All purpose sales and sales rumors/anecdotes thread next gen+

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would appear the new console generation is one of, if not the, most boring set of consoles ever. Current discussion trends in the console forum are: whether people should or should not complain about price drops; economic standing of the US versus EU and ways to measure; Japanese cultural prejudices and post-War history - compare and contrast the Allies' and Axis' responses to perceived threats and their treatments of political prisoners.

Well you're right, they really are boring. They are mostly more of the same types of games ported to limited hardware, which is probably why as you've noticed there's more threads about stuff surrounding the new consoles rather than the consoles themselves. It probably also explains why the last games I played and had a great time with were games like Gone Home, Monaco, Gunpoint, Lily Looking Thru, Yesterday, The Bridge, etc. Those games feel like something new rather than the same old franchises recycled once again on middling hardware. It's more interesting to talk about the ramifications of the use of plastic in console case design rather than talking about (insert rehash of franchise X attempting to look good on years old hardware here). Yawn.

I'd love to hear how it is different from the last gen. The transitions are similar enough. Last gen we had cross gen games, PC ports, boring launch titles, same looking controllers playing same looking games with slightly better graphics. Sure we could all talk about the Cell and Blu-Ray vs DVD.

Personally I don't get the TF hype at all. I don't think it's going to be the XOne's "Halo" in terms of impact.
It's not my type of game but I do get the hype. But I do think it's a gamble betting on a multiplayer only game. After TF what is the next AAA exclusive for One and when is it due?

I'd love to hear how it is different from the last gen. The transitions are similar enough. Last gen we had cross gen games, PC ports, boring launch titles, same looking controllers playing same looking games with slightly better graphics. Sure we could all talk about the Cell and Blu-Ray vs DVD.

Seems to me that last gen we had better launch games, or at least games that more people were hyped for. The 360 had CoD2 (not CoD 14,000 - the franchise was just beginning to explode not played out), Kameo, Perfect Dark, PGR3, and the only Next-Gen Madden (which was huge to its success).

This launch you've got nothing but a bunch of titles with 4s,5s, and 6s after their titles.

Oh, and the games don't look significantly better than the PS360 era because the hardware is crap, unlike last gen. Just about everybody has a PC that can produce similar or better visuals or could be upgraded to do so at very little cost.

I'm struggling to find a reason to buy either one of these consoles which is why I haven't. So the only bit that actually is interesting are the sales figures, will MS blink, how will they blink (DD only? Kinect-less? Just a price drop?), etc.

It's not my type of game but I do get the hype. But I do think it's a gamble betting on a multiplayer only game. After TF what is the next AAA exclusive for One and when is it due?

Ehhh... Considering the One was supposed to be a DD only, and thus an on-line only console originally and when TF was planned, it was a fair bet that near 100% of their base would purchase TF making it a much safer bet.

(Because the risk was assumed by the entire console strategy itself.)

Ehhh... Considering the One was supposed to be a DD only, and thus an on-line only console originally and when TF was planned, it was a fair bet that near 100% of their base would purchase TF making it a much safer bet.
By that logic, Steam being an online service should be dominated by online-only games. Same goes for iOS.

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

Ehh, there seems to be "stuff to play".

Maybe it's just me then, but I've been checking regularly on PSN and stores and really haven't been seeing much to play, unless you are into shooters (which I own all the games by now anyway). It just seems there isn't all that much. Sure, there are games, but not that many highly anticipated ones.

On the PS2 for instance; I bought my PS2 with SSX (arcade snowboard), Timesplitters (shooter) and Tekken TAG (beat'em up) which offered diverse fun gameplay.

I just feel there are still some key genres missing, like a good beat'em up, perhaps an adventure game (no, I don't count Tomb Raider, as most of us serious gamers already played that on the last console). I know we shouldn't be comparing this new generation of consoles that only just launched last end of November with a console that has been out for 7 years, but as an owner, I am seriously thinking about hooking up my old PS3 to go back to some uncompleted games...

Looking back to last generation, once I made the jump, I never really looked back or had similar thoughts. Maybe it has to do with there being a larger jump between SD consoles and HD consoles, but on some level... yeah, it's just taking a bit long. I wasn't actually considering to buy the new MGS:GZ game either, because it's only an apetizer for the full game, but at this point, I'm seriously considering it.

Maybe it's just me then, but I've been checking regularly on PSN and stores and really haven't been seeing much to play, unless you are into shooters (which I own all the games by now anyway). It just seems there isn't all that much. Sure, there are games, but not that many highly anticipated ones.

On the PS2 for instance; I bought my PS2 with SSX (arcade snowboard), Timesplitters (shooter) and Tekken TAG (beat'em up) which offered diverse fun gameplay.

I just feel there are still some key genres missing, like a good beat'em up, perhaps an adventure game (no, I don't count Tomb Raider, as most of us serious gamers already played that on the last console). I know we shouldn't be comparing this new generation of consoles that only just launched last end of November with a console that has been out for 7 years, but as an owner, I am seriously thinking about hooking up my old PS3 to go back to some uncompleted games...

Looking back to last generation, once I made the jump, I never really looked back or had similar thoughts. Maybe it has to do with there being a larger jump between SD consoles and HD consoles, but on some level... yeah, it's just taking a bit long. I wasn't actually considering to buy the new MGS:GZ game either, because it's only an apetizer for the full game, but at this point, I'm seriously considering it.

I am certain that Sony decided to slow down on game releases and spend more money on getting them better and stronger, they simply don't need to have that many games out right now, they can "Intel" the releases for best possible profit and momentum.

That being said, i think you are right, infamous and the order are the only games on my watch list right now. But hey, i never disconnected my PS3, on the contrary i got my old Fat repaired (again) and have 2 PS3 connected, and bought a Vita :)

JVM put up a new UK market article http://gamasutra.com/blogs/MattMatthews/20140301/212050/

uk-feb-2014-revenue.png

uk-feb-2014-units.png

Doesn't look like the One is doing quite so bad software wise. Seems with a substantial price cut they'd be OK in the UK.

And PS4 already nearly overtaken 360 (at least in revenue). 2.5 months and next gen has nearly overtaken prior, just like that. And for that matter I guess One is already>PS3 (revenue). This is obviously due to higher average selling price of software on PS4/One.

I guess Wii U and 3DS saw nice gains for what it's worth too.
In the past few years the UK retail video game market has suffered a decline even steeper than the one widely reported for the U.S. market. So, when the long-term contraction turned into a modest bit of growth at the end of 2013, that was a big deal. According to the latest figures reported in the trade magazine MCV UK, that growth continued into January 2014. Retail video game software revenues were up 24 percent and unit sales grew 5 percent over last year's January sales.

Doesn't look like the One is doing quite so bad software wise. Seems with a substantial price cut they'd be OK in the UK.

Well that is for Jan right after launch, the worrying thing for MS is the current rate of console sales. if the PS4 keeps selling and the XB1 keeps crawling, software sales will get more and more lopsided.

PS4 Sold Out Almost Everywhere Again in Japan:

Amazon Japan, Yodobashi Camera, Bic Camera, Rakuten, Edion, Sofmap and every other retailer we checked has the console out of stock, and Yodobashi Camera also shows no stock in all its 21 stores across the country (which received further shipments on February 26th and 27th), as you can see in the picture at the bottom of this post. A new shipment is expected by the 5th
I just had a look at Amazon JP and the cheapest PS4 has ~10% premium over recommended price(sold by third party, Amazon is sold out).

Last edited by a moderator:
Infamous: Second Son bundle has overtaken XB1 Titanfall bundle on Gamestops pre-order list.

[source]

MS really needed to have this an XB1 exclusive to make it work, having it on 360 and PC as well is diluting the sales so totally. While Respawn needed it to be properly multiplatform if it is to be at all successful in the same way CoD was\is.

And with Patcher's revelations today it would seem that EA will be kicking themselves and Respawn will be even more p!ssed off about a deal that was done without their agreement.

Infamous: Second Son bundle has overtaken XB1 Titanfall bundle on Gamestops pre-order list.

[source]

MS really needed to have this an XB1 exclusive to make it work, having it on 360 and PC as well is diluting the sales so totally. While Respawn needed it to be properly multiplatform if it is to be at all successful in the same way CoD was\is.

And with Patcher's revelations today it would seem that EA will be kicking themselves and Respawn will be even more p!ssed off about a deal that was done without their agreement.
I think it has been the number 1 selling item at gamestop since it became available a few days ago. Not to take anything away from Infamous, but I think a big reason is because that's currently the only PS4 available for order right now. Even all pre-orders are sold out.

I think both Titanfall and Infamous will sell well, but I do believe that Titanfall will outsell Infamous, especially in the US. But I think the PS4 will still outsell the XB1 -- unless supply is still a big issue for PS4 (which it may very well be). The Titanfall XB1 bundle didn't even make the top 5 at amazon AFAIK (currently 13th), whereas the PS4 has no trouble getting to top 2 at least when it goes in stock.

Titanfall will have a very high attach ratio and will certainly move quite a few XB1s, but I don't think it will give it a massive boost as some might expect.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sony must have sent a lot of units to Japan. Until a couple of weeks ago Amazon UK had a bit of stock being replenished fairly often. Now it says nothing until end of March.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back