KILLZONE Shadow Fall [PS4]

It has party chat, yes, but that's not always the best for online multiplayer. So team based voice chat was added.

http://killzone.com/en_US/blog/news/2013-12-21_killzone-shadow-fall-v107-patch-is-out.html

Thanks. That clarified the situation for me. It looks like they did more than just a basic implementation of it too. This is how all games should do voice chat -- ability to enable/disable, ability to mute individual players, ability to select where voice chat is played.

I had just assumed this was already the case in next-gen blockbuster games.

So is the party system rock solid ? Does it put everyone in your party in the same team or does it still randomly assign folks to different teams ?

So is the party system rock solid ? Does it put everyone in your party in the same team or does it still randomly assign folks to different teams ?

I played KZ with friends using party once. We were traveling together in one team and could voice chat before KZ introduced chats ingame.

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I heard from various friends who have played the game since launch, everyone seems to agree that the MP is fun, but the SP suits the tastes of some, like sigfried and rockaman here, and doesn't suit the tastes of some others in my local forum. If the SP isn't exciting because it doesn't lead you from one set piece to next by your nose, then I am happy as thats what I want. I want a free form SP whose focus is in letting me play instead of making fall through floors and jump over rooftops to choppers every other minute.

Since my ps4 purchase is costing me much more than I had imagined, around $700, and my MP fix is set up with my $10 upgrade for my BF4, what I wanted to know was if the SP gameplay mechanics of KZSF are solid. Are they fun to play around with Helghast? Will SP be replayable like, say RFOM or Resistance 3? Which game do you think this game's SP gameplay most closely resembles? I love old school shooters like Doom 3 or Rage, is it akin to those pure shooters?
I mean the game will cost me around $75, over the $700 of my ps4, so I need to know what it feels like. Still undecided on whether to get it or just wait and tide the time with BF4.

I haven't played enough, but from what I hear, about half the levels are open levels which have several different ways of completing your objective, and then there are a bunch of levels that are a bit more like CoD. But this is probably better answered by someone who isn't still on level 2. ;)

I'd say the game is similar to a Crysis 2 in terms of linearity, level size and even pace. I'd say more than half of the game is pretty linear... maybe 1/3 or so of the levels are a bit more open. But even the parts that are linear aren't anywhere near a CoD. Many of the enemy encounters have multiple ways of going about them. You can play the game more stealthy, or more like a pure shooter and go balls to the wall. The owl adds a nice little dynamic to the gameplay too. Overall I think it was a pretty good SP campaign. I definitely enjoyed it more than BF4, which was mostly gun battle after gun battle.

I finally figured out the way to get to the top of the leaderboards. It's the easiest thing ever. Just put down a spawn beacon, and watch the points roll in. I levelled it up all way in just one afternoon. Compare that to the buddy drone which needs about 400 kills to max out, and you'll be lucky if it makes 3 kills in a match.

The last patch finally brought the party chat, but Guerilla kinda forgot the switch it on by default. :rolleyes: So if you want it, you'll need to switch it on during a match. But as long as I'm playing solo I'm not going to use it.

That usually also means I'm playing whatever role the team needs me to play like medic, placing spawn beacons, watching our flanks. While they run around like a bunch of headless chickens. But I will say even a bad team can often suddenly get their act together and complete an objective. And playing Support gives you a chance to play a big part in making sure that happens. So it's still fun, and I can always pick up a better weapon from a downed player to work on my unlocks.

The reasoning GG is giving is that they don't want COD squeaky swearing kids in everyone's game by default. Friends can hear each other via party chat, so if u want to hear strangers too, u turn the game chat on. I know we expect it to be on by default, but they seem to be trying to keep their game experience non annoying, that seems to be the priority. Of course, it means lesser teamplay between strangers by default.

From my BF experience, i have had great team play without even understanding my squad mate's language. We ruled the game and my squad mates were german, i didn't understand a wo but complemented thier actions perfectly. Got Ace Squad Ribbons in every game and eon every match.

Well that's the nice thing about expensive hardware, little kids can't afford it. Besides, you can mute individual players.

I still want a universal setting along the likes of 'Mute every bugger who doesn't have a valid credit card attached to their account'. ;)

I still want a universal setting along the likes of 'Mute every bugger who doesn't have a valid credit card attached to their account'. ;)

What about a mute every non-friend user? Is there a setting for that?

I'd say the game is similar to a Crysis 2 in terms of linearity, level size and even pace. I'd say more than half of the game is pretty linear... maybe 1/3 or so of the levels are a bit more open. But even the parts that are linear aren't anywhere near a CoD. Many of the enemy encounters have multiple ways of going about them. You can play the game more stealthy, or more like a pure shooter and go balls to the wall. The owl adds a nice little dynamic to the gameplay too. Overall I think it was a pretty good SP campaign. I definitely enjoyed it more than BF4, which was mostly gun battle after gun battle.

Hmm...likening it to Crysis 2 doesn't paint a pretty picture in my head as I gave up on the campaign of Crysis 2 as I found it very boring but kept continuing for the pretty gfx, but the damn thing wouldn't end :p !

Lets see what I do on launch day. It is too damn costly here, maybe later.

The gameplay isn't really similar at all, I was referencing the level size, linearity and pace, since it was the closest game that I could compare it to that I've played personally. It's maybe a bit faster paced (it's been a long time since I played Crysis) but I guess it depends on how you play. It is definitely slower paced than previous KZ games for the most part.

I finally unlocked the laser pointer for the Valk and Vlug. It's a big improvement for these two. It lets me reliably hip fire again. I was a little disappointed that most guns so inaccurate when hip firing. ADS feels so unlike Killzone to me.

I love the names for some of the guns. The Valk, the Vlug, the Kameraad, the Punt, the Spoor. I see what you did there Guerrilla.
Those are all Dutch words.

This video has almost sold the game to me,even with the hefty price tag here:

I hope they add their own interesting Warzones with new maps too, and not just depend on the community for innovative ideas.
BTW, the devs said in the previous video that two new maps are coming in which facilitate a completely new type of gameplay. I hope they are something special and not just wide open sniper maps.

Back