Nintendo Conference

It also seems to be a custom Power7, not Power6.

According to Nintendo, it's not Blu-ray, but it is high density, and "space won't be an issue". Proprietary Blu-ray based format, probably.

And, to poke another hole in the spec sheet, no hard drive either.

The only demos running on the Wii U were the Zelda, Mario Party, and Bird/Fish demos.

And Ghost Recon Online. It was pretty awful with the load times and the already unstable framerate taking a deep plunge whenever you fired the gun (smoke on-screen). This and the rain scenes in the Japanese Garden House demo make it seem like it has trouble with transparencies. :s Of course, it is early... to be fair. >_>

And Ghost Recon Online. It was pretty awful with the load times and the already unstable framerate taking a deep plunge whenever you fired the gun (smoke on-screen). This and the rain scenes in the Japanese Garden House demo make it seem like it has trouble with transparencies. :s Of course, it is early... to be fair. >_>

Or that the game is in Alpha. Or that it was a design choice by Ubisoft. Or that Wii U hardware isn't even finished being made... Seriously, you guys are determined.

http://www.computerandvideogames.co...nsole-and-controller-wont-be-sold-separately/

We asked a company spokesperson at the firm's VIP stand at E3 2011 in Los Angeles today about the price of each item. He told us that there would only be one bundled RRP, adding: "Both the controller and the console will be sold as one unit. You won't be able to buy the controller alone."

The rep also told us that multiplayer games being created for the system are only being designed to accomodate one tablet-style controller, whilst other players will need to use a Wiimote. It is currently unknown whether it is possible to sync more than one of the new controllers to a single Wii U.

While I can understand that because consumers might freak out if they see a $100 controller in a store, that limits a lot of gaming possibilities. I thought this was going to solve screen watching in split-screen games.

Supporting only a single controller seems dumb. So if I go to a friends house to play Madden NFL he can call plays privately on the controller, but I have to use the TV? Talk about a home field advantage!

While I can understand that because consumers might freak out if they see a $100 controller in a store, that limits a lot of gaming possibilities. I thought this was going to solve screen watching in split-screen games.
Consider practicalities for a second please. How much wireless bandwidth will this thing require, feeding a maybe 800*whatever screen @ 60Hz? Quite a bit most likely, considering redundancy, error correction and so on. You don't want your display to start glitching and crapping out because a packet here or there got lost, that could easily kill you in an action game.

Now multiply that by FOUR?

It's probably just not feasible with today's tech, or not at a cost-effective level.

Supporting only a single controller seems dumb. So if I go to a friends house to play Madden NFL he can call plays privately on the controller, but I have to use the TV? Talk about a home field advantage!

If a particular approach has game balance issue, then the developers will workaround it, or think of other ways to do it.

It's the same for Move. Some are concerned with Move advantages/disadvantages in a mixed DS3 and Move FPS, the developers design and test the game to make sure the final result is balanced.

I just don't think developers are as dumb as people think.

Consider practicalities for a second please. How much wireless bandwidth will this thing require, feeding a maybe 800*whatever screen @ 60Hz? Quite a bit most likely, considering redundancy, error correction and so on. You don't want your display to start glitching and crapping out because a packet here or there got lost, that could easily kill you in an action game.

Now multiply that by FOUR?

It's probably just not feasible with today's tech, or not at a cost-effective level.

Yeah I considered that but a 10 foot USB cable is only a couple bucks so there's certainly a feasible wired option. Maybe they just really don't like the idea of only one person being wireless for some reason.

Actually now that I think about it, didn't one developer from EA say during the presentation how this new controller would allow each player to design and choose their own plays in Madden without the other person peeking? That would require at least two tablet controllers being synced to one WiiU. I don't think they would suggest that idea in their own E3 show if it isn't even possible in reality.

It might be possible that CVG got it wrong. Maybe the Nintendo rep thought the question was if you could buy the WiiU console separate from the tablet controller and his answer was mistranslated?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I saw the Nintendo booth today, I'm curious if I was the only one here that was brutally disappointed. I talked with one of the dudes there, they didn't have anything to show that showcased the machines graphics so most of the stuff looked like Wii games. Their focus for this show was just to run videos that displayed the possibilities of the controller, so clearly they have a lot of work to do. If this thing is indeed releasing late 2012 then I fear it won't have much impact on the 360/PS3 at all.

Or that the game is in Alpha. Or that it was a design choice by Ubisoft. Or that Wii U hardware isn't even finished being made... Seriously, you guys are determined.

The finished hardware does not exist that would be really really strange if it did. The finished hardware is most likely to be "done" only so that they are able to actually produce the needed consoles for launch. For example 3 months before launch. Like other consoles they are working with substitute cpu and gpu´s that are meant to perform along the lines with the fnished product but most likely below.

I did. But I've also seen this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cuXgRVMvZ0&feature=player_embedded

thanks to this thread:

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=60015

And I think I was more impressed. Not saying that the WiiU couldn't beat it, just that I didn't find any of the WiiU demos to be gamechangers. If you find a high quality video of the WiiU demo in question please post it. I may be missing something big. Feel free to help me out and point out what it is!

Dude there are like miles of difference between that Tri-Ace demo and the Wii U tech demo. I'm not even going to get into polygon count and the amount of effects running at once.

Just look at the fluidity and drawing distance. Also, the roundness of the objects. All of that going on at one time on the screen.

The finished hardware does not exist that would be really really strange if it did. The finished hardware is most likely to be "done" only so that they are able to actually produce the needed consoles for launch. For example 3 months before launch. Like other consoles they are working with substitute cpu and gpu´s that are meant to perform along the lines with the fnished product but most likely below.

Why are you telling me this? That was the main point of the post your quoting. I'm well aware that it doesn't exist.

IMO the Tri-Ace was more impressive...it looked CGish and everything looked solid/shaded. The bird demo looked like it was running PC hardware with no AA and lots of shimmering. It also looked like polygons with texture flat textures pasted on.

IMO the Tri-Ace was more impressive...it looked CGish and everything looked solid/shaded. The bird demo looked like it was running PC hardware with no AA and lots of shimmering. It also looked like polygons with texture flat textures pasted on.

That looked nothing like CG. I could see the polygon points clearly and there was aliasing everywhere as well as a shallow range of effects.

I'm sure you would like it better though because you would like anything better than something made by Nintendo just by that post. So have fun with it. Also, will someone please stop me if I bother to try to point out factual differences in graphics to someone who doesn't know how to tell the difference between graphics as a matter of design and graphics as a matter of capability again. Sometimes I wonder if these people actually believe what they themselves are saying.

Well at least we know Nintendo won't be bleeding money like crazy like MS and Sony.

Tri-ace has been doing research on advanced graphics for a while. This is Nintendo's first try at pixel shaders :LOL:

Tri-ace has been doing research on advanced graphics for a while. This is Nintendo's first try at pixel shaders :LOL:
Wasn't tri-ACE engine also running on 360/PS3 at 720p as well?

If the bird video is anything to go by I'd say WiiU would have no problem running it (at 1080p perhaps?). We'd just need the tri-ACE engine running on it. Also Reggie didn't specify/refused to disclose who made the tech vid, so it could possibly be outsourced (possibly to the same guys who did the "rebirth" GameCube FMV/real-time video).

Back