AMD: Volcanic Islands R1100/1200 (8***/9*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

bf4+premium is $110 (60+50) on origin in the us...

The 280x should have better power efficiency than the VERY old reference cards at the reviewers, should be quite close to 770 (which is worse than 680).

I have a feeling newegg and tiger are being coy with preorders because of pressure from amd to not boost their srp merely for the preorder cards. Price is most likely $649-$699. Considering when titan went up for preorder it was at a solid $999.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't that about the timeframe, when price wars and the economic crisis started and companys struggled to turn in a profit? I am not for a 1,000-dollar-pricepoint at all, but pricing must be reasonable, otherwise bankruptcy will ensue, markets will collapse and people do not profit anymore from competition.

2007 and 2008 were pretty intense for AMD at least. HD2000 and HD3000 were just too lame to compete with NVIDIA's high end and so had to be cheap. HD4000 was not super great but it could compete with GTX 260 and it seemed like AMD went for a marketshare gain by continuing with low pricing (and telling us it was because they loved us, "sweet spot", the good fight, etc.) :)

What about OGL for Hawaii? NVIDIA's cards supports OpenGL 4.4
KronosGroup also just confirmed that AMD does not conform to their standards for OpenGL at the moment

ScreenShot2013-10-04at195342_zps813785df.png

Their drivers probably haven't passed the conformance tests yet. I don't think you're allowed to claim compatibility until you have passed the tests (someone feel free to correct me though).

And yet a whole bunch decided to adopt OpenCL.
And to make things weird, AMD is officially OpenGL ES adopter (with their old Imageon line even while Qualcomm bought this stuff) while nVidia isn't, despite their Tegra. NVidia is just listet as "implementer". That is free, you just can't claim to be "compliant" and are not allowed to advertise your product with the official logos. For that you have to pay to become an adopter (and pass a conformance test). Obviously, nobody did this for OpenGL besides nV.

What about OGL for Hawaii? NVIDIA's cards supports OpenGL 4.4
KronosGroup also just confirmed that AMD does not conform to their standards for OpenGL at the moment

ScreenShot2013-10-04at195342_zps813785df.png

As far as I know, it's not about the chips, it's about the drivers. It wasn't until just recently when they got full OGL 4.3 support out in the drivers

The more I think about it, the more I'm looking forward to seeing the price/performance of the R9 290 (vanilla, not X). The force might be strong within this one. Or am I just fooling myself, Dave? :p

The more I think about it, the more I'm looking forward to seeing the price/performance of the R9 290 (vanilla, not X). The force might be strong within this one. Or am I just fooling myself, Dave? :p
You're not the only one. Because so far, it seems like the X version is headed towards iNvsanity pricing.

You're not the only one. Because so far, it seems like the X version is headed towards iNvsanity pricing.
AMD are not releasing prices and performance numbers to prevent Nvidia raining on their launch parade; AMD know that the 700 series(and Titan) have been out long enough for Nvidia to cut prices at anytime they want.
As consumers we are all better off waiting for Nvidia to respond than to buy these cards at launch.

Perhaps. But AMD needs to make money. They haven't been too profitable in some time. If they make huge margins on Hawaii then so be it. The average gamer will be well served by the 280X on down. And if you like Nvidia, then the rest of their lineup will be much cheaper soon as well thanks to AMD....

Back