AMD: Volcanic Islands R1100/1200 (8***/9*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

eI want to join in on the pricing whining! I paid $500 for 8800GTX and I thought that was exorbitant. But our duopoly has done some magic in the past couple of years.... Now $500 only gets you "performance mainstream" or whatever the current trendy segment there is.

Remember when AMD was the low pricing cheerleader and was pushing all that PR? ;) Though I think the reality back then was their marketshare sucked because HD 2000-3000 were poor and they needed to stage a comeback.

I want to join in on the pricing whining! I paid $500 for 8800GTX and I thought that was exorbitant. But our duopoly has done some magic in the past couple of years.... Now $500 only gets you "performance mainstream" or whatever the current trendy segment there is.

You live in the states, so I don't think what you're saying jives with what's available...Click me for the Google Shopping query results for 7970Ghz Edition And now Click me for the Google Shopping query results for 7870 Ghz Edition

I see a fat stack of 7970 Ghz Editions out for prices well below $400. And I see a fat stack of 7870 Ghz Editions for absolutely less than $200. If the 7870 Ghz isn't "performance mainstream", then I don't know what is. And even the 7970 doesn't fit into your perceived price rift at >$500.

What gives?

Everyone who wants to buy the hardware on release day will pay through their nose, that's just part of the deal with being part of the first round. Same goes for nearly any commodity electronics equipment.

I spent the fat coin to get my 7970OC edition within the first month or three of availability, and I too "paid" for it. Am I bitter? Nah, not really.

LN2 superiority is only useful to those few people going for world record scores. It's not practical for regular use, so saying R290X is no good for LN2 gains is a non-issue for nearly everyone.

Maybe it just means that 290X can show it's performance/potential without needing LN2?

LN2 superiority is only useful to those few people going for world record scores. It's not practical for regular use, so saying R290X is no good for LN2 gains is a non-issue for nearly everyone.

Maybe it just means that 290X can show it's performance/potential without needing LN2?

I'm sure there will be some good 290X overclockers. There were Tahitis hitting 1700-1800Mhz+ on LN2 so I doubt Hawaii would be that bad since it's still on TSMC 28nm. Could just mean Hawaii may be the new champ with air cooling....

I have delete my post as he was not clear of it speak about overclocking or performance stock.. for what he say: the 290x is faster in all case ( oc on air vs air oc titan, but on LN2, titan goes higher in mhz, ( who is not really a big metric to take in consideration as it depend greatly of the Asic quality ( lower is better for LN2 ).. His first words was about stock performance, but he dont want enter the detail. ( 290x ahead in some games, titan on the some other... both should be nearly equal )

44 ROPs look weird.

A few other things would likely need to be tweaked to fit as nicely as a 16-wide ROP array fits in a 64-wide wavefront, or cache lines and memory bursts with lengths that are multiples of 16.

Yeah, I would have thought that they would go with 48 ROPs, and get rid of the rop arbitration mechnism. Are rops really that expensive in area? I thought they would be pretty cheap.

You live in the states, so I don't think what you're saying jives with what's available...Click me for the Google Shopping query results for 7970Ghz Edition And now Click me for the Google Shopping query results for 7870 Ghz Edition

I see a fat stack of 7970 Ghz Editions out for prices well below $400. And I see a fat stack of 7870 Ghz Editions for absolutely less than $200. If the 7870 Ghz isn't "performance mainstream", then I don't know what is. And even the 7970 doesn't fit into your perceived price rift at >$500.

What gives?
I'm just saying that the new $700+ segment isn't such a great development. It was more entertaining when they were at each others' throats, like the ~$350 512-bit R600. ;) Now we've gone all "extreme luxury" and have to drop $700+ for the big new chip!

Maybe it is business reality for gaming graphics development to have these high prices but it is still crazyness.

I'm just saying that the new $700+ segment isn't such a great development. It was more entertaining when they were at each others' throats, like the ~$350 512-bit R600. ;) Now we've gone all "extreme luxury" and have to drop $700+ for the big new chip!

Maybe it is business reality for gaming graphics development to have these high prices but it is still crazyness.

Dollar isn't worth anything, it's inevitable.

I'd say "mid range" is creeping up to $400 too. It used to be $200.

I'm just saying that the new $700+ segment isn't such a great development. It was more entertaining when they were at each others' throats, like the ~$350 512-bit R600. ;)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't that about the timeframe, when price wars and the economic crisis started and companys struggled to turn in a profit? I am not for a 1,000-dollar-pricepoint at all, but pricing must be reasonable, otherwise bankruptcy will ensue, markets will collapse and people do not profit anymore from competition.

Those are some offputtingly high numbers being bandied about.

I thought they said they weren't going to try to be matching NV high pricing, sticking to traditional lower prices?

Well, TDP difference with the 7970 vs GTX 770 is not really big ... ( the 7970 is under, the 7970Ghz is higher ( In BF3, this is only 4W difference ) And we dont know if AMD have cut a little bit on the TDP . ( They was some choice made on the Ghz edition, as higher base voltage who was increase the TDP )..

Those are some offputtingly high numbers being bandied about.

I thought they said they weren't going to try to be matching NV high pricing, sticking to traditional lower prices?

For what i have understand they said, they was not going after the 1000$ market...

Dont forget, this 729 $ price on NewEgg is for "limited BF4 edition " preorder gpu's.... And for what we know, final price is still not set right now. they was 2 rumors of price 649 and 599$ ... looking this price the 649$ look more in line with today "preorder Price ".

Last edited by a moderator:
Back