Battlefield 4 official discussion/thread. [PS4,XO,PS3,X360]

It's very impressive. The woods at 3:40 was beautifully detailed and realistic. Can you talk about the engine at all? I'm curious about techniques your using and how tied you currently are to legacy ways of doing this, and how much opportunity you see for room for improvement (eg. you might be using existing AA techniques but see scope for introducing new ones once the first wave of titles are released and you have time to spend improving the engine). I'd also like to see player tracking for exactly the things like the wave situation, because players WILL be craning to see over waves, and it'd be good to actually integrate that into the game.

The most impressive thing for me though is how, like Unity and CryEngine, the move is towards a more fluid, integrated development environment. I don't think gamers will ever appreciate what a chore development has been in the past, writing code to do absolutely everything, and how the increase in computing power has allowed a conceptual shift in how games are put together, putting the focus on creativity. That behind the scenes work is going to result in better games overall probably more than any other advance, but the only people who will appreciate that are the developers using the tools.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, glad you liked it!

It looks really good. The movement of the trees is fantastic. The movement of the trees may be subtle, but the result is certainly not! That kind of detail really makes the world look like a much more believable place.

I'm curious about the ocean simulation, and how you sync that between players. There was a discussion in the "server based game augmentation" thread about that, and the end result seemed to be that cloth and water simulation were not a good fit for the dedicated server.

published an article about that DICE Fb3 tech 30 mitnues ago
http://gamexeon.com/video-ea-pamer-...bite-3-di-bf4-need-for-speed-dan-banyak-lagi/

and its already attract 50 viewers.
seems lots of people have their eyes on frostbite.

what is still mystery to me, how dice do the ocean wave?
does its a pre-baked wave that being thrown to all player so it synced? maybe... like the levelution and destruction effect?

but instead pre-baked on client a-la BFBC2 and BF3, its pre-baked on server.
i gues we will find out when we start playing the Premium beta. If i got lag spike, then its downloading big data off server.
(my internet is VERY limited 1mbps, not true 1mbps)
or i can play it on windowed and see the bandwidth meter, got spike or not.
or try blowing a bunch of C4 on shore, see if it affect the waves or not

lol when using google image search, i stumbled that picture from DA and cant stop myself from using it as the article big image haha.

Snake chased by a tank, complete with mysterious BF4 box!

The most impressive thing, besides the amazing graphics, is the destruction. No game at E3 showed it, or focused on it. All go 'just' beautiful graphics, but DICE...the 'leveling' feature is real next gen imo. Making a believable world. When I saw the building collapse during E3 MP demo, I had to insta call my buddy and asked 'did you just see that'?

After watching this vid I am so happy that it was not one scripted event (like the collapse of the radio tower on the Caspian Border map near the end of a round), but an integral part of the game/tec.

Oh, and repi+DICE...thanks so much for Mirrors Edge 2 (/sheding a tear).

Graphically it's actually a very noticeable leap over BF3 now that I've seen more footage. The simulated waves and reflections were pretty stunning, I'm gonna love ocean battle in this game. Trees were also nicely done and realistically lit with the lighting, the addition of Bokeh DOF is most welcome!

Also can Repi shed some light on the native rendering resolution for nextgen consoles and what graphics setting will they be running at:)?

billy, doesnt the levelution is scripted even just like caspian radio tower?
the levelution of the building on BF4 will be always give the same result.

just like caspian radio tower. you hit it with heli a few times, it collapse.
you blow some structural point on BF4 and the building levelolution.

billy, doesnt the levelution is scripted even just like caspian radio tower?
the levelution of the building on BF4 will be always give the same result.

just like caspian radio tower. you hit it with heli a few times, it collapse.
you blow some structural point on BF4 and the building levelolution.

The bigger destruction will be scripted as always.

"Gamers are going to experience much more authentic, believable and realistic looking games."

Believable solution are a rarity.
HUD in BF is not believable for instance, neither is the fact that you teleport inside vehicles like shown in the "Fishing in Baku" level.
Ammo pools are not believable but they are staying for sure.
Can you even climb in BF 4?
Is there actually an animation that shows you picking a gun or the gun appears magically in your hands as usual? In the E3 video it was the latter.
Why can you only stab somebody form behind in BF, how is that believable?
Does the wind affect bullets as well as the ocean/sea or trees?
Is there dismemberment in BF 4?

Last edited by a moderator:
The bigger destruction will be scripted as always.

Yeah, the stuff in the MP demo I thought was actually a bit boring. The one in the MP demo was especially disappointing, with the demo just falling into the water and the water itself mysteriously vaporising rather than flushing all the solders on the lower levels.

Real-time destruction or bust, this Disney style destruction looks worse than some of the semi-scripted destruction in Killzone 2 or the scripted destruction in some racing games, like Split Second that change the tracks depending on user triggered high level destruction events.

In the engine tech demo there were some smaller scale destruction that seemed actually real-time, and that was much more interesting.

Holy shit...just found this gif (@GAF) directly from the video:

bf411_by_xbulletz-d6agal2.gif

Reagarding the destruction:

Caspian border collapse of radio tower was scripted in the sense that it was part of the map, when a specific team was close to lose the battle, the fall of the tower indicated this, there was nothing you could directly do to influence it.

As I understood this: the building in BF4 demo collapsed due to the amount of damage it took. In this sense, it was not scripted. I am using here scripted in a gameplay sense, not in a collapsing simulation tec sense.

Furthermore, the demo showed, how they were actually in this very building, while tanks hit it, and jumped out before collapse. This is way way different in my opinion than everything we have seen so far...if I interpret this right.

So to be clear, I don't mean scripted in a tec sense, but scripted in a gameplay sense.

That's exactly like it is in Split Second for instance. Or in Infamous, where the player can destroy certain parts of buildings, but not others. Or in Killzone, where players can shoot a few parts of buildings to pieces (or building sized mechs), etc.

I'm curious about the ocean simulation, and how you sync that between players. There was a discussion in the "server based game augmentation" thread about that, and the end result seemed to be that cloth and water simulation were not a good fit for the dedicated server.
The waves could be represented as a height map, compressed as a JPEG.

Back