2 (KONAMI)
16 (09) 360 LEGO MARVEL SUPER HEROES (WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE)
17 (07) PS4 FIFA 14 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
18 (08) 360 GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE 2)
19 (16) 360 ASSASSIN'S CREED IV: BLACK FLAG (UBISOFT)
20 (17) PS3 GRAN TURISMO 6 SONY COMPUTER ENT.)
21 (04) WIU DONKEY KONG COUNTRY: TROPICAL FREEZE (NINTENDO)
22 (15) 360 BATTLEFIELD 4 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
23 (12) PS3 CALL OF DUTY: GHOSTS (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
24 (13) PS3 GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE 2)
25 (NE) 360 CASTLEVANIA: LORDS OF SHADOW 2 (KONAMI)
26 (14) 3DS THE LEGO MOVIE VIDEOGAME (WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE)
27 (34) XBO FORZA MOTORSPORT 5 (MICROSOFT)
28 (19) PS4 BATTLEFIELD 4 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
29 (29) XBO BATTLEFIELD 4 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
30 (21) PS4 RAYMAN LEGENDS (UBISOFT)
31 (28) PS3 BATTLEFIELD 4 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
32 (30) PS3 ASSASSIN'S CREED IV: BLACK FLAG (UBISOFT)
33 (39) PC FOOTBALL MANAGER 2014 (SEGA)
34 (35) XBO CALL OF DUTY: GHOSTS (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
35 (38) 3DS POKEMON Y (NINTENDO)
36 (__) XBO RAYMAN LEGENDS (UBISOFT)
37 (36) 3DS POKEMON X (NINTENDO)
38 (22) PS4 CALL OF DUTY: GHOSTS (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
39 (24) PS4 TOMB RAIDER: DEFINITIVE EDITION (SQUARE ENIX EUROPE)
40 (31) 360 WWE 2K14 (TAKE 2)

Fifa was free with the XB1 which probably accounts for its numbers.

It probably has more to do with relative sales, when the PS4 goes back in stock, it will have the top Fifa spot. The sales of older titles in the last few months are driven buy people buying games with their new console. So when the PS4 supply dries up so do software sales driven by those sales. This effect is giving Rangers a false sense of " Xbox domination".

What will be telling is the numbers for a XB1 price drop + TF, everything else is just noise at this point.

If that really was the case an hour ago they sold out Quick as now they are saying in stock on the 25th of March. You sure you read it right? It does say in stock but then states on the 25th not that they have stock now.

Hmm, I thought the ability to put in cart meant in stock now. And to basically disregard that 25th notice.

To investigate further I'd have to go further in the order process and see a projected ship date of my "order", and I obviously dont have a Uk Amazon account.

Dont know if I've ever seen Amazon actually take orders for a later date, at least on the USA site. I kinda thought that always just meant "we'll get more in on this date so check back then".

Hmm, I thought that in stock meant now. And to basically disregard that 25th notice.

To investigate further I'd have to go further in the order process and see a projected ship date of my "order", and I obviously dont have a Uk Amazon account.

Dont know if I've ever seen Amazon actually take orders for a later date, at least on the USA site. I kinda thought that always just meant "we'll get more in on this date so check back then".

No. They are taking backorders. This has been done a few times now for PS4. It's just unexpected since it's a product that has been on the market for a long enough time now to be in constant stock.

I think part of the reason MS cut the price in the UK is to capitalise on the current PS4 shortage. It is literally unavailable here. I know a couple of people who have been looking for base models, but have settled for pre-ordering the Infamous bundle on Amazon. Another indicator is that the price on CEX has gone up from £370 to £445 for boxed models. That only happens when there is massive shortage and vultures like CEX can take advantage.

I wouldn't be surprised if PS4 got beat in March because of low shipment volume. Having said that, the original Amazon delivery date was 18/3, now it's 25/3, so it looks like they have exhausted their first week of supply before it arrived, which is probably a good sign. The ACIV bundle and Infamous bundle are also going to be in stock before the end of March as well. If there is any month where MS want to record a victory in the UK, it needs to be March. After that it won't be possible.

Both amazon.com and amazon.co.uk have taken pre-orders for the PS4 several times. It clearly says in stock on March 25th. It's a pre-order, and it even lists it as so on nowinstock.net. They've sold out of PS4s at least a week ago.

They also have two bundles available for pre-order (Infamous and AC4) which will actually be available before the standalone SKU. They're both in the top 100 (64/88 respectively). The PS4 currently sits 10th.

As for the software sales in the UK, that has everything to do with a few things:
-The lack of PS4 supply
-The fact that XB1 received a price cut / Titanfall bundle, and
-That Fifa is bundled with the XB1.

I'm curious how well the PS4 would sell if most retailers weren't pushing bundles on people. Clearly the standalone unit sells at the fastest rate, and availability for the standalone SKU, at least online, is pretty rare these days.

Hmm, I thought the ability to put in cart meant in stock now. And to basically disregard that 25th notice.

No it's basically put in back order and delivered when the next shipment comes, in this case 25th march

Great sales. But that shows how low supply was in the rest of the world. They were at 5.3M as of Feb. 8th, which leaves only 330k. I think February's NPD is going to be fairly low for PS4, probably sub-200k. Availability should be much better in March because they will no longer need to reserve a bunch of PS4s for Japan.

Dunno about low Feb NPD. PS4 was much more present [and sold out] with online retailers in February.

I think it will sold again close to 300k in USA.

That'd be 1.5 million a month manufacturing to make that many consoles over 4 months. If we assume a few months lead time, I can't see how Sony are making anything like a million a month. More like 750k a month, with 4 months stockpiling (3 million units at launch) and 4 months at 750k refilling the chain.

:???:

That'd be 1.5 million a month manufacturing to make that many consoles over 4 months. If we assume a few months lead time, I can't see how Sony are making anything like a million a month. More like 750k a month, with 4 months stockpiling (3 million units at launch) and 4 months at 750k refilling the chain.

:???:

We're also forgetting shipping times.
You've got at least half a month's worth sitting inside cargo ships as they're not air freighting now.

We assumed that they started production in August or so, so it's more like 3 months of stockpiling and 3 months of selling (deleting .5 months of supply on ships), totaling 6 months of production of 6 million units, that's about 1 million a month on average.

Taking into account that you slowly ramp up your production, it's not surprising if they make a bit more than 1 million a month now to make up for a slower start that's inevitable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back