Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain & Ground Zeroes

@Nesh

Actually , to quote Wikipedia, "cut scenes and models were developed in-house at Konami and directed by Japanese film director Ryuhei Kitamura, reflecting his dynamic signature style, utilizing bullet-time photography and choreographed gunplay extensively. Kitamura created many of the game's cinematics to look identical to those in the original Metal Gear Solid, but upon inspection Hideo Kojima had him redo them in his own style."

Silicon Knights is blameless.

I have no idea what Kojima was Thinking with Twin Snakes then. Unless there is also something else behind the story. Kojima's next MGS games didnt take that cheesy route fortunately.

I have no doubt this is PS3 footage. Although amazing what they are doing, the slightly unstable framerate kind of gives it away.Though one could argue that this is during night/rain so maybe this causes extra stress on the engine. Super psyched for the final game and I hope it's a cross-buy title

it's the PS4 footage. Kojima said it and some journalist assisted to te current gen demo the day before.

There s another demo coming, which is said to be different from this one. From what I heard, One was supposed to be ps3 and one ps4. I could be wrong, as its all hearsay for me. So, the next one will be ps3? or is all this just wrong info?

Car/spot/flash lights don't cast shadows and there are no footsteps in the mud so maybe that footage is PS3.
It's hard to tell anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought it looked improved over the last time it was demoed. The lighting seemed more extensive and they also had the tent fabric flapping in the wind. I'm guessing it was the PS4 version.

30 fps on current gen, 60 fps and better lighting and res on next gen.

Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes, the open world prologue to Metal Gear Solid 5 that's headed to both current generation machinery and the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, is shooting for 60 frames per second on next-gen.

"For current gen we're aiming at 30 fps and for next-gen it's 60 fps," Hideo Kojima told Eurogamer at the Tokyo Game Show.

Kojima's using the show to debut the next-gen version of Ground Zeroes via presentations on Sony's stage, with the demo he showed two weeks ago running on hardware equivalent to the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.

Kojima expressed some caution about the next-gen versions, though. "This game was originally developed for multiple platforms, multiple devices and multiple generations," he said.

"Fox Engine was created with the current generation in mind. Maybe with other games that are being created exclusively for next-gen it might look a little behind."

The next-gen versions of Ground Zeroes will provide noticeable improvements, though.

"Of course for the next generation the resolution and the lighting will look much better," Kojima said. "Gameplay wise it will be the same - we're trying to make it as close as possible. The gameplay experience won't be affected whether it's next gen or current gen."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...id-5-ground-zeroes-60-fps-on-ps4-and-xbox-one

So I was right on the lighting being better :) I could tell it looked more dramatic right away.

Well that was pretty terrible gameplay wise. First he "sneaks" past everyone by putting the entire camp to sleep, and then he starts gunning everyone down while taking a million hits himself. Wasn't this supposed to be a stealth game? This is a strange way of showing that if that's what it is. I don't like all the slowmo and regenerating health.

He purposely got caught to prove that the game can be played in many ways.
Slow-mo if spotted is not stupid per-se, I see why he wants it, but Splinter Cell deals with the same situation without it so it's bit too hand-holding IMO.

IMO there isn't much difference between shooting the enemies to put them to sleep, or shooting them to kill them. Proper stealth is never being seen, and leaving no traces behind.

I understand that but the more freedom I have the better.
One might just choose stealth approach all the times but I like the fact that I will be allowed to play as I like.

I gunned through the whole MGS4....:oops:
They put so many guns in the game, I used them. The game is playable as an action game too.

Btw, haven't watched the above video yet.

I gunned through the whole MGS4....:oops:
They put so many guns in the game, I used them. The game is playable as an action game too.

Btw, haven't watched the above video yet.

I played it as an action game as well, was great. Hope that this MGS allows this also...vids look very nice, I also like the graphics...cool!

The best part about that video is tha ur chopper can be taken down. Good to know that. So, its not all about "get to the choppa!"

@ cornsnake: People had the same problem with MGS4 too. Why sneak when u can shoot through it all? Same with Deus Ex:HR. I am sure in game rewards will make it meaningful.

The point is , you have the option to play it the way you want. and also, if things go wrong (you get spotted), it isn't game over for you like the old games. Its good to have it. Remember, MGS 4 had a dedicated button to turn auto aim on and off. its all about letting you play the way you want to.

I am sure the demo had God mode on, cos he just took too many bullets for an MGS game :p

@ cornsnake: People had the same problem with MGS4 too. Why sneak when u can shoot through it all? Same with Deus Ex:HR. I am sure in game rewards will make it meaningful.

The point is , you have the option to play it the way you want. and also, if things go wrong (you get spotted), it isn't game over for you like the old games. Its good to have it. Remember, MGS 4 had a dedicated button to turn auto aim on and off. its all about letting you play the way you want to.

I disagree that this is merely about recreating more options. Like the regenerating health, it used to be you had to spend limited recovery items on it. Now it comes back by itself, trivialising the long term effect of it. You weren't going take risks if your were low on health.

MGS4 already felt like dumbing down to appeal to a wider audience, and MGS5 seems to continue that trend. I don't have a lot faith that they will deliver a proper stealth game.

DXHR actually did it right, giving both options without trivialising either.

No more rations? Thats concerning. I thought we would have rations and this is just God mode demo. I don't like the new HUD either.

HEre some Kojima words to the press:
So the idea is pretty simple. "A certain person is located at this place," so you find them, rescue the person, and call in a helecopter so you can evacuate. That's the story. From a game design point of view, there aren't many moments that say "You must do this in this situation." In a real military base keys are located in vehicles, so the player can drive a care if they want, but nothing tells you "Get in a car and drive away." That's something players decide.

rest of the article:
"While the open world doesn't necessarily eliminate game design, it's interesting to see this perspective. Kojima also mentioned they did not want to mark locations, but stated, "It might be easier if they were there."

Along with game design, he also talked about missions that ran alongside the main missions and what he dubbed "dumb" missions. These "dumb" missions were designed for messing around and raising your ranking. Kojima noted that completing the main and side missions would slowly reveal the overarching storyline of MGSV."

http://8th-circuit.com/content/metal-gear-solid-v-eliminates-game-design

I'm a bit confused .... Ground Zero and Phantom Pain are different games ? Which one is next gen only ?

I like these changes in MGS5. It's not perfect yet but he's looking for fan feedback in making adjustments in regards to slow mo and tagging. Just play it on the eventual extreme mode with 1 shot deaths if that's your thing.

I used to be a stickler to playing games the "right" way and as flawlessly as possible but I realized I just don't have the time or patience to anymore. Somewhere in between is my preference now. I think TLoU on Hard felt just about right in terms of punishment and forgiveness. I never got through any of my replays of MGS4 because of the tedium of restarting levels because I felt like I messed up getting spotted. It all ended up being a matter of remembering to play out the same actions over and over to bypass the guard routes anyways. Not exactly fun to me anymore.

So, I don't think having a bigger window of opportunity to get out of some situations in stealth games is a bad thing. Just put in enough options for the hardcore to be pleased.

Back