KILLZONE Shadow Fall [PS4]

After seeing the gamersyde footage of the game at the Paris Gameshow, I'm floored by how good it looks. This is more than I expected so far from next-gen, and at launch. It looks so much better than the first reveal ... amazing.

http://www.gamersyde.com/stream_kil...singleplayer_gameplay_no_sound_-31077_en.html

I've only seen the streamed footage - bittorent isn't going very fast. Just started from the 2nd EU server, and now it's estimating less than 10 mins, so that's better.

This was updated with 60fps encode:smile:
http://www.gamersyde.com/news_pgw_killzone_shadow_fall_preview-14784_en.html

Game director of KZ:SF

kztwitterm4skw.jpg

https://twitter.com/StevenTerHeide1/status/396687609629786112

Just spent the week end over at the Paris Games week event and got my hands on KZ SF. The game was indeed the best looking game on the showfloor. I played the single player demo 4 times. Really beautiful effects, particles, character models is really good, especially the details on the clothes of the helghast. From the lighting to the reflections everything is on par or better than the PS4 reveal footage from february 21th.
Onlyy complain goes to the explosions when firing a grenade. Also hit detection on ennemies looks different from previous KZ. It looked like in KZ the ennemies had better reaction to the bullets. While playing I felt like bullets just went through ennemies body where in KZ2/3 they really reacted to the bullets.
The characters model look fine, not really next gen but I was expecting better from the original renders.

Gameplay was controls are intuitive. But goodbye to the old classic KZ2/3 controls, it's now kind of BF/COD-ied with only thing you can switch is either aiming & firing with the shoulder buttons or the triggers. + the classic inverse Y , X axis, hold crouch , aim buttons.

touchpad is really responsive, just swype to the direction you want to select the command and press L1 to unleash the owl.
The d-pad is also pretty useful Focus mod is mapped to the left d pad, radar scanner is on the right d pad, objectives is on the upper d pad arrow, and secondary weapon mod is on the bottom d pad.

The share button and PS home button were disabled. they blocked them so that we couldn't play with thePSUI I guess.

On the other side the multiplayer demo they had was really slow, unoptimized and when sprinting characters look like they were just speeding up. But it was playable but to me it felt more like 30 fps than the announced 60, but I guess the build was really old.

They had bunches of games , Killzone( latest build Vekta building level ) , Driveclub ( gamescom build ), Knack, AC IV, war thunder, dying light, contrast, blacklight retribution, resogun, octodad.
Only game missing was Infamous...They also had the crew, and xatchdogs but only through closed demo, not playable

15 seconds from disk to play. They shouldn't be calling it the XMB though! Sony need to name it.

The seX-e-MB :)

Just spent the week end over at the Paris Games week event and got my hands on KZ SF. The game was indeed the best looking game on the showfloor. I played the single player demo 4 times. Really beautiful effects, particles, character models is really good, especially the details on the clothes of the helghast. From the lighting to the reflections everything is on par or better than the PS4 reveal footage from february 21th.
Onlyy complain goes to the explosions when firing a grenade. Also hit detection on ennemies looks different from previous KZ. It looked like in KZ the ennemies had better reaction to the bullets. While playing I felt like bullets just went through ennemies body where in KZ2/3 they really reacted to the bullets.
The characters model look fine, not really next gen but I was expecting better from the original renders.

Gameplay was controls are intuitive. But goodbye to the old classic KZ2/3 controls, it's now kind of BF/COD-ied with only thing you can switch is either aiming & firing with the shoulder buttons or the triggers. + the classic inverse Y , X axis, hold crouch , aim buttons.

touchpad is really responsive, just swype to the direction you want to select the command and press L1 to unleash the owl.
The d-pad is also pretty useful Focus mod is mapped to the left d pad, radar scanner is on the right d pad, objectives is on the upper d pad arrow, and secondary weapon mod is on the bottom d pad.

The share button and PS home button were disabled. they blocked them so that we couldn't play with thePSUI I guess.

On the other side the multiplayer demo they had was really slow, unoptimized and when sprinting characters look like they were just speeding up. But it was playable but to me it felt more like 30 fps than the announced 60, but I guess the build was really old.

They had bunches of games , Killzone( latest build Vekta building level ) , Driveclub ( gamescom build ), Knack, AC IV, war thunder, dying light, contrast, blacklight retribution, resogun, octodad.
Only game missing was Infamous...They also had the crew, and xatchdogs but only through closed demo, not playable

I'm convinced! *throws hands in the air*

Do you know how recent was the KZSF build ?

I was wary about their animation change. In KZ3, I think they already toned down the enemy animation. They were a tad less expressive overall.

Do you know how recent was the KZSF build ?

I was wary about their animation change. In KZ3, I think they already toned down the enemy animation. They were a tad less expressive overall.

Well I didn't get any specific details on the build as there were no official members od GG team or any rp who could answer me. only staff guys who barely knew anything on the game , only there to help with the controls.
But from what I could see , it was the demo level of the building with the ostages you have to rescue. It was pretty smooth, I noticed no slowdown at all. game looked like it was between 40 and 60 fps, not locked at 30

Was the same as gamersyde footage here :

Yeah I noticed that too, the " exagerated holywood-like" death animation from KZ2 was toned down in KZ3 and looks like they also tuned it down for Shadowfall. There still some ragdoll. But man, I loved those death animation and body reaction in KZ2 =/

Also, the melee attacks feel less brutal than KZ3. And the moves are kinda repetitive. Samegoes for the bloodsplashes in KZ2 and 3. no more blood splashes on floor like before. gore 's been tuned down as well.

I guess the game is going for a lower PG rating.

The game is already rated M by ESRB. But shame they have toned down or phased out those features, they are some of the most interesting pieces of KZ2.

Maybe the older games were too gritty and violent for the mainstream audience, but I preferred them that way tbh.

I liked the hit reactions a lot, but the "Brutal Melee" as well as the barrage of swear words always struck me as nothing more than gratuitous, repetitive and cynical bull shit. Brutal Melee also looked silly more than anything else.

Well I didn't get any specific details on the build as there were no official members od GG team or any rp who could answer me. only staff guys who barely knew anything on the game , only there to help with the controls.
But from what I could see , it was the demo level of the building with the ostages you have to rescue. It was pretty smooth, I noticed no slowdown at all. game looked like it was between 40 and 60 fps, not locked at 30

Was the same as gamersyde footage here :

Yeah I noticed that too, the " exagerated holywood-like" death animation from KZ2 was toned down in KZ3 and looks like they also tuned it down for Shadowfall. There still some ragdoll. But man, I loved those death animation and body reaction in KZ2 =/

Also, the melee attacks feel less brutal than KZ3. And the moves are kinda repetitive. Samegoes for the bloodsplashes in KZ2 and 3. no more blood splashes on floor like before. gore 's been tuned down as well.

I guess the game is going for a lower PG rating.

How did the new controller feel? I mean, GG said in an interview at they have removed aim assist from the game as the new controller has enough precision to aim correctly without any assist. Did it feel that way? Did u miss the aim assist while playing or did it feel smooth n natural?

I thought they were gonig for Teen rating and hence the overall reduction in swearing and gore.

Maybe actually, at least on Amazon the game is already listed M.

Does ESRB's website have any more information? Or a previous news item?

I would be perfectly fine with a reduction in swearing. There was far too much swearing in Killzone 3.

In fact, I think I would enjoy the game even more if it kept the swearing to a couple of times or none at all during the entire game.

Maybe actually, at least on Amazon the game is already listed M.

Does ESRB's website have any more information? Or a previous news item?

I would be perfectly fine with a reduction in swearing. There was far too much swearing in Killzone 3.

In fact, I think I would enjoy the game even more if it kept the swearing to a couple of times or none at all during the entire game.

I agree. Resorting to gratuitous swearing to make a game/movie more 'adult' is like adding salt to shit food to make it 'taste better'...

I agree. Resorting to gratuitous swearing to make a game/movie more 'adult' is like adding salt to shit food to make it 'taste better'...

Whereas realistic or even over exaggerated body reactions to bullets or explosions is more like MSG, it makes everything taste better, even shit :smile:

How did the new controller feel? I mean, GG said in an interview at they have removed aim assist from the game as the new controller has enough precision to aim correctly without any assist. Did it feel that way? Did u miss the aim assist while playing or did it feel smooth n natural?

Yup totally, there's no aimbot or assist at all when aiming. The joystick are marvelous. The Y axis looks more precise. When you move the joystick and stop it just stops and the curve does its job really well.

Also cover is used with circle button, same as the sliding animation. I found it hard to constantly use it.
because when I only wanted to crouch, it looked like the character went to cover. I also would have loved them to implement the never used blind fire from KZ2 first gameplay video.

I even needed some adjustment when playing the multiplayer demo. I was used to the aim assist a little bit in KZ3. The only thing it just needed IMO was morebalance between the sensitivity. And oh well, there's virtually no input lag at all. It felt really smooth and confortable.
And when you hold the DS4 it feels so familiar almost feels like a DS3 with improved triggers and joysticks.
Really light pad as well. And forget all those talks about the light bar reflection on TV. When playing you just focus on the screen and what's going on. There might be some moments when the light bar changes to show your health but it's pretty subtle.

On the weapon side I don't really like the main rifle at all, feels too sci-fi...So I was only switching and using the helgast rifles. I would' ve loved to have the classic M62 and remember the guys back with KZ 1 saying that they would never go for sci fi laser like weapons. But then the made those plasma guns in KZ3 lol.

Anyway can't wait !

Last edited by a moderator:
Back