News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still like the Wednesday before Thanksgiving release date, but that could be problematic given the massive travel that happens in the US. I think they wont go for the same day as PS4, perhaps the week after on a Friday.

I doubt many stores would hold midnight launches on that Wednesday as well.

I think its a good date in the US as it will satisfy the day-one hard-core gamers that weekend and then ideally have time to re-stock in preparation for the black Friday rush. I don't think you'd want the hard-core and soccer moms competing for consoles on the 29th.

Most boring possible date. Not early or late enough to cause any controversy at all. One week later than PS4 in USA and one week earlier in EU, so there's not even any controversy there

Meh, I had hoped for the 5th, the earlier next gen goodness comes the better.

More interesting is on Xbox wire they state:

we are on path to have the biggest launch of an Xbox ever.

Looking back 2001 Xbox did 722k units it's first NPD. so that's impressive. But then Wiki tells me it didn't launch in PAL until March 2002. So 700k is basically a worldwide figure and not that impressive to beat.

Day One's are back in stock.

As a result of this incredible consumer demand and the development progress on Xbox One, I am thrilled to share that today we are making available a limited number of additional Xbox One Day One consoles for pre-order. We have coordinated with our retail partners to make it easy for you to reserve your Xbox One today.

Nah, just allocations moved from the MS store back to brick and mortar, that can actually sell the thing. ;)

They never went out of stock at Microsoft.com. Bit of sleight of hand?

Or are they releasing new preorders to brick and mortar?

Edit: Day One's still unavailable at Amazon.com, so there's that.

It can't be that hard to stamp "Day One" on a controller, and packaging. There's also free FIFA14 I suppose, or is that for every pre-order?

Hmm, first I've heard on Xb1's margins.

http://windowsitpro.com/paul-thurro...+windowsitpro/wininfo+(WIN>News>WinInfo+News)

Mehdi also addressed a central issue to console production: It has never made money selling the actual devices. But this time around, Microsoft hopes to change that.

"We're looking to be breakeven or low margin at worse on hardware," he said of the Xbox One. "We make money selling additional games, services and other capabilities on top. And as we can cost reduce our box as we've done with the 360. We'll do that to continue to price reducing debt even more competitive with our offering."

It's hard to say if he means over the generation, because I know in the past MS has stated they like to be break even on hardware over the entire gen with 360.

Overall he probably means even at launch though, considering 499.

@majornelson 9:40 AM
Direct from the factory: The first case of #XboxOne rolls of the assembly line say.ly/GKI6ELY

1S4WnnD.jpg

6fWfX5Z.jpg

So a solid 2.5 mos of production is ahead. Pretty down to the wire though. When did they start making 360s?

MS said yesterday that multiple millions of units will be available this year. So that should kill off the yield rumors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back