KILLZONE Shadow Fall [PS4]

The fact that they're still listening to their forum-dwellers is troubling. A major reason for KZ3's multiplayer being such a mess was that they gave too much credence to what was being said on the forums.

I tried to get back into KZ3 again tonight just because this thread made me think maybe I'd been too hard on it. Ugh, this game is awful. I had forgotten that besides all the problems I had with the game's balance and structure, the basic mechanics felt broken to me as well.

I am close to finishing. Overall the game looks and runs great but it does seem like it was rushed in some areas, some character models are questionable(Saric?), noticed some bad lip syncing(Echo) and some bad textures here and there. Also AF could use some improvement. I am happy they did not sacrifice IQ though so 1080P make a huge difference imo.

The fact that they're still listening to their forum-dwellers is troubling. A major reason for KZ3's multiplayer being such a mess was that they gave too much credence to what was being said on the forums.

I tried to get back into KZ3 again tonight just because this thread made me think maybe I'd been too hard on it. Ugh, this game is awful. I had forgotten that besides all the problems I had with the game's balance and structure, the basic mechanics felt broken to me as well.

A local player with whom I played KZ2 on launch says the MP is very much KZ2-like and he is very happy that the game is balanced right out of the door, so GG can't really mess up anything.

My wish would be to bring back Assasination in the Warzones mix and bring back Salamun Market, Thsaris refinery and other super cool maps from KZ2 in next gen graphics :love:
!

Matter of taste though ... I personally thought it was great. The snow levels were really cool in particular, with the robot attachment thing. I do think the gameplay in that game was hugely improved by playing it with the Move controller - I at least loved that and it was the only way to play it for me.

I've been impressed with the controls in Killzone: SF perhaps the most so far. While I would still love to have some motion control options in there (perhaps even just the gyro in the DS4 as aiming or free look option), I'm impressed with the accuracy of the analog sticks and especially how well they work without aim assist.

The most annoying thing for me is some specific or imperfection in the engine: sometimes you notice changes in the lighting of some parts/objects while moving towards them. It could be compared to visible LOD change or delayed textures streaming. But in case of KZ it looks like it's really change in lighting. You walk, notice that some object changed its look, you walk slowly back - notice object change back again, walk slowly towards - it changes again.

For the most part I'm loving the looks of this game. However the facial animations are pretty awful across the board. Echo's face fairs a bit better than the everyone else's, but hers is still miles away from last gen accomplishments like Beyond and nowhere near close to the hand animated goodness of The Last of Us. Animation in the latter handily outclasses every single instance of facial performance capture I've seen so far. Stop blowing millions on capture gear and hire some capable animators instead.

But the graphics tho.
1502606_10152077634065289_2024508911_o.jpg

963996_10152077626050289_673177038_o.jpg

Yeah I agree, facial animation could use some serious work. It's crazy to imagine how much further ND could go with vastly superior hardware.

Whatevs. Most important thing for me was how enjoyable of a package Shadowfall turned out to be. I dig the improve-or-get-nowhere kind of old-school design philosophy and the meaty length of the campaign. The game can be pretty damn tough. You're generally out-gunned at all times and the Helghast are formidable marksmen. You're also surprisingly fragile and health regen is incredibly slow. You do have some really cool tools to tip the odds in your favor, though. I particularly enjoy using one-man flanking maneuvers with help from the owl.
I really think anyone who enjoys the deliberately paced apex predator gameplay of the Crysis games should have quite a bit of fun with this game too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whatevs. Most important thing for me was how enjoyable of a package Shadowfall turned out to be. I dig the improve-or-get-nowhere kind of old-school design philosophy and the meaty length of the campaign. The game can be pretty damn tough. You're generally out-gunned at all times and the Helghast are formidable marksmen. You're also surprisingly fragile and health regen is incredibly slow. You do have some really cool tools to tip the odds in your favor, though. I particularly enjoy using one-man flanking maneuvers with help from the owl.
I really think anyone who enjoys the deliberately paced apex predator gameplay of the Crysis games should have quite a bit of fun with this game too.

Thats speaking directly to me ! I hate the newer handheld gameplay where u r led by the nose and won't fail if u do what the game says and WILL FAIL if you don't !

Hmm...I am in a dilemna actually. Sony just announced th eprices for games in our country and they are almost double of what they cost on the PS3 :(....so, now I am thkning whether to get the Camera, I love AR, or KZSF? I had decided to get both but with these kindof prices, I think I will have to choose between them.

I do have the $10 upgrade for BF4 ad AC4 to cover my games, but they aren't really next-gen games per se......

KZSF or the Cam? :???:

Doubled the prices? - Geez. Thankfully they remained frozen where I live. It's still 60€ just like last gen. I think Shadowfall is a fine game, but it's not a 120€ type of fine game.

Doubled the prices? - Geez. Thankfully they remained frozen where I live. It's still 60€ just like last gen. I think Shadowfall is a fine game, but it's not a 120€ type of fine game.

Yeah it was 2499 for a game till now for the ps3, for ps4 its 4499 ! KZSF will be 4000 though, but still thats almost twice of what I was expecting. That also puts a lot of pressure on future purchases, as 3rd party games will all be priced at 4499, which is , frankly, ridiculous....I mean we will really have to think if we want a game or not !

The Cam is $60 in the US, so it will have the same price tag of either 4k or 4.5k. I was thiking of getting both for that amount. Now I am perplexed :rolleyes: !I really want that cam as my Niece's B'day is on the 31st Dec and kids can have a lot ffun with the Playroom robots. But whats a PS4 without a game?

We are alll just praying that Sony doesn't quote some absolutely ridiculous price for console tomorrow ! I mean, I have been planning for this for quite some time, don't want to cancel a ps4. Praying for a sane price.

What region system do you have? Can you just have someone send you a game from abroad?

We get EU games. But. I don't really have anyone who can send me games from the EU. Anyways, won't the shipping charges nullify any benefit? Patsu once sent me R3 as a wedding gift and it cost him almost $90 with shipping.

And i can't possibly think of getting each game shipped from abroad :( ! Have to live with the reality. Just praying that the console price doesn't go thru the roof tomorrow. I am already expecting $700(with taxes), just hoping it doesn't go above that. Affording that is also a big hole in the pocket anyways

Matter of taste though ... I personally thought it was great. The snow levels were really cool in particular, with the robot attachment thing. I do think the gameplay in that game was hugely improved by playing it with the Move controller - I at least loved that and it was the only way to play it for me.
Are you talking about SP or MP? Because while the snow maps were gorgeous, they also had the most performance issues in MP, leading to more missed shots and jerky movement. One of them was also very poorly designed, with the Helghast able to snipe the exits from the ISA spawn from a high point in their spawn.

I'm hearing good things about SF and would like to try it. I just hope they don't wreck the sequel with forum-driven features. They should take a page out of Treyarch's book and make changes based on game metadata, not polls.

I agree I am glad I purchased I am enjoying the SP experience a lot more than CODG and BF4. I think it's the sci-fi atmosphere. I would like to see more mechs thou.

Well, I completed the game last weekend. It's good, but I think I agree with many others in that the game does have various parts that are a bit of a drag. I only completed it on the normal difficulty too, but despite that, it didn't really offer much of a challenge, until the very last two chapters when you encounter enemies that are either unbeatable (bots) or just very powerful ones (or in enough quantity to make you think through how you would approach it).

On the whole though, the game was easy and being a bit of a bullet sponge yourself, it really didn't make me have to think much on how to approach the level. There were various instances though where I felt a bit lost - like where to go, but pressing the up-button to get the objective marker helped. Though by the amount I had to actually get the objective marker on the screen, at one point I was thinking it might have been a bit better to just always have it present.

As a game, I also think that it's not as good as KZ3. Truthfully, I kind of forget lots of stuff about the KZ3 campaign, but when I completed it - it was quite something. Lots of block-buster moments and a lot better than the KZ2 campaign. The only thing that was a bit of a letdown in KZ3, was the missing end-boss. KZ2 will go down as being very memorable because of that. Unfortunately, IMO, KZSF falls short in most of these areas. I liked that there was less large scale battles and that for the most part, you are more or less an infiltration / sabotage mission, but somehow, it still felt a lot less exciting than KZ3s. At some point, I was also quite bored too.

On the up side though, the visuals are amazing. Throughout the game, the framerate is suprisingly very stable (I rarely noticed any drops) and the graphics are just very clean and polished. On the down side however, you have the awful lip-synch and the very stale faces. Also, and this is perhaps just an inherent problem with how Guerrilla creates its graphics with lots of postprocessing, but I definately don't like the lag in the controls. It just feels as if you're playing on a TV with high latency display lag (100+ms). I get the weight argument, but IMO "simulating weight" has nothing to do with screen latency.

As for the multiplayer - I really haven't played much of it. Not sure if I like it - it definately feels better than KZ3 for what it's worth, but I don't like the verticality in some of the levels. I guess I just really miss the KZ2 maps - Tharsis, Radec, Salomon market - heck pretty much all of them were awesome and easy to play. In KZ3, I still feel lost, but I perhaps it'll get better when I start to invest a bit more time into it. Being a regular BF4 (and CoD versed player) though, it is a bit annoying that the other games make it so easy to just jump in and play (and have fun) while in KZ:SF, it seems like there's an initial learning curve you have to get passed first to see what would make the multiplayer so unique and good.

Didn't DF test the latency in their Killzone SF analysis? I thought it was quite reasonable/average now? Certainly didn't bother me, but I did transition to a new TV with (even) less lag now.

I agree about the objective marker - could probably stay on-screen permanently.

I really don't know to be honest. Maybe playing BF4 regularly is what is skewing the impression of the controls - and of course that this is 30fps (in the campaign) compared to the 60fps you get in other games. Despite all this, - and perhaps it is the design of the game - but it just feels very laggy. As if you are walking around with a heavy 20kg rifle and every movement takes a while. On the other hand, I am very sure there must be some screen latency too. Maybe it's a combination of both.

I don't want to compare this too much with BF4 either - namely because I really like the approach Guerrilla has taken - and I'm also a very big fan of the KZ2 multiplayer and appreciate that the campaign is much closer to a Half-Life than a 'smokes & mirros' CoD game. On the other hand, BF4 shows quite nicely how you can add a certain realism to how the movement of your character impacts your aiming ability. For instance; If you're doing side steps in BF4 - your screen will actually make small incremental jumps (it's not a fluid smooth movement) because you are obviously side-stepping. In KZ:SF, regardless what weapon you have equiped or even if you're just walking around with the knife / melee weapon, you just feel as slow as when you are walking around with the big rifle (well, the minigun I think makes you even slower than that).

I guess it's not a big complaint. On PS3 in KZ2 / KZ3, I got that some of that lag was due to the fact that Guerrilla were pushing every boundery outthere to create the amazing visuals and make the game they wanted. I guess I was kind of hoping that on PS4 with lots of new hardware, they would have been able to focus more on how the game feels than just the visuals. In that sense, it may look like next-gen, but feels a bit last-gen to play. I appreciate the fact that the slower movement of your characters make the game much more strategic and less of a "run & gun" game. On the other hand, I just felt a few times that this game would feel so much better if it had the framerate and movement accuracy of the other games. Graphics are nice, but they will only get you so far. And I know from quite a few BF4 / CoD players that this is one of the reasons why they feel KZ is not really 'their cup of tea' - which is IMO a big shame, because the multiplayer has a lot to offer that you can't get in the other games.

So do you notice a big difference when playing multiplayer, as that is 60fps?

I personally think it's a shame there isn't an option to map head movement to the gyro. That would really have added a unique feel, I think.

I read somewhere ('t was an interview I believe. Probably on DF no less) that Guerilla managed to cut down the latency to 80ms. Isn't that about as good as it gets for a 30fps title? In any case, I thought it actually felt really snappy. There's still the feeling of lugging around a 20 kg rifle of course, but I thought that was always the intention.

Back