Entitled gamers, corrupt press and greedy publishers

It still incenses me to find people like you who say "well the game wasn't like what I wanted so I don't feel like paying for it but I still want it so I'm gonna pirate it." What kind of god awful logic is that?

I think you missed the point, just like the publishers does, let's act surprised. Maybe you work for one?

I think you missed the point, just like the publishers does, let's act surprised. Maybe you work for one?

Disagreeing with someone does not mean I "work for the enemy". -_-

I do write some mobile apps on the side, so that's where that feeling comes from. And people give the same excuse, but for even cheaper $3 apps. It's annoying as hell.

Disagreeing with someone does not mean I "work for the enemy". -_-

I do write some mobile apps on the side, so that's where that feeling comes from. And people give the same excuse, but for even cheaper $3 apps. It's annoying as hell.

You didn't disagree you said:

find people like you who say "well the game wasn't like what I wanted so I don't feel like paying for it but I still want it so I'm gonna pirate it." What kind of god awful logic is that?

Notice the "people like you" and then the " I'm gonna pirate it" i read that as an accusation instead of a disagreement. Let me get my spoons and feed my argument to you.

I bought BF3 even though it had ODRM and the incredible crappy Origin, needless to say i will not be putting my money in EA's pockets, what a shitty piece of technology that did nothing for me other than waste my time.

I bought Farcry 3 because low and behold Ubisoft changed their game, and though Uplay is totally useless for me, it atleast works.

In non of these cases did i resolve to pirate copies , even if the case of BF3 i might be able to play it. But some people just doesn't care about morals etc, and doesn't give a damn about publishers that treat their customers like money machines and just takes what they want. Because ODRM does not stop piracy.

I just don't give them my money if i can avoid it, i would have bought every assassins creed if it weren't for ubisofts middlefinger, i would have looked forward to BF4 and i would have been playing Simcity FIVE at launch.

So please get of my back and get on the publishers back instead.

In the case of gaming, I think it's pretty obvious that always online connectivity, DRM, and other such concerns are extremely minor for the vast majority of consumers.
We only have one example of a publisher which went whole hog with online DRM ... and that one changed it's tune.

It might be minor, but all the evidence points towards online DRM leaving money on the table.

Publishers will do what any company will do in the free market, attempt to maximise profitability, if DRM results in the reduction in piracy which increases sales a greater amount than the reduction in sales because users refuse to buy, why wouldn't they. Of course they can't measure the effects directly and there is always the danger of a local minima...

IMO the ONLY DRM that has any chance of working on an open box like a PC is to move at least some of the code off the users box. Ideally it's something critical to the title and not trivial to replicate. Anything else will be cracked in a few days, often before you ship and the simple fact is the majority of your customers would rather get something for free than pay for it.
There is a cost associated with this sort of DRM both to the company and the consumer.

I am starting to believe that free to play will become the business model of the future, it's something I really wish were not the case, it means game design gets a single metric to optimize for, maximizing revenue from individuals, and I don't think that is conducive to the best end user experience.
Subscription services are IMO a much better deal for end users, the revenue can be structured to reward creators of games that people play, which is subtly different than F2P where you pretty much have to design a base experience that is inconvenient and incomplete with the offer to fix it for an ongoing price.

We only have one example of a publisher which went whole hog with online DRM ... and that one changed it's tune.

It might be minor, but all the evidence points towards online DRM leaving money on the table.

Eh? Blizzard has been fully always online DRM since 2004 with the launch of World of Warcraft. Their last game that didn't require a permanent online connection was Warcraft 3 back in 2001. I don't think they've changed their tune in the interim. Diablo 3 on the PS3 will be their first game since then that doesn't require an always online connection (presumably) and that is only because pirating is quite difficult on PS3.

EA, UBIsoft and Activision are also investing heavily into always online DRM. Star Wars: TOR is basically a single player game with MMO trappings tacked on to justify the always online nature of the game, for example. All of the Sony branded games (SOE) require an always online connection. It's notable that Sony won't allow a 1st party developer to release a game on PC without that always online component. Hence, no single player Sony published game is available on PC that I'm aware of.

Is it any wonder that the most successful PC games of the past 5 years require an always online connection? Granted most of them have been MMOs (virtually impossible to pirate) but Diablo III (still not successfully pirated) basically outsold COD (on 3 platforms as well). Pretty good for a PC game. Even more remarkable because according to internet pundits, it should have failed due to the always online requirement. SC2: WOL and HOTS both have had limited success for piraters (and along with that much lower sales than Diablo III, but still better than most multiplatform games). Both cracks basically stopped working after a bit of time, especially HOTS didn't last very long as the crack relies on the user connecting to Blizzard to get the necessary files for the server emulation which is problematic once the games gets some patches.

Regards,
SB

Starcraft II will play offline. Guest mode is gone, but you can disconnect and play offline so long as you don't have an internet connection (you know, like on a plane ;) ).

i dont think blizzard decision to allow offline play on PS3 is because piracy concern.

Pirating game on PS3 should be a lot easier than Xbox 360 because there's no need to disassemble the console. Its just plug-install-play.

But maybe because PS3 game rarely got leaked?
Usually Xbox 360 games are leaked 1-4 week before release and people with custom firmware can play them.

But that reason should be invalid, because leaked PC games are the one cant be played before release date. PC is the safest platform (in term of playable leaks).

Last edited by a moderator:
Eh?

Granted most of them have been MMOs (virtually impossible to pirate) but Diablo III (still not successfully pirated) basically outsold COD (on 3 platforms as well).

MMO's Massive Multiplayer Online, how do you see these games work without online always? The whole idea with MMO's is being online, you pay to be online, there is no offline game, everything is online.

You are asking for a offline mode for internet browsers?

So lets please stop using MMO's as an example on always online drm that is successful.

And when that is said, there is plenty of private wow servers out there to be played and from a quick google search it seems that Diablo 3 is catching up.

Seriously? PS3 was fully hacked miles ago. Made huge news and started a half-dozen threads here on B3D.

He made a perfectly good question, how do i play a pirate game on my PS3?

Is it complicated? Can i just burn a BR disc? Afaik the PS3 is far from fully hacked in the sense that it's easy to play a copied game on the console.

He made a perfectly good question, how do i play a pirate game on my PS3?

Is it complicated? Can i just burn a BR disc? Afaik the PS3 is far from fully hacked in the sense that it's easy to play a copied game on the console.

The info can be found easily (Google is your friend) but discussion of the actions needed is entirely inappropriate for B3D.

[Edit] Took me less than 30 seconds to find out it is insanely easy.

Last edited by a moderator:
The info can be found easily (Google is your friend) but discussion of the actions needed is entirely inappropriate for B3D.

[Edit] Took me less than 30 seconds to find out it is insanely easy.

All of the easy guides seem pretty old, anything new is fairly complex, and in some cases like the newest consoles, it seems impossible. Unless i am mistaken it's not childs play to hack your PS3 so that you can play pirated games.

But where there is a will there is a way

Looks like it's simple if you have firmware 3.55 or lower and difficult (hardware level) if not.
(I did say I don't pirate, period and, with 2 old-style PS3s I think this confirms it) :)

Looks like it's simple if you have firmware 3.55 or lower and difficult (hardware level) if not.
(I did say I don't pirate, period and, with 2 old-style PS3s I think this confirms it) :)

Well that is just the thing isn't, if you need to have an outdated firmware then you were really never the paying customer to begin with :)

"3.66 June 22, 2011"

So for (probably) >99 % of all PS3s you have to disassemble if you want to pirate?

Yeah. It isn't perfect. :(

But on the bright side more airlines are attempting to include in flight internet. :p Granted you have to pay out the nose for it. :(

Regards,
SB

Free If you fly with Norwegian - been around 2 years now. They even go transatlantic an are a low fare flight company

So for (probably) >99 % of all PS3s you have to disassemble if you want to pirate?

If you didn't jailbreak them prior to 3.55+ it would appear so, but if you jailbroke before then you're golden forever. Apparently there are so many out there that Sony is threatening permabans, etc. but can't do it because they're undetectable after another patch.

PS3 with new firmware can be downgraded.

Btw, the way PS3 piracy works en mass on one 3rd world country, maybe happend on other country too? china? :
(rather long post, broken english)

Go to game store,
Buy PS3 pre-hacked, complete with a lot of games on Hard Disk.

Then when you want new games, go to game store with USB Hard Disk, fill it with a bunch of new games.
Or if you have original-virgin PS3, bring it to gamestore and they will hack it for you.

The same thing happend on Xbox 360 piracy.
The difference is that Xbox 360 pirated games are sold in DVD, PS3 games are sold as data you copy from game store to USB HDD.

Both console pirated games can be played ONLINE.

PSN games can be downloaded from official SONY SERVER then pirated, played on hacked PS3.

Although the piracy like that, this does not mean PS3 gamers only buy pirated games. On the Contrary, game store sell pirated and original PS3 games. There no Original Xbox 360 games (except if you special order it).

i dont really know the reason why original PS3 game market can have a life, and there no original Xbox 360 game. Maybe its because:
- There a healthy 2nd hand games market
- Gamers are impatient, rather than waiting for crack in a few weeks or month, they prefer to buy original games. (on the contrary, pirated Xbox 360 games available up to 4 weeks before official release).
- The bonus on Original games is tempting.
- There are game store selling original game, so they can buy original game (on the contrary, Xbox 360 games need to be special order).

Back